Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

These are a few of my favourite things!

(71 Posts)
Flaxseed Wed 13-Jan-21 19:16:21

(Lighthearted)
I apologise if this has been discussed before!

Years ago, I remember my mum saying she couldn’t drink her tea/coffee out of just any old mug. It had to be one of the finer china ones.
As I get older, I realise I have started to become quite particular, and I too, have a favourite mug. Fine china and not too big. I have a cupboard full of mugs and use just one!

Recently, I have lost my favourite hair scrunchie. I have others but I hate that my favourite one is lost!
I have a favourite towel, spot on the sofa, type of socks, bowl for my breakfast, bra, and type of biro!

Anyone else?

Blossoming Wed 13-Jan-21 19:19:51

I have a favourite soup spoon, it’s slightly heavier and just feels nicer somehow. I’m with your mum on the china mugs.

supergirlsnan Wed 13-Jan-21 19:26:44

I have a favourite mug for my tea, It's VERY old but I enjoy my drinks so much more from it.

Mollygo Wed 13-Jan-21 19:29:55

Yes, favourite side of the sofa, favourite towel (I put my initials on it), bowl for breakfast and favourite gloves.

PollyDolly Wed 13-Jan-21 19:30:29

I don't particularly have a favourite mug for tea or coffee.......as long as it is white inside! I cannot drink out of coloured (inside) mugs or Pyrex ones!

LadyGracie Wed 13-Jan-21 19:36:45

I have one mug for morning tea, another for afternoon tea and another for tea before bed. Favourite towels, favourite lots of things to be honest.
I’m a fussy bu**er.

Aldom Wed 13-Jan-21 19:38:14

Tea from white china. Coffee from pottery. But I would never comment if offered a drink by a friend and it wasn't in the 'right' cup or mug.

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Jan-21 19:48:48

We have our own specific mugs, I’m also picky on cutlery.

GrandmaKT Wed 13-Jan-21 20:37:26

I hate drinking out of mugs or cups with a metallic rim.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:51:13

My lodger used to have a favourite spot on the sofa (and favourite mug). He was very put out every time I rearranged the furniture. Of course, I did that frequently - I hid the mug too!

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 20:53:46

Definitely a favourite seat on the sofa. I have sat and played so much online bridge during the lockdown there is a definite hollow where I sit!!

FarNorth Wed 13-Jan-21 20:58:27

I have various favourite things but now and again I use a non-favourite cup, bowl etc just to get myself out of the rut.
Sometimes I then decide I like those things quite a lot too.

Sara1954 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:26:03

Favourite parking space in the car park, I’m always cheered when I drive in and it’s waiting for me!

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 22:31:38

mumofmadboys

Definitely a favourite seat on the sofa. I have sat and played so much online bridge during the lockdown there is a definite hollow where I sit!!

You’re brave ! If I sat on the sofa to play bridge I’d probably nod off mid game ,!

Flaxseed Wed 13-Jan-21 22:46:57

Oh yes sara1954 ! I can add parking space to my list.
I get most upset when anyone parks in ‘my’ space at work! grin

Jalyn Thu 14-Jan-21 03:14:03

Oh yes, I have favourite seat, mugs, cutlery, drinking glass, towels. I could go on!

CanadianGran Thu 14-Jan-21 05:28:56

Whiskers on kittens.smile

Facecloths that are not too thick; I will choose one that is a bit worn over a newer one. Let my DH wear in the new ones.

Nansnet Thu 14-Jan-21 07:06:59

Sara1954, I'm with you on the parking space too! I get really miffed if anyone else is parked in my space! In the car park, with my hubby recently he asked which was my space so he could park in it!grin

My other favourite thing is a specific kitchen knife. We have many other sharper, better quality, more expensive knives, but I always prefer the one I use for pretty much everything! I just like the feel and weight of it!

NotAGran55 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:13:16

Another parking space fan! At work, supermarket or home I love swinging into it smile

KerryS Thu 14-Jan-21 07:39:09

Definitely a favourite pen, it's got to be a blue Bic! Can't stand the scratchy black, cheap, naff pens we get given at work! Definitely a favourite seat to watch TV! Not so much favourite things though, as much as favourite places to put them! Can't stand it when I can't find things because someone has left them in random (and idiotic!) places e..g. kitchen towel on the hook, not left somewhere random like a tabletop or in the next room!! Or shed key in a random coat pocket somewhere in the house, instead of on it's hook by the back door! Grrrr!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:01:23

I didn’t really think about it but I realise now that I don’t have favourite things!

Maybe favourite jewellery, or lipstick! But not really. I’m deficient ☹️

Bellasnana Thu 14-Jan-21 09:00:29

Aldom I’m so glad it’s not only me! I don’t know why it is but I’m the same, tea from a china cup and coffee from a pottery one.☕️?

nanna8 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:22:56

China cups for me,too. I never drink instant coffee, has to be proper brewed stuff or one of those pods at a pinch. I drink coffee from one of those thermal glasses

Sara1954 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:27:33

Don’t drink coffee, but must have English Breakfast loose leaf tea, nothing else will do, and out of the fifty or so mugs we have, I can only drink out of about four of them, the wrong cup at breakfast, could spoil my day.

felice Thu 14-Jan-21 11:55:59

I sit on one side of the sofa to read and the other to watch TV, easy to do either at either end but I just cannot get comfortable the 'wrong' way round.