Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need a new perfume - fast.

(222 Posts)
kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 18:41:03

We have Dgs4 (8) and dgd (7) here. Dgd was upset about his parent's divorcing 4 years ago. He loves his stepfather but sometimes has these wobbles.

I was hugging him and he suddenly said that I smell like an old lady.

I'm hoping it was perfume and nothing else!!

My current perfume is Aromatics by Clinique - suggestions please.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 18:43:28

Tom Ford---Black Orchid. Scrummy.

Daisymae Thu 13-Aug-20 18:45:53

Floral Street have a good range - new light and different without being overpowering. You can buy a little discovery sample set to see which ones you prefer. They are also sustainable, what more could you want. Just Google them.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 18:47:42

Bloom . Gucci. Expensive but delicious. (IMO of course)

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 18:53:02

Aromatics has probably had its day kitty (don’t want to hurt your feelings).
Children are allowed to be so blunt aren’t they?

Do you want something as exotic as Aromatics? Or do you fancy a complete change?

CanadianGran Thu 13-Aug-20 18:53:18

Off to the beauty counter you go! Wander about, perhaps ask the clerk what is new and noteworthy. Let them you know your preference for base scent, for instance floral, musk or citrus notes.

We are all so different; what one loves another will turn their nose up (literally). I just googled 'best new perfumes for summer 2020' and was surprised at the expense of some suggested. Think of it as an investment; you will imprint a memory in your grandchildren.

yorkie20 Thu 13-Aug-20 18:55:50

Jo Malone perfumes are wonderful

muffin Thu 13-Aug-20 19:21:30

Viktor and Rolf have a perfume called Flowerbomb, got it for Christmas one year, and everyone compliments me on how wonderful i smell when i wear it, and ask me what it is.

kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 19:25:29

I should have said, perfumes dont last on me but Aromatics did.

puzzler, I'm cut to the quick!grin

Isn't that a weird expression?

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:32:48

It was my sister’s “signature fragrance” but she stopped wearing it (says running away) ...... about 15 years ago).

There are so many, too many to choose from, but can you give us an idea of what you would like people to get a whiff of as you pass them?
* a light floral
* a woody almost masculine fragrance
* heavy long lasting perfume like Aromatics
* herbal notes
* green, sharp fragrance
* sexy ?

kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 19:34:40

You're making it worse now!!

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:47:36

(Slinks always with tail between legs) Sorry kitty ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:03:45

Jo Malone or Jo Loves, I used to wear Clinique fragrance until DS said it was an old lady smell and that was 10 years ago!

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 20:04:03

Perfume likes and dislikes are very subjective, I have at the moment Hermes Eau de Merveilles my favourite for a while now a blend of vetiver, oak cedar for the top notes according to the blurb Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay, nice and floral but fades quickly. These next two last, Guerlain Mitsouko my late m-i-law first bought this for me, I've liked it ever since quite strong and a bit peppery, hope it's not too old lady ish, it was launched a long time ago, but I find some of the older scents more memorable. I also have Chanel's Coco and like their No. 5 both classics imo.

DanniRae Thu 13-Aug-20 20:08:45

I love Jo Malone "Grapefuit"...........definitely not old ladyish!

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:08:54

I like Coco Chanel’s Mademoiselle , it is a sweet perfume I.M.O.

rockgran Thu 13-Aug-20 20:10:32

Apparently "old person smell" is a real thing. (I think there was a thread on it recently.} It can develop as early as 40 and is caused by the chemical compound nonenal. It can be helped by using persimmon soap. Unfortunately it is rather expensive.

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 20:14:10

One of my grandma's doused herself in 4711, I associated that with old ladies when I was a young gal!

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:15:59

A very good reason for wearing perfume rockgran.
It will go higher on my purchasing priority list (near hair dye and fungal nail treatment).

Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 20:16:35

I hate Aromatics with a vengeance! So many women seem to wear it....

You will need to choose a new one yourself as perfume smells different on everyone.

Katyj Thu 13-Aug-20 20:19:12

I had some samples sent from Jo loves the Lemon leaves one is fab very fresh and different not heavy or cloying and it lasted all day.

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 20:22:46

My daughter always said I liked old lady smelling perfumes.
I might have to try Aromatics.
It sounds very exotic. smile

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-20 20:28:31

Aromatics is the oldest Clinique perfume - it goes back to the early 1970s. If you like it why not look at more modern Clinique fragrances?

I hope it isn't nonenal... ?

J52 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:43:07

In the summer I wear Clarins Eau des Jardins. In the winter Dior Joy. But Kitty you couldn’t wear the same as me. ??

SpringyChicken Thu 13-Aug-20 20:53:24

Rub yourself all over with a Haribo. You'll definitely not smell like old lady then. Or perhaps Trésor by Lancôme?