Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bare feet or slippers ?

(41 Posts)
phoenix Sat 17-Oct-20 23:16:54

Hello all, and good wishes.

Wasn't sure if this should be under health, beauty etc!

I'm prone to really hard skin on my feet, deal with it with one of those electric hard skin removers and applications of Flexitol cream.

But my normal habit is to be barefoot indoors, and I'm wondering if feet in contact with hard floor might be exacerbating the problem?

Not a fan of slippers, but does anyone think that wearing them might help to reduce the recurrence of the hard skin?

Thanks in advance!

Lilypops Sat 17-Oct-20 23:26:49

Phoenix. Have you tried using the Flexitol at night and putting a pair of socks on in bed overnight? It really does soften hard skin. Or. Aldi do a copy of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream which is excellent for hard skin , again apply at night and wear socks,
Hope this helps , I personally wouldn’t go barefoot in the house , I would probably be bashing my toes on furniture and I don’t like cold feet , so it’s slippers for me ,

welbeck Sat 17-Oct-20 23:30:50

i think it#s generally safer to wear something on feet.

phoenix Sat 17-Oct-20 23:33:29

Lilypopsthat's exactly what I do with the Flexitol!

Allegretto Sat 17-Oct-20 23:37:19

I am also prone to hard skin on my feet. I recently tried Footners socks for hard skin and they were really good. They did not clear all of my hard skin, but I’m hoping to do the treatment again in a few weeks as I think a second application might just do the trick. The hour long treatment is painless and the skin peels off over the next few days. To answer your question, I rarely go barefoot for the same reasons as Lilypops.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Oct-20 23:42:07

I wear Adidas sliders/crocs or slippers. I also use a soap and glory foot I call it a foot grater ?, which I slough of dead skin after a shower, then pop on some palmers cocoa butter moisturiser and socks

Lavazza1st Sat 17-Oct-20 23:52:03

I get a lot of pain in my feet so I love my comfy slippers!

I've tried different slippers over the years but have never found any to top Sleepers DONNA Spotted Warm Fleecy Lining Indoor Slippers. I would recommend these to anyone with foot problems. They are really hard wearing and I wear mine all the time at home because it hurts my feet to not have cushioning from the hard floors.

I haven't tried flexitol but will look into that I usually soak my feet in magnesium salts, then remove the hard skin with a file and apply cream or coconut oil with socks. The footners sounds good too.

phoenix Sat 17-Oct-20 23:53:23

Allegretto I tried those too, it's basically an acid peel shock have it on good advice NOT to do it again!

Ngaio1 Sat 17-Oct-20 23:59:47

Lilypops. I use EA 24 hour cream and would not be without it. I had no idea that Aldi had a similar ting - do you know what they call it, please? EA is very expensive. Thank you.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Oct-20 00:11:40

phoenix

Allegretto I tried those too, it's basically an acid peel shock have it on good advice NOT to do it again!

Would you not recommend the Footners peel Phoenix? I've got hard skin like a horses hooves because I go bare foot so much I've ruined my feet over the years going barefoot.

Spangler Sun 18-Oct-20 00:54:17

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uubf-5fOfz8

agnurse Sun 18-Oct-20 02:07:41

I go barefoot, but if you want good slippers, I always recommend that you see what older people are wearing. Due to their higher fall risk, they need to have good footwear. Consequently you know that whatever they choose, it will be comfortable and good quality.

PSA: if you have diabetes or other conditions that result in poor circulation, foot care is vitally important. Don't soak your feet, don't go barefoot or wear mended socks, don't remove dead skin by yourself. Ensure your skin doesn't get too dry. Be VERY careful when cutting your toenails - file them, don't cut. Consider having a professional do your foot care. Diabetics and others who have circulation problems can develop wounds to their feet, and they often won't heal properly.

Lavazza1st Sun 18-Oct-20 02:30:44

@agnurse I have prediabetes hence foot pain and the old lady comfy slippers. Need to go and get blood sugars checked really , covid got in the way of me going to the Dr at all this year,

Lavazza1st Sun 18-Oct-20 02:33:03

These are the comfiest slippers! Not cheap, but really cushioned under your feet and supportive. www.shucentre.co.uk/sleepers-donna-spotted-warm-fleecy-lining-indoor-slipper-1580.html

mumofmadboys Sun 18-Oct-20 06:46:05

I think if you moisturised your feet and always wore socks or socks and slippers your dry skin would disappear very quickly.

Juliet27 Sun 18-Oct-20 06:59:27

I always go barefoot at home and I don’t have hard skin. My H always wears slippers and does have hard skin which he seems to have inherited from his mother so maybe it’s in the genes...you’ve either got it or you haven’t?

Ashcombe Sun 18-Oct-20 07:01:57

Socks on a hard floor could be slippery. My favourite indoor footwear is crocs! I buy the fleece lined ones - about £6 from Lidl - and they really help my arthritic joints!

Esspee Sun 18-Oct-20 07:15:55

I have recently used a footner like preparation, an “own name” copy, and was surprised by the eventual amazing result.

For those who have never heard of it they are referred to as “exfoliating foot socks”.

I had a long bath to soften the hard skin, dried my feet well, placed them in the gel filled plastic booties, put socks on over the booties to hold them tightly, put my feet up to watch TV and one and a half hours later washed off the gel.

It could not have been easier. However, one week later there was no change. It took another week then suddenly I noticed the skin on my feet had become extremely dry. I soaked them, and with the help of a pumice stone I was able to remove loads of hard skin very easily. I did the same the next day, soaking and using pumice stone, and now my feet look “beach ready” with very little effort.

I shall most certainly be using it again, probably a few weeks before switching to summer sandals.

There are similar booties sold which contain only moisturiser and cost a fraction of the price. When I had tried these in the past the result was excellent but after my next bath my feet were back to normal. Worth using for special occasions I thought.

Calendargirl Sun 18-Oct-20 07:22:32

My tootsies would be frozen if I didn’t wear slippers in the winter. Summer not so much obviously, but don’t like barefoot as can knock feet painfully if bare.

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Oct-20 07:23:09

The hard skin problem on my feet is much worse in the summer with bare feet in sandals . I’m assuming that the friction causes the buildup ? It is better in cooler weather when I wear socks and boots.
As a consequence I wear cotton socks and Go Walk Sketchers in doors as I don’t like slippers or bare feet .

I use a Microplane foot grater and Flexitol cream to keep the hard skin at bay .
I have spent a fortune over the years on different gadgets , creams and chiropodists and have finally found the best combo .

Katek Sun 18-Oct-20 07:48:13

Can’t offer any advice on the hard skin issue but has anyone tried yoga socks.? I seldom wear anything on my feet - even take shoes off under tables, in the car, at the theatre. I’ve often found my shoes have migrated to under other people’s seats! I am a confirmed bare footer but if I’m driven to it I wear my yoga socks. They’re just like trainer socks with a grippy sole-warmth without weight and no slipping.

MerylStreep Sun 18-Oct-20 08:00:23

Phoenix
Hard skin on your feet is natures way to protect the skin. ?

Lilypops Sun 18-Oct-20 08:18:24

Ngaiol. Hello, The cream from Aldi is called. Lacuna. Miracle cream. Skin Protection. it’s identical to Elizabeth Arden.
It’s the same colour, smell. ,even the packaging is similar,
Hope you can find it, it’s a brilliant product ,

Lilypops Sun 18-Oct-20 08:20:36

Lacura. Predictive spellchecker !!

PamelaJ1 Sun 18-Oct-20 08:25:03

As Meryl said the hard skin is a defence mechanism. If you are going to go barefoot outside a lot then you need a really good layer of hard skin.
Having said that I go without shoes a lot indoors and I don’t suffer. Smooth wooden floors and carpets don’t have the same effect as nature.
Wearing flip flops or sandals can cause the skin to toughen up as the continually slap your heels.