Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

JSometimes I just need a Loving Cuddle

(33 Posts)
Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 20:19:07

Sometimes I just need a cuddle It's so hard to live without a loving cuddle It actually feels like pain so it must be bad for your health

Bridgeit Fri 05-Mar-21 20:43:30

Sending a virtual hug???hope you feel better soon ?

Grandma11 Fri 05-Mar-21 20:51:30

A professional Massage and A Aromatherapy session can be equally as good, and sometimes better, depending on who gives it!

Deedi Fri 05-Mar-21 20:57:07

Hi Msida I know what you mean. One of my adult sons gives the best hugs and I miss it so much.
I’m late 60’s and I had a low mood some weeks ago and bit of a wobble.
I longed for my dear dad’s comforting hug (he died many years ago)
I just think a lot of my ‘emptiness’ is because of this latest lockdown and having to shield. Today I did a quick shop at supermarket as I’ve been self isolating for many weeks. I was glad to be ‘out’ and see people milling about but it was strangely quite lonely. I can’t explain really how it felt.
Sorry my post has turned out to be all about me. I do hope you soon feel more upbeat we are having to go through a strange time but hopefully things will get easier for us all.
flowers I believe a bit of pampering also helps a little - nice smelling candle a catchup program and a cup or glass of something delicious smile
Best wishes

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:24:57

Deedi you don't have to explain about the loneliness I totally understand have felt exact same feeling and then knowing your going home to no one

Please don't apologise for talking about you it's so good to hear other people speak about things, when I read your words it touched my heart and made me feel much less alone knowing I wasn't the only person in the feeling that way because you do don't you, you feel no one else could also feel that feeling.

Treating yourself always helps good advice thank you so so much ?

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:33:48

Bridgeit good idea I never thought of that massage, when lockdown fully over smile

Juliet27 Fri 05-Mar-21 21:34:26

Even with a husband cuddles are lacking. I get warmth from a hug with the dog. Hope you both feel stronger soon Msida and Deedi

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:35:10

Sorry that was meant for Grandmill

Thank you Bridgeit appreciate that smile

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:37:29

Juliet27 I know what your saying, same in my marriage, now I wish I'd made more effort

Once their gone their not coming back then its just too late, please give that thought just 10 minutes of your life

Hetty58 Fri 05-Mar-21 21:40:52

Msida, a lapdog and a weighted blanket are just as good!

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:59:08

Hetty58 I'm not really an animal person to be honest.

I do have lots of layers at night to get that comfort feeling

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 21:59:57

It's so nice to be able to talk about it and get other people ideas and opinions, it's priceless

annodomini Fri 05-Mar-21 22:09:05

Mine is a 'huggy' family, unfortunately 150 miles away. My youngest GS, now a teenager, has a rib-breaking hug, the others are a little more gentle. I hope to see them all sometime this summer and then we shall have a hug-fest. That expectation is keeping me going; meanwhile, I snuggle into my duvet and hug a pillow.

Deedi Fri 05-Mar-21 22:35:47

Thank you Juliet27

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 23:56:30

Hetty58 I'm not really a dog person

I do use a few layers on blankets in the bed to feel that comfort

Kamiso Sat 06-Mar-21 00:17:01

My MIL bought herself a fluffy rabbit and told me she would stroke it sometimes as a kind of comfort thing.

Msida Sat 06-Mar-21 15:25:58

annodomini Summer will soon be here lots of people vaccinated now and by summer almost everyone will be also, then you will be sble to go visit your loving family and they will be to come and visit with you

A lovely thing to be looking forward to and be grateful for

Good tip about the pillow thank you smile

Msida Sat 06-Mar-21 15:27:16

Kamiso I would absolutely love to have a rabbit but family member convinced me they encourage mice!!

Juliet27 Sat 06-Mar-21 15:32:59

^ Once their gone their not coming back then its just too late, please give that thought just 10 minutes of your life^

With so many sad stories here Msida I must admit I have often given that some thought

EkwaNimitee Sat 06-Mar-21 15:34:21

I feel the same, Msida. Over a year since I’ve had one. Even when I’ve had my second jab, it’s going to be mid-summer before I can travel south to my family. Assuming everyone remains sensible so we get no more restrictions.

Msida Sat 06-Mar-21 15:44:15

Juliet27 honestly it is true, I would give anything to try again try harder but I haven't got that choice like I say his not coming back now

It's good that you do take time to really think about that, we are all guilty of being quick to see the worse and don't look hard enough for the good and that attitude just brings us sadness x

Msida Sat 06-Mar-21 15:50:06

It's hard isn't it EkwaNimitee.

Summer will be here soon and at least you have something nice to look forward to

I am from the South, you can pop in to see me and I can make you a nice cup of tea and give you a hug smile I make the best cup of tea even if I do say so myself, making a cup of tea is an art form for me smile

catladyuk Sat 06-Mar-21 16:07:06

i too miss cuddles. catman used to give me an occasional cuddle years ago, but he is neither demonstrative or a romantic. my daughter lives 150 miles away so no chance of getting one from her for many weeks, so i cuddle my cats and like to think that they reciprocate by thought!

seacliff Sat 06-Mar-21 16:14:44

Reading this I too miss hugs from my sons, and my Dad especially. I happen to be wearing my Dads cosy wool jumper I kept when he was gone. I tried cuddling myself and it is quite nice.

I have also heard about the Havening technique used by some counsellors. It may seem like mumbo jumbo but it could make you feel more comforted. Perhaps worth a look? www.ntu.ac.uk/about-us/news/news-articles/2020/06/give-yourself-a-virtual-hug-to-calm-stress-and-anxiety

simtib Sat 06-Mar-21 16:52:37

There is no real substitute for a hug and like a lot of people I do miss them.