Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pillow suggestions for side sleeper

(45 Posts)
kjmpde Thu 27-Aug-20 22:46:28

I wonder if you could suggest a pillow for a side sleeper which doesn't cost a lot of money. I have seen some as much as £140. Seen some on the shopping channels but some reviews are poor. Has anybody got suggestions, heat is not a problem but stopping neck pain is.

Nannytopsy Thu 27-Aug-20 23:34:51

I bought a pack of two from Sainsbugs 3 days ago - about £15 I think. Firm for head and neck support. I am delighted with them. I use just one and don’t wake with a stiff neck and a headache.

geekesse Thu 27-Aug-20 23:39:42

I use one firm-ish feather and down pillow, and put a pure goose down pillow on top. Both are available from Dunelm. The bottom one gives good support and the down one moulds to the shape of my head and neck.

Money spent on things that help you sleep well is never wasted!

Shelmiss Fri 28-Aug-20 06:03:11

I’ve recently bought a pillow from John Lewis after looking for the perfect pillow for me for a couple of years! I’m a side sleeper too and although this one says it’s for a back sleeper, it’s just perfect. Cost £75 but well worth it as I’m so pleased with it.

CocoPops Fri 28-Aug-20 06:31:22

I like the cheap ones from Ikea

Liz46 Fri 28-Aug-20 07:03:45

I sleep on my right and have one pillow for my head and a second one to support my left knee.

shysal Fri 28-Aug-20 07:58:25

I can highly recommend a Dormeo Octospring True Evolution. They are not cheap, starting on Ebay from around £44. They do a Plus (deep) and a shallow. I have the deep and only need the one.
I received one free with a mattress topper and love it. The memory foam formed into 'springs' gives great support and isn't hot. It feels like a brick when lifted but works wonders. No more stiff neck or sore ears.
I hope you find a pillow to suit.

midgey Fri 28-Aug-20 08:01:33

Try Dunelm, I have a shaped one that is good. It wasn’t too expensive, I’m sure it was under twenty pounds.

monk08 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:41:39

Reading this brought back memories of my father. He bought a new pillow nearly every week for about 3mths until he found one that suited him. I think his final choice was a Dunlopillo.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Aug-20 09:05:35

I have both a Dunlopillo mattress and pillow. Best in the world to sleep on. The mattress was expensive but the pillow not too bad. I've rarely had sleep problems.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Aug-20 09:06:57

--and a heavy merino blanket cover grin So cosy.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:11:49

It's a case of finding the right one (or two) for you. I like box sided sprung pillows.

However, since buying a new mattress, it seems that my favourite pillow is now too shallow. Maybe it sinks into the mattress a little more. I've added a second, thinner, ordinary pillow on top.

Cs783 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:22:37

Interesting thread; thank you everyone. I’ve been thinking about a shaped pillow £22 from MEDesign. I’ve no experience of it though their ‘back friend’ has been a good buy (used one for years at my home office desk).

Davida1968 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:35:58

For years I have used "shaped" one from Ikea. Still only £15.
www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rosenskaerm-ergonomic-pillow-side-back-sleeper-30444369/
This has been great for me and is still in good shape. It comes with a removable/washable cover. I use an ordinary pillow case with it

Moggycuddler Fri 28-Aug-20 09:39:29

I have neck issues and the best pillow I've had is a natural latex one with a sort of indentation where your head/neck fits. I can't remember the exact brand, sorry, I've had it for years. Latex pillows never lose their shape and are breathable and last forever.

PennyHalfpenny Fri 28-Aug-20 09:42:10

I have neck pain, and can only sleep on my side. I used a Tempur pillow for a while but found it too firm. Now have one of these, and am sleeping very well.

www.soakandsleep.com/snow-white-goose-down-pillow.html

Alexa Fri 28-Aug-20 09:43:02

I prefer really cheap ones that I can bend in the middle so the half next to my cheek is right under my cheek, while the half that is under my neck is right into the hollow of my neck.

Toffeesmum Fri 28-Aug-20 09:50:18

I saw a hint about tie-ing a ribbon or cord round the middle of the pillow and re-shaping it that way ...it works!

Alexa Fri 28-Aug-20 09:56:47

Clever idea, Toffeesmum.smile

N4nna Fri 28-Aug-20 09:57:57

I have spent loads over the years on pillows... Purchased 1 from Amazon 'Sweetnight' Absolutely brilliant - ordered 2 more for our campervan, and just ordering another 2 as they are so comfy. On offer £25.98 for 2 about to get rid of loads of unwanted pillows now :-)
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QRVWZST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]]

jaylucy Fri 28-Aug-20 10:12:49

I usually have a down pillow as I too have a neck issue.
I prefer the box sided ones that you can tuck your shoulder under.
I have tried the shaped ones and the ones with the indentations but I found that they, for some reason were smaller than a standard pillow so ended up moving the pillow around throughout the night.
Dunelm have a good range of pillows.

slightlyvixed Fri 28-Aug-20 10:28:36

I've had neck problems for years, and used a shaped one with a high ridge at the front. But it could still feel like a stone on sleepless nights. I asked for the Knightsbridge Pillow from the London Pillow Company, for a birthday present. It's great because you don't notice it's there, non sweaty, and comes with two raisers that you can use or not according to your shoulder height. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.

EilaRose Fri 28-Aug-20 10:40:00

A couple of months ago I bought John Cotton Memory Foam Pillow on Amazon. When it arrived I ordered a second one immediately, it's perfect as I was waking up with painful neck and shoulders (another side sleeper) and have been sleeping soundly with none of the original problems.

Previously I had a latex pillow but it was so hot in Summer and seemed to take a long time to absorb heat in Winter, it wasn't high enough either which is why I was getting pain in neck and shoulders.

I had been watching the listing for a couple of days as the price kept changing, but when it dropped, I swooped.

Sorry, can't recommend sellers in your area but I'm sure a google search will give you some info. They were also on eBay (Aus) although the price was higher than Amazon.

Hope this helps? ;-)

Anrol Fri 28-Aug-20 11:00:52

We are both side sleepers. We bought the firm Premier Inn pillows (and the fabulous Hypnos bed) in February (available via their website), and have found them to our liking. They were very firm for a week and now are just perfect. No neck aches, no sweating and plump up nicely.

Kartush Fri 28-Aug-20 11:04:00

Have you tried a boomerang pillow, i find them really nice to sleep sideways on