Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gyneacological Problems

(7 Posts)
therustyfairy Sat 31-Oct-20 11:23:53

hello
A friend has a prolapse and enterocele now requiring surgery fairly urgently. With Covid and the pressures on the NHS they are now considering the option of private treatment. Can anyone on Gransnet recommended an excellent Urogynaecologist in the Sheffield and North Nottinghamshire region. Any advice would be appreciated but please message privately to avoid breaching rules or naming anyone publicly. Thank you

vampirequeen Sat 31-Oct-20 19:29:11

Your friend needs to talk to her GP. He/she will be able to guide her in the right direction.

Thistlelass Sat 31-Oct-20 20:15:04

I would think the NHS will designate a provider for this. I doubt it will be to your friend to select a privatised option but hey I could be wrong.

Oldbat1 Sat 31-Oct-20 20:22:35

You will probably find it would be the same consultant going private or nhs. They have to fulfil so much nhs work to enable them to hold their status. After waiting for 18months to have hysterectomy on nhs I was informed I would have to wait at least another 18months. I was in so much discomfort my mother in law paid for me to go private. Same surgeon but only two week wait.

harrigran Sun 01-Nov-20 09:28:19

When I wanted to see a consultant privately I went online to the private hospital in my area and could access their credentials too. I was able to pick the best man/woman for the job.

therustyfairy Tue 17-Nov-20 14:27:45

Thank you for all sharing your experience and advice, I really appreciate it. It is interesting that your responses are equally balanced between NHS and private. My friend has pursued her GP and is back on the merry-go-round of zoom calls with the gynaecologist, however in view of Oldbat1 comments about an eighteen month wait I think she should keep her options open re private care.

suziewoozie Tue 17-Nov-20 14:41:17

harrigran

When I wanted to see a consultant privately I went online to the private hospital in my area and could access their credentials too. I was able to pick the best man/woman for the job.

This exactly - I did it last year. Always checked which NHS Trusts they worked for as well. Lots of online information once you’ve got a name or two and you can find out even more about them and their exact speciality. I struck absolute gold with mine ( as I did using the same method for something else a few years ago)