Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can I stop my feet getting blisters?

(9 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Wed 15-Jul-20 11:10:46

It doesn't seem to matter what I wear on my feet these days, I get blisters. The soles a my feet are very soft. Today I've been on a regular walk wearing cotton socks & sketchers trainers & I've come back with a wide blister on the soft bit behind the big & next toe. I often have to put plasters on the bottom of my feet to prevent blisters. Could it be being physically too heavy & all the pressure on the foot? I'd like to lose 2 stone. If I'm not wearing my sketchers I'm in Gabor sandals or wide fit boots. Anyone else have this?

Grannynannywanny Wed 15-Jul-20 11:25:00

MaryTheBookeeper I bought the comfiest socks ever in one of the camping shops. They were labelled anti blister socks. Tbh I only bought them because they were in the bargain bucket and was sceptical of the anti blister claim.

They are so comfy. It’s a double layer of fabric, the inner layer being a very soft fine layer of cotton. I’ve worn them with new boots and no need for break in period. Any friction is between the 2 layers rather than a normal single layer rubbing on your skin.

I bought my gd some for her school adventure holiday and she loved them.

Grannynannywanny Wed 15-Jul-20 11:34:01

MaryTheBookeeper Just checked and they are still available. Here is the link.. www.trespass.com/hadley-womens-socks?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0rr4BRCtARIsAB0_48NRsadDIVUiTxyv3aEEIr6tcoIyNS-iKUJhZ781utqCl2k9Bf9XWU4aAnsyEALw_wcB#color_code=Marine+Marl%5C%2Fraspberry+Marl&size_legacy=6%2F9

Fennel Wed 15-Jul-20 11:35:35

I was advised years ago to toughen the skin on my feet to protect from blistering - Rub skin with surgical spirit. Especially your heels.
That was in the days when I was going to buy my first pair of walking boots.
I don't even know if you can buy surgical spirit now.

Fennel Wed 15-Jul-20 11:38:50

www.superdrug.com/Health/First-Aid/Antiseptic-Creams-%26-Gels/Care-Surgical-Spirit-200ml/p/642132

maytime2 Wed 15-Jul-20 11:46:37

My mother, who was nursing before the war, swore by surgical spirit to "toughen up" the feet. Given that they were on their feet so much I'm sure that a recommendation from someone like her would be helpful.

midgey Wed 15-Jul-20 11:50:45

Really good shoes/boots help. I am not sure that Skechers provide enough support for your feet if you are walking as opposed to being on your feet...if you see what I mean! I have found that these days I have to change my shoes even if I am only ambling with the dog for her very short night walk.

ExD Wed 15-Jul-20 11:59:21

When I did my teacher training at ballet school 50odd years ago we were told to use surgical spirit on our TOES. The cushion on the bottom of our feet get thin as we age and no amount of meths or spirit will help the bottom of your feet, better using moisturiser here
Its going to be a case of buying a larger size shoe and a foam insole for comfort and replacing them regularily. If you can afford it a visit to a podiatrist is the best line of attack, but they are expensive especially their made to measure insoles, but a good set is well worth the money.
But you'll need some larger walking shoes.
Hotter shoes, also expensive, are very comfy.

Nonogran Wed 15-Jul-20 12:35:14

I like the sound of those blister free walking socks. I also find that sheepskin shoe & boot insoles from the cobbler on the high street are very helpful too. I wear Clogs in the garden/out to the bin etc & line them with the sheepskin insoles. Lovely!