Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange : is this a lockdown thing?

(79 Posts)
BBbevan Wed 21-Oct-20 15:37:19

I am nearly 76 and have been happily married for 55 years
Over the last few weeks I seem to be writing a book in my head. I have sorted the plot, the people, their history etc. I did not start out to do this, but now I just love to sit quietly and add to the story. I know the beginning and the end and now much of the middle. A lovely romance. I doubt I will ever write it down. Why did it start and how?

Toadinthehole Wed 21-Oct-20 15:40:33

Why do you doubt you’ll ever write it? Go for it. I would think most authors started out like this. Sounds like you have a talent. A beginning, middle and end......sounds like a book to me! Good luck?

Grannybags Wed 21-Oct-20 15:47:20

Sounds brilliant to me - start writing!

sodapop Wed 21-Oct-20 15:59:55

Sounds like you have the bones of a good story there BBbevan start putting pen to paper, we are all waiting for your writing debut.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 16:01:32

I envy you, I e always wanted to write a book.

rowyn Wed 21-Oct-20 16:04:00

I'm jealous. I love writing - can do doggerel and and an opinion column in the local rag, but much as I would absolutely love to write a novel I don't have a story in me! Go for it!!

Kamiso Wed 21-Oct-20 16:04:56

Go for it! You’re more likely to regret the things you didn’t do than those that you did. Lockdown is a golden opportunity that hopefully will never come again.

Jane10 Wed 21-Oct-20 16:05:11

Just do it! Don't put it off or waste time talking about it.
Lucca- get writing too.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 16:17:18

It sounds to me like something called maladaptive daydreaming.
The name sounds quite negative but it isn't.
I didn't realise that it was a 'thing' until recently. I definitely did it when I was a child.
It may or may not be a reaction to stress - a lovely, creative distraction; you yourself wondered if it was covid related.
Google it, it's extremely interesting.

BBbevan Wed 21-Oct-20 16:33:32

I ah well do that. But where has it all come from. It just started in my head one morning.
Sounds right FannyC, and it is giving me much enjoyment

BBbevan Wed 21-Oct-20 16:37:12

Well I have just googled it. Seems a bit intense for what happens to me. I certainly do not spend 60% of my time daydreaming.

AGAA4 Wed 21-Oct-20 16:40:06

This is how novelists start. If you have a good idea just have a go. You never know where it will lead. Good luck.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 16:47:47

Ooh! 60 per cent sounds a bit much!
I just remember creating really in depth stories - especially the dialogue.
And I did the jiggling about thing.
In fact, when I was alone I would leap around the roomblush

Esspee Wed 21-Oct-20 16:54:22

If putting it on paper feels too much you could start dictating ideas as they come to you. In time you will have enough notes to write your book.
Good luck.

Jane10 Wed 21-Oct-20 18:58:13

If its not written down what have you got? Nothing.
It's a discipline. Get started. It's so much easier to write these days using modern technology. Just get it all down then get on with the editing.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 19:47:18

Yes, do write it, BBbevan
They say that everyone has a book in them although I haven't found mine yet.

Many Kindle authors are self-published.

PamelaJ1 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:14:35

I have a book that I write as I’m going to sleep.
This morning my DH was watching that programme where Fiona Bruce and her co presenter were looking at a painting that had a hair stuck in it. DNA was extracted from it. That answered a question that I had been struggling with.
Actually sitting and writing a book seems like such hard work.

Astral Wed 21-Oct-20 20:23:33

I do something very similar that I was taught to deal with nightmares.

I tell a story in my head to fall asleep too and add chapters, it doesn't always work, I've had nightmares and night terrors since I was little but sometimes it carries on into my dreams.

b1zzle Thu 22-Oct-20 09:50:35

Please, please, please get all those thoughts down on paper! Writing paper, toilet paper, brown paper - doesn't matter what it is. Take it from someone with four published novels - you can do this! You've done the hard part - the plot, now for the easy bit and enjoy! Health warning: writing is addictive. Once you get underway you forget to eat, sleep, shop, clean...

EmilyHarburn Thu 22-Oct-20 10:01:41

You should write the book You may enjoy reading 'The Right to Write' by Julia Cameron

crazygranny Thu 22-Oct-20 10:02:22

Start writing!
It's harder than you think to convert your ideas into words on the page. I completed the story of my childhood years (up to age 10) over two years ago and have been editing ever since. I have now also completed a children's story and have two more in progress.
Good luck!

Tanjamaltija Thu 22-Oct-20 10:03:18

Write it - please.

Juicylucy Thu 22-Oct-20 10:06:23

There is a saying that says “ Therr is a book in all of us”. I’d say start jotting it down.

sweetcakes Thu 22-Oct-20 10:06:42

Write it even if it's just for yourself you never know it could be the next pride and prejudice or Jane Eyre if you have time give it a go good luck.

BBbevan Thu 22-Oct-20 10:07:24

Well I have found a note book and am going to start on the chronology. Thank you all for the encouragement.