Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

After toenails, how about ears?

(26 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 14-Jul-20 11:40:55

The thread now running about toenails changing as we age, made me think about ears.
Have yours become bigger as you have got older?
I thought mine were OK, but seemingly overnight they appear to have grown. Why?

Pantglas2 Tue 14-Jul-20 11:46:52

I’ve been lucky with ears - small and neat, flat to me head but my lobes seem to have lost weight (sadly unlike the rest of me?).

I find I need to use the plastic backers rather than butterflies with earrings otherwise studs sag!

annodomini Tue 14-Jul-20 11:51:47

I don't feel dressed without earrings and have quite a collection of them. If family can't think of anything else to give me, they buy me earrings! Some in better taste than others!
I bought a pack of 'butterflies' from Ebay but the hole in every one of them is too small for the wires on all my earrings. Luckily they were cheap. M&S used to sell these, but I haven't seen them recently.

annodomini Tue 14-Jul-20 11:53:43

PS I don't think my ears have either grown or shrunk since my sister pierced them for me in 1967, during a quiet time in A&E when she was a junior doctor.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:58:59

My ears are sadly neglected as they are one part of my body that isn’t crumbling with age so I don’t pay them much attention!
Unless I count tinnitus which a I’ve had in my left ear for many years.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 13:09:11

Mine haven't grown yet, but my blokes ears and nose have. He's thinning on top and looks like a two handled jug when he's just back from the barbers.

EllanVannin Tue 14-Jul-20 13:09:32

Just looked at them now. I appear to have been lucky, no sagging wrinkly lobes---that's a bonus I must say grin I never bother with how the ears look, normally.
I wish the face was as smooth as the ear-lobes. They can still hear a pin drop which is the main thing.

PinkCakes Tue 14-Jul-20 13:28:49

Ears and noses carry on growing, don't they? At least I think they do. I'm lucky that mine are quite small, but my nose appears to be wider than it was (to keep up with my plump face) grin

Callistemon Tue 14-Jul-20 14:30:54

I can't see them, must be the lockdown hair.
They certainly can't hear any better.

ladymuck Tue 14-Jul-20 14:32:21

Can't say I've noticed.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Jul-20 14:33:04

My ears look exactly the same as they always did, they just don't function as well as they always did.

Bellanonna Tue 14-Jul-20 15:02:32

No, they’re just the same

ninathenana Tue 14-Jul-20 17:07:53

Hate that I can no longer insert earrings due to arthritic fingers. Have been wearing them every day for the last 50 yrs

LadyGracie Tue 14-Jul-20 17:13:32

I have lovely small ears, probably my best feature!

Urmstongran Tue 14-Jul-20 17:21:01

My lobes each have a crease on them. I read once it’s called ‘Frank’s sign’ after a doctor. (Google and be scared). Julius Caesar had them - they are on statues. Bilateral, as mine are.
Oh ‘eck ...

polyester57 Tue 14-Jul-20 17:28:52

I always look at people´s ears. It seemed to me, as a child, that old people´s ears were huge. Read somewhere that ears keep on growing. Also, there is this business of a wrinkled area just in front of the ears, which to me is a definite sign of aging. I keep applying cream in the hope of preventing this. Can anyone say that it´s worked?

harrigran Tue 14-Jul-20 23:24:23

My ears are just fine, lobes remain small and neat because I never had them pierced or wore earrings.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-20 23:45:17

My earlobe are stretched from wearing cheap, heavy earrings when I was too young to realise that everything has a consequence.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Jul-20 23:57:20

The pierced holes in my ears appear to have closed up. Pity because I've got loads of really lovely ear rings.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Jul-20 06:36:42

Just looked at my ears in the mirror.

No idea if they are bigger, smaller or the same as usual, as I don’t really examine them.

Mine have two piercings in each ear, always wear two sleepers of different sizes.

Don’t think having your ears pierced should make such a difference harrigran unless you wear really heavy ones constantly.

Esspee Wed 15-Jul-20 07:26:59

I must be odd. I have no idea what my ears looked like before or what they look like now. (Must have a look in the mirror when I get out of bed?).
I have always had hair long enough to cover them and I don't use a mirror mutch.
Never wanted to punch a hole in my body for decorative purposes so perhaps that explains my lack of observation.

Sparkling Sat 18-Jul-20 14:11:05

I thought it was only men whose ears got bigger along with their noses.

EllanVannin Sat 18-Jul-20 14:17:07

So long as both keep the reading glasses in place, who cares ?

Auntieflo Sat 18-Jul-20 15:08:51

It's odd how perception differs isn't it.

I had always thought my ears were neat and small, and I have never had pierced ears, or worn earrings.
But in the last year I am sure my ears have grown. ? Not the lobes, but just the length from top to bottom.

Chewbacca, your post brought back memories of when my mum asked me to pome something through her ears, because the holes had closed up. Ugh! I couldn't do it.
Scarred for life now. grin

shysal Sat 18-Jul-20 17:30:04

I also think it is only men whose ears keep growing.