Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old? Me? Don't be silly.

(89 Posts)
Spangler Fri 04-Sep-20 09:28:03

kittylester started a thread: "Is 75 young or old?" It kick started some great responses. It would seem that the word old, is more of a generic term than an actual definition, so, if you are brave enough, lets see those geriatric wrinkles.

Here's what 74 looks like. It helps if the photo is grainy like mine, hides a multitude of sins.

vampirequeen Fri 04-Sep-20 10:31:50

I'm refusing to be 'old'. When DH and I reached 50 we decided we'd had enough of being grown up. It's boring. So we decided to grow young. Now we do whatever we want when we want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else or scare the horses. We climb trees, play in parks (not pushing the kids off but it is tempting sometimes grin), go for long walks, paddle in the sea and don't care what other people think about us. We're having fun and it's not hurting them so they can laugh with us or chunter about us...whichever they choose. What we have learned is that a lot of other grown ups wish they could overcome their need to conform and play like we do.

Jane10 Fri 04-Sep-20 11:08:36

I'm 65. I've always felt about 65 so I'm finally the right age for me. Mind you I've always embraced my inner pensioner!

Lucca Fri 04-Sep-20 11:11:10

I don’t act old or dress old but am very lined and wrinkled.
Not putting photo up as I like This forum being anonymous !

Oopsminty Fri 04-Sep-20 11:13:49

Very dapper, Spangler!

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 11:14:12

Wow Spangler you still look good, bet you are popular with the ladies! wink

Kalu Fri 04-Sep-20 11:19:01

DD1 is 45 today, so am I! I like GD2’s interpretation of my age, 60/10 and I’m not an old lady, I just have some lines on my face ?. I am just happy that my body is more or less functioning quite well.

kittylester Fri 04-Sep-20 11:19:18

In the good old days, GN, used to have profiles which could include a photo if you were brave.

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 11:20:10

My ideal older lady is Johanna Lumley. I like everything about her, she may have had some help with her lines, but tastefully done, not like the American celebrities that are completely rebuilt!

greengreengrass Fri 04-Sep-20 11:24:18

I'm 56 which is younger than you. But 'older' for some people.
All in the mind.

Esspee Fri 04-Sep-20 11:34:54

Spangler. This is an anonymous forum so no photos from me. I am a young 71 and look and behave like a 50 something. I have recently decided to retire as I can’t bear the thought of wearing a mask all day and so many people asked about my “early” retirement.
I know some of my peers look way older than their chronological age so my belief is that age is a state of mind.

Grandmabatty Fri 04-Sep-20 11:35:45

I'm 62 in two weeks. I am definitely not as active as I could be and lock down didn't help. But the external doesn't reflect the internal. I am young inside and I like being silly and trying new things, adding to skills etc. I won't put a photo up though as I also like being anonymous.

Jaxjacky Fri 04-Sep-20 11:56:32

No recent photos, this one from last year, I’m in my 60’s

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 12:30:18

Looking good Jax! Cheers! wine

henetha Fri 04-Sep-20 13:04:09

I'm very young for my age, - until I look in the mirror.
But I'm young inside, some might say juvenile!
I won't put a photo up because I don't know how to, but am not sure I would anyway.

Puzzled Tue 15-Sep-20 17:16:52

Before too long, I shall be 21.
For the fourth time!

We walk, help others, keep mentally and physically active.
Fortunately, our health although not perfect (Whose is?) allows us to do this.
If you think OLD, you soon will be!
Off on holiday soon!

Nanna58 Tue 15-Sep-20 17:27:54

62- however so is Sharon Stone and I don’t look like her ( sigh!!)

downtoearth Tue 15-Sep-20 17:42:52

Taken in june

kittylester Tue 15-Sep-20 18:06:15

Just realised ds1 is 49 tomorrow - that's soooooo much worse than realising I'm 71!

NanKate Tue 15-Sep-20 18:38:56

You’re a mere babe Kitty. I will be 74 later this month and still act like a teenager at times, especially when playing football with my grandsons.

Spangler I think you look very smart. I like a well dressed man like my DH.

DanniRae Tue 15-Sep-20 19:32:58

I am 72 but am told I look much younger. However, last week we started caring for our 15 month old grandson 2 days a week. Today was one of the days and I am exhausted!!
I might not look my age but right now I feel 90 shock

Bellanonna Tue 15-Sep-20 20:00:37

I’m 80 in a couple of weeks. I’m definitely not old!

Revolucion Tue 15-Sep-20 20:52:02

My dd tells me that once you are 50 you are officially an old lady. I’m 52 so I’ve been old for a while now and can’t wait for DH to become officially old too next year.

Sparkling Tue 15-Sep-20 20:58:26

I refuse to be old, there’s years on the clock and the face a bit lined now but inside I’m as I always was. You have to never stop being interested in life and people.

geekesse Tue 15-Sep-20 21:12:34

Saying someone is ‘old’ or ‘young’ is pointless. Time passes, we grow older. Generic terms like that are merely relative. When I was six, my thirty something Mum was ‘old’. Now my 54 year old brother is considerably younger than me. Of course I’m older than I was at six. I’m younger than I will be next year. So what?

The problem I think, is that we live in a culture that fetishises youth. That’s a flaw in our culture. I genuinely don’t care about trying to look ‘young’. I’ve lived every year of my life, and have built up a lifetime of experiences and memories. My grey hair and worn skin and dodgy joints are evidence that I’ve survived, and that’s sure better than the alternative.