Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Making up a Food Hamper.

(37 Posts)
MiniMoon Sat 14-Nov-20 12:13:34

I have been asked to make up a food hamper as a Christmas gift.
Specifically sauces, spices and store cupboard jars of things that my DD has never eaten.
She uses spices from around the world so this is proving difficult.
Can any of you give me any ideas please.

GrandmasueUK Sat 14-Nov-20 12:20:01

I use a site called Sous Chef for unusual herbs and spices. I’ve bought and used some things I’ve never heard of and didn’t even know I wanted!

NotAGran55 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:21:55

This is a big favourite of my spice loving son . There are various makes in Waitrose.

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/uni-eagle-sriracha-hot-chilli-sauce/621464-723868-723869

Blossoming Sat 14-Nov-20 12:22:02

Chilli oil, sundried tomatoes and peppers, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 12:39:47

www.piccantino.co.uk/spices/spices-1

Or you could cheat and buy one ready made up!

Gransey Sat 14-Nov-20 13:44:27

I have used The Spicery, an online store based in Bristol. Their spices are very fresh and they have a huge selection. They also do kits and books with several blends that can be used to make many different dishes. I have The curry legend kit myself.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 15:04:46

Sous Chef has some fabulous products.
I think they are carefully purchased as the owner is a chef.
The customer service there is second to none.
One of my favourite online shops.

Nannytopsy Sat 14-Nov-20 15:19:49

Sous chef fig and walnut jam for cheese is my favourite!

Daddima Sat 14-Nov-20 15:27:31

Gransey

I have used The Spicery, an online store based in Bristol. Their spices are very fresh and they have a huge selection. They also do kits and books with several blends that can be used to make many different dishes. I have The curry legend kit myself.

I love my curry legend! My brother sent me it, and I’ve already ordered refills of the blends.
I also like The Sauce Shop’s homemade ketchups, mind you, I see they have brought out a Brussels Sprout Ketchup and a Spiced Cranberry Ketchup for Christmas.

Daddima Sat 14-Nov-20 15:31:51

I’ve just remembered the Great British Charcuterie at Brighton Marina, where I always bought crackers when I visited. I’m delighted to see they do mail order!

Kate1949 Sat 14-Nov-20 15:40:59

My DH, who is a good cook, has asked for 'foodie' items that he's never tried. He asked for some saffron, a good balsamic vinegar, nice relish etc. I had no idea where to look so asked Google. It came up with Fortnun & Mason shock
Although I'm an Aldi & Tesco girl, I took a look. They have some 'different' stuff. I got the things he wanted at surprisingly reasonable prices. They charge a bit more for delivery but it wasn't too bad. I felt like Margo from The Good Life when my parcel was delivered.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 15:44:59

I felt like Margo from The Good Life when my parcel was delivered.
?

Were Barbara and Tom next door telling you that you could have grown them all yourself with a little effort?

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 15:46:10

This thread has given me some ideas for DS; I usually look for some unusual food items for him but we haven't been anywhere this year.

Kate1949 Sat 14-Nov-20 15:47:49

Callistemon grin

MiniMoon Sat 14-Nov-20 16:25:40

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I'm going to start with banana ketchup.
My DD uses spices and condiments that I have never heard of, so I'm struggling to think of anything she hasn't come across.

lilypollen Sat 14-Nov-20 17:00:39

I recently discovered Mara Seaweed seasoning - £3 in Tesco. It's a healthy substitute for salt. I use Shony, plain and Sea-spice with chilli and sesame. Information about the products is on maraseaweed website.

Scaryscouse1 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:26:47

I use Seasoned Pioneers in the Wirral. They do wonderful gift selections and recipes and ideas. They have a website and Facebook page.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 17:45:54

Kate1949 I didn't even manage to grow peppers successfully, although the oregano seeds itself everywhere!

Kate1949 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:53:49

We've never grown vegetables or anything Callistemon. We manage a few herbs occasionally.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 18:01:17

We had a glut of little tomatoes last year so I dried them and stored them in olive oil with garlic and bay leaves.
They're still at the back of the cupboard somewhere.

pregpaws3 Sun 15-Nov-20 10:46:59

I've got a foodie niece who lives on a tight budget,, have bought her a new cook book and am buying lots of the harder to find expensive ingredients. Fun for me and she'll love it .

cassandra264 Sun 15-Nov-20 10:57:16

For something a bit different, you could try the cafe mor online shop - beachfood.co.uk The outdoor cafe in West Wales has an international reputation for seafood, and you can buy their seaweed based condiments, ketchups etc. including laverbread.

Bankhurst Sun 15-Nov-20 10:58:17

Use Traidcraft to buy chutneys etc from around the world, and help a struggling community at the same time

Beanie654321 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:20:34

We hve a wonderful Indian shop near us that have the most aromatic spices. The owner is a fantastic and kind person who will source all you need and give advice to using the spices.

cc Sun 15-Nov-20 11:27:45

I make up a hamper for my son every Christmas, try the Ocado website.
If you search on the name of a slightly more unusual spice/sauce, say "rose harissa" you can see which aisle or shelf it is listed on and then take a general look at that shelf. I also buy some of the more expensive pastas, balsamic vinegar, oils, flours, nuts etc., a big bottle of good olive oil, good anchovies and sardines, crystal salt, interesting pepper and chipotle paste.
Waitrose have slightly less choice and tend to sell just their own version called "Cook's Ingredients" which I don't find quite so good.
Lidl do a lot of more luxury food items at Christmas: pink Himalayan salt in a grinder, little vacuum jars of pate or anchovies and so on, very attractively packed.