Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Acting on Impulse

(17 Posts)
Msida Tue 27-Oct-20 14:43:59

Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice

I work for the Council in a Customer dealing role and back office moaning that we are not doing warm hand overs and just putting callers through

Now I don't know any of my colleagues that would do that so it might happen once in a blue moon

I was so upset at back office, complaining about us when they themselves are so very lazy and never ever answer their extention and I mean never ever

It's so stressful at the moment and they add to our stress

So what I immediately did after receiving the email was went onto our message portal and complained right back about them saying all of the above

Was I right or wrong

Is Impulse a bad thing

Thank you in advance for any comments

Msida Tue 27-Oct-20 14:46:26

Ps also was worried about getting told off for messaging was I did

welbeck Tue 27-Oct-20 14:46:55

well you've done it now.
but in a work situation, esp at the moment, it is better for your own interests not to react emotionally or immediately.

welbeck Tue 27-Oct-20 14:48:43

maybe you could seek out or discuss with the proper channels, lines of supervision, to make your point in a more considered way.
you need to cover your back.
good luck.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 14:54:32

I understand whats happened here and we have all done it and these days its stress all round. However my advice is always ' sleep on it' and by that I dont mean necessarily a sleep but take time to think. Count to 10, ask a friend if you like but ultimately any complaints you have about other colleagues should be discussed with your line manager to get the best results all round. You still have to work with each other whatever the outcome so keep it calm, polite and professional.

Summerlove Tue 27-Oct-20 15:39:25

I know this isn’t the point, But how on earth are you meant to do a warm handover to someone who refuses to answer the phone?

phoenix Tue 27-Oct-20 17:32:29

Good point well made, Summerlove!

EllanVannin Tue 27-Oct-20 17:36:04

I'd have spoken out, impulse or not.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 17:42:32

Well.. advice is usually to write your email, get all the anger & frustration out. Then DO NOT PUSH SEND but have a cup of tea/coffee. Go back after 10 minutes re -read and then DELETE!

Msida Tue 27-Oct-20 18:39:55

PECS soo funny that was my intention BUT it got sent accidentally

SUMMERLOVE Yes exactly,, on the odd occasion that our managers moan to their managers that no one is picking up they will spend JUST that afternoon picking up then just go back to not picking up, it is honestly a pain.

All the advice is welcomed.. Bottom line keep my big mouth shut, I think that's good advice but I'm just one for justice and we have worked so very hard recently taking three times as many calls,, and really didn't deserve that nonsense

Thank you so much for taking the time to help soo appreciated thank you x

Casdon Tue 27-Oct-20 18:55:32

The first thing I thought when I read your message was have you worked in back office and are therefore in a position to walk in their shoes - or have you judged that they don’t work under the same pressures that you do? If you don’t know, then you were out of order

Jane10 Tue 27-Oct-20 19:24:26

What actually is a warm handover?

MawB2 Tue 27-Oct-20 19:26:05

I’m glad somebody asked, I have been wondering too!

Soupy Tue 27-Oct-20 19:30:16

I would assume a warm handover involves putting the caller on hold and speaking to the appropriate member of staff before putting the caller through.
A cold one would be just putting them through, so the staff member isn't expecting the call and isn't prepared.
Never knew it had an official name!

Summerlove Tue 27-Oct-20 20:05:12

Yes exactly Soupy.

GrandmaKT Tue 27-Oct-20 20:26:34

Oh, it does upset me when I hear about situations like this!
I've worked for a few large organisations and it is insidious how these rivalries develop between departments. Life is too short for petty arguments with people who, at the end of the day, should be part of the same team.
I'd agree with Casdon - have you worked in the back office? I've always found that there is always a lot more to any job than an outsider realises.
Do you have a suggestion box, or a friendly line manager you could approach? It would be a really good idea to mix a few of the staff from the different departments around, even if only for a week or two, so you can all appreciate each other more.

B9exchange Tue 27-Oct-20 20:35:43

prezi.com/_khptubialdq/what-is-a-warm-handover/

Seems to be a local term, I hadn't heard of it. But it is for occasions like that that I have set a 5 minute delay on all my emails. Has saved my bacon many a time, pressing 'send' and then regretting it!