Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to do about moss on roof tiles blocking the gutters?

(61 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Thu 09-Jul-20 17:30:09

I've just looked outside with this constant rain to see my gutters are blocked with large pieces of moss. I have those deeply ridged, sanded concrete roof tiles. Moss loves it & grows into fat cushions which then fall into the gutters. What can I do about this? I can only think a 3-storey scaffold & get someone to physically brush the roof! But that would be super ££££. Has anyone got any better ideas?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:36:26

I feed the birds and pigeons sit on the roof waiting to be fed. They pass the time by picking up moss and throwing it onto the terrace??

SueDonim Thu 09-Jul-20 17:38:13

We've had the moss removed from out roof and I think it was about £250 three or four years ago. Don’t have the roof power washed as it can damage the tiles.

Humduh Thu 09-Jul-20 17:44:52

I went up a ladder with a rake and slid the moss out. Did not fall luckily but did wobble. Independence at its shakiest!

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 17:47:14

Do you have trees near the house, Mary? That can encourage moss to grow as the roof is then damp and shaded.

I think every job carried out at height requires scaffolding these days, that's what pushes up the cost unfortunately.
It is worth enquiring around to get various estimates because this could eventually damage your roof.

Ellianne Thu 09-Jul-20 18:04:25

Moss on roof tiles was one of the things highlighted on our survey report. We had a brilliant firm tackle it straightaway so as not to cause any further damage to the tiles, as Callistemon says. They used a special bio product, cost was £1,050. Be careful not to use cowboys who will pressure wash the tiles, it needs to be scraped off. Someone in a close by road has just had it done and they have bleached the tiles with the chemicals.

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 18:49:03

The last time the window cleaner came he cleared the gutters for me for an extra £15 - with camera photos before and after to show he had done it.
This is a normal-sized 4 bed house but 2 not 3 storeys.
I would shop around and ask your neighbours.

MiniMoon Thu 09-Jul-20 19:00:22

Our window cleaner came last week and cleaned the gutters. Unfortunately he dislodged a couple of tiles which we will now have to have fixed by a roofer.
The ridging tiles need fixing so we really need to find one.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 19:06:42

Moss on the roof was something that I'd never come across until I bought this house and I'm amazed at how much there is. There isn't a day that I don't have to go and sweep up clumps of the stuff from the patio and, although I've only been here 1 year, I've had to have the gutters cleaned out twice already. My neighbours paid just under £1000 to have their roof cleaned and treated with some protective spray that's supposed to hinder moss forming. They were robbed! I've considered having the whole roof re done when I can afford it and I'll make sure they don't use concrete tiles when I do.

Puzzler61 Thu 09-Jul-20 19:07:51

We found moss a problem too Mary and after cleaning the gutters, DH bought “hedgehog brush” and laid it along all the horizontal gutters. It was very inexpensive to do. We got it from Amazon and it comes in lengths.
Once in place the moss can only lodge on the bristly hedgehog, then it falls to ground when more rain comes or birds move it off. Hedgehog doesn’t stop the flow of water into the guttering.

Ellianne Thu 09-Jul-20 19:08:13

Why were they robbed Chewbacca? Hiw long did the job take?

Washerwoman Thu 09-Jul-20 19:13:46

We get a lot on the north facing side of our roof and recently a company came around and did a hard sell on cleaning it off.We have rosemary tiles on the roof and although it's very sound they would break if scrubbed hard.DH was in the building trade and said it was not necessary to remove it,probably holding our roif together !Plus I hate the idea of chemicals.The birds take loads for their nests,and at times there is quite a bit on the path to sweep up,but it takes very little time.We just clean our gutters a couple of times a year.

MaryTheBookeeper Thu 09-Jul-20 19:32:58

The problem roof is east facing and there are no trees nearby. The house is in an open position. We have no moss on the west side funnily enough. I guess I'll just have to keep getting the gutters cleaned every few months because there's no budget for a 3 storey scaffold. I bet it'd take no time at all with a stiff brush if I could only get up there safely!

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 19:40:10

I think you'd get moss whatever sort of tiles you had. We get it and we've three different sorts of tiles on the house. It dries up and falls off in hot weather.

The gutter 'hedgehog' sounds like your best option, or just be resigned to having the gutters cleaned out periodically.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 19:41:39

Ellianne

Why were they robbed Chewbacca? Hiw long did the job take?

About half a day perhaps? Two men did it. And the moss on my neighbour's roof is as bad as mine now; hence "they were robbed".

FarNorth Thu 09-Jul-20 19:48:14

We had a roof leak, apparently caused by moss which had pushed its way under some tiles, letting water get in.

newnanny Thu 09-Jul-20 20:12:04

A roofing company will sort this out for you. Whatever you do don't go risking going on the roof. Leave it to a professional.

blossom14 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:03:41

I agree with Washerwoman's DH I am sure the moss is holding our roof tiles together and it is on both east and west facing areas.

Ellianne Thu 09-Jul-20 21:10:51

Oh yes Chewbacca, they were. Ours took 4 days!

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 21:20:58

4 days Ellianne? shock Is it a huge roof? Our houses are just bog standard 3 bed semis and the 2 men were definitely not there a full day. It was a blisteringly hot day and I remember feeling rather sorry for them whilst they were up there.

Ellianne Thu 09-Jul-20 21:32:24

No, not overly huge. They scraped away for 2+ days and had a big hoover machine to suck up the bits and pieces. Then on the final day they treated it with the product. The property is on the coast so I think the roof suffers more.

kircubbin2000 Thu 09-Jul-20 22:01:47

I never had moss until my dad let gypsies powerhose the roof while I was out.They put a coating on and it has been a mess ever since. The yard is always full of lumps that have fallen off.Dont know how to fix it.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 22:06:00

Our window cleaners cleaned out the gutters too, I think for £20.
It is important to keep them clear.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Jul-20 22:12:49

We have a foreign roofer and his family, living opposite us.
2/3 weeks ago he cleaned his own roof.
He was up there, brushing the tiles with a small brush, bit by bit.
I was so worried that he might fall, but he was agile and sure footed.
When he had cleaned it all, he then sprayed it with something.
Now the roof is so much cleaner than all the others nearby.

I would love to know how much he charges for such a good job, but we have solar panels, and there is not much actual roof to see, but we do get moss dropping.

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:58:11

We have just had a real downpour. Gutters overflowing all round the bungalow. N,S,E&W.

All sorted - buy a bungalow and marry a man with a ladder!
He didn’t go out till the sun came out?