Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Black Friday shopping?

(36 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 26-Nov-20 05:33:59

Is there anything you've been having your eye on? Really, I'm just curious about your Black Friday shopping list if you have one.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Nov-20 05:52:33

No I don’t like Black Friday I m afraid I feel it’s a big old con and I hate the concept around it, when you see the greed of the western world fighting for something they don’t really need, and I m fed up with emails offering me Black Friday tat

Sorry jenny I m sure you ll get lots of positive posts but you asked and that’s how I feel

absent Thu 26-Nov-20 05:53:30

I don't really have my eye on anything and have something of a cash flow crisis at the moment. However, supermarkets here seem to be joining in the price reduction thing, so if there is something reduced that I usually buy, I might buy two of them.

grandMattie Thu 26-Nov-20 06:12:51

Saw in the paper that most “deals” are more expensive than the regular price...

CanadianGran Thu 26-Nov-20 06:23:36

No, I detest crowds in stores, so do not go when it is busy, and on line shopping is already done for the most part.

There were a few items I was watching the price on, and some stores have already started their sales, but the 'sale price' is the same as last week's reduced price. It seems to me that Black Friday which started off as an American thing has blossomed everywhere. We used to wait until Boxing Day sales if we were buying a bigger item like a TV, but I think it is all hype now and the bargains aren't worth scrambling through crowds.

NotAGran55 Thu 26-Nov-20 06:42:20

No , as there is nothing that we want or need . We don’t buy adults Christmas presents in the family so nothing needed there either .
I have already blagged a 10% discount on aftershave that I bought for the annual Christmas charity gift collection . We always buy for teenage boys/young men who are generally forgotten in these collections.

M0nica Thu 26-Nov-20 08:03:25

No

silverlining48 Thu 26-Nov-20 08:50:24

I was looking at ladies pjs last week, then the same site popped up with the Black Friday across it. Exactly the same prices. !

Marydoll Thu 26-Nov-20 08:54:29

My straightening irons were acting up, so I decided to look for some in the Black Friday sale.
As I'm no longer working, I felt I couldn't justify the cost of a GHD pair, so did some research to find the best cheaper models.
I spotted a L'Oreal one, judged to be in the top three for performance, reduced from £79 to £29 in Boots. To add to my joy, I got double points and free delivery.

I'm also a fan of Phase Eight clothing and bought a knitted sale dress, with an extra 25% off for £19.50. When I received it, the label stated £110.

So there are bargains to be had.

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Nov-20 08:54:49

No but I did get a robot mower half price some years ago and it is one of the best things I ever bought!

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Nov-20 09:00:11

No. I enjoyed the bargain hunt on Amazon for the first couple of years, for Christmas presents, but couldn’t be bothered now. We’re buying for children only this year anyway.

Though I ordered a set of five chocolate Christmas figures from Thornton’s yesterday for the grandsons. They’re usually £10 each and were £30 for five plus postage, so already a great buy. They were doing a Black Friday deal of 20% off and I had another 8% from Topcashback.

I treated myself to some chocolate marzipan and gingerbread fudge in celebration. blush

Marydoll Thu 26-Nov-20 09:19:45

If anyone is looking for an Amazon Echo dot, they are half price in Tesco at £19.

Missfoodlove Thu 26-Nov-20 09:40:01

No! It’s another tacky American export.

All my Christmas shopping has been done.

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 09:47:17

If it’s something you need, or really want, and it’s that much cheaper, I don’t see why not, especially if money is tight - as it is for plenty of people.

I’ve never done BF shopping myself, but if e.g. my washing machine or TV had just died on me, I probably would.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Nov-20 09:49:00

Hello, appreciate Black Friday isn't for everyone but the OP is asking for ideas. For those who've found a good buy, feel free to link to any particular bargains you've found so others can share. smile

BlueBelle Thu 26-Nov-20 10:04:22

The poster says she’s curious about others wants and desires she didn’t ask for any ideas or advice Laragransnet

When I see videos of people hitting and knocking each other to the ground to get ‘a bargain’ I don’t think it’s something to rejoice in The online ‘bargains’ are like ‘sales’ in general getting rid of low selling or old stock
Its consumerism at its worst

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 26-Nov-20 10:04:43

LaraGransnet thank you smile I'm not really asking for ideas, just being curious

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 26-Nov-20 10:05:54

BlueBelle couldn't agree more! It's disgusting how sales make people go that crazy.

ImStillGood Thu 26-Nov-20 10:07:56

No shopping list for BF and never had one. I wouldn't mind getting a pair of new leggins but it's not because of BF, it's because I really need them

Marydoll Thu 26-Nov-20 10:15:53

BlueBelle, I'm certainly not one who goes crazy on BF. I needed straighteners, it just happened to be BF, I took advantage and am absolutely delighted with my purchase, which I bought online, as I can't get out.

There are genuine bargains to be found. Often we price something, do a bit of research and check prices.
We do need a new television, DH has done his research, and continually checks looking for the best deal. We will probably buy after Christmas, when hopefully the rush is over.

Lolo81 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:36:12

Computer games specifically FIFA is always reduced from the £50 odd price to around £35 on BF so I pick that up as a Christmas gift for my son, have done this for years.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Nov-20 10:38:23

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with canny shopping, Marydoll! In fact there’s a lot right with it. smile

There’ve never been any scenes round here like the ones shown on the media. We like a queue. And the media like a dramatic scene.

Here’s the link to my little bargain from Thornton’s.

www.thorntons.co.uk/christmas-hampers/christmas-model-selection-GB54868.html#q=models&start=1

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Nov-20 10:39:36

Don’t forget to add the code for another £6 off.

Davida1968 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:40:42

Not me, but DH keeps looking for a new tablet. (And we're both wondering whether there could be good bargains coming along in January.)

Kate1949 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:44:24

No but I was tempted when an email came through from Dorothy Perkins with 5O% off everything. As we are probably going into tier 3 here, I won't be going anywhere so I won't need clothes!