Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

washing hair in shower. Or bath.

(41 Posts)
Fennel Wed 21-Apr-21 20:40:22

After breaking my ankle and confined to a wheelchair for a few weeks I could no longer reach the basin to wash my hair.
So I tried washing it in the shower. As I expected I got soapy water in my eye and it's still weeping.
how do other people manage? do you just wash it without shampoo?

Blossoming Wed 21-Apr-21 20:53:08

I just close my eyes until it’s rinsed, then wipe my face with a damp face cloth. This will be a problem if you need to see what you’re doing. My vision is not good, so I’m used to finding everything by feel. Maybe keep a slightly damp face cloth within easy reach so you can wipe your eyes as necessary?

kittylester Wed 21-Apr-21 20:54:00

I was my hair in the shower every morning. I stand with my back to the shower and tip my head back. Or have I misunderstood your point?

MerylStreep Wed 21-Apr-21 21:02:39

I thought everyone washed their hair in the shower or bath.
If you have a problem with soap in your eyes tilt your head backwards or forwards.

tanith Wed 21-Apr-21 21:04:30

Same as kittylester it works fine.

Shelflife Wed 21-Apr-21 21:07:57

Always wash hair in the shower, I agree with kittylester, stand with us your back to the shower , tilt head back - easy peasy!!!! Would never wash my hair in the sink.

annodomini Wed 21-Apr-21 21:10:19

I can't remember a time when I didn't wash my hair in the shower. I have rarely, if ever, got shampoo in my eyes. On days when I don't wash my hair, I wear a rather fetching shower hat.

Blossoming Wed 21-Apr-21 21:10:25

I think fennel’s problem is she can’t stand due to the broken ankle ...

nexus63 Wed 21-Apr-21 21:14:18

i wash mine in the shower, i take the shower off the hook and use it, i need to be careful as i use a coal tar shampoo and it stings my eyes and can leave them red all day.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Apr-21 21:23:27

I have broken my foot twice and ankle once, I sat in the shower tray with broken appendage outside of door then washed hair/ body as usual.

Teacheranne Wed 21-Apr-21 21:26:03

I cannot stand in a shower so use a shower stool with my back facing the shower head and wash my hair without getting soap in my eyes. I probably shut them for a few seconds while the soapy water runs down my face but it’s not a problem.

You might find that easier with a broken ankle.

Jaxjacky Wed 21-Apr-21 21:49:19

Ditto in shower, head tip back under shower, close eyes when rinsing.

Callistemon Wed 21-Apr-21 22:05:55

Fennel I presume you're using a shower stool as I did when I broke my ankle.

Make sure the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel are lined up in order and within reach and, if you can, bring the shower head down to the lowest point.

I found it easier to tip my head forwards when rinsing the shampoo off.
Eyes tight shut of course.

If you do get any shampoo in your eye, rinse, rinse, rinse.

Hope you recover well.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:07:48

After I broke my ankle I bought a stool that sits in the shower and is ideal for hairwashing. I throw a small towel over the shower so I can get rid of soap suds but on the whole as my head is forward it is not a problem.

Callistemon Wed 21-Apr-21 22:09:16

I found it easier to tip my head forwards
Whichever is best for you, of course, backwards or forwards

When standing it's easier backwards

Callistemon Wed 21-Apr-21 22:10:38

Maybe keep a slightly damp face cloth within easy reach so you can wipe your eyes as necessary?

Good idea, I used to get the DC to hold a flannel over their eyes when I was rinsing their hair in the bath.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:11:24

It is trial and error but I feel you need something to sit on. I use the shower head hand held.

Returnofthemc Wed 21-Apr-21 22:23:36

It's really difficult to get into a new routine
I've broken numerous bones over the years, I have osteoporosis
Take it slowly...
I have a hair towel and a bath towel ready over the shower
I wash my hair facing backwards
Hope this helps a little bit
Good luck Fennel

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:39:48

I stand with my back to the shower head, tilt my head back, but I have a folded up flannel over my forehead/ eyebrow area, that stops the soapy water from running into my eyes, with years of practise it stays in place leaving me with both hands to wash hair.

welbeck Wed 21-Apr-21 23:24:57

OP, why not use, no more tears or similar baby shampoo.
it doesn't sting.
don't do anything risky, with manoeuvres.
i am having some problems lately. i used to just put my head under the single bath tap, while i was having a bath, to wash hair. don't have a shower. but now i can hardly turn the cold tap, it is v stiff, and if i can open it, i struggle to close it.
can't get anyone in. don't ask.
wish i'd had them changed a few years ago, when i had the basin taps changed to neat levers.
the bath ones haven't got much grip. stupid design.

BigBertha1 Thu 22-Apr-21 06:59:50

I do the same as kittylester

Calendargirl Thu 22-Apr-21 07:01:03

Just to be different!

I still wash my hair at the basin (to me, the sink is in the kitchen).

I realise I am in the minority.

Santana Thu 22-Apr-21 07:28:02

I get really sore eyes which are aggravated by any kind of shampoo, even the no tears variety. Shutting them doesn't work entirely as the shampoo finds its way in somehow. My eyes swell and get red raw.
So I use swimming goggles, much to everyone's amusement, but it does work!

Puzzler61 Thu 22-Apr-21 07:55:58

Sorry you have broken your ankle Fennel.
I’ve read your OP and I use the shower, but not in the bracket.
It lifts down and I lean over a bath, hold the shower hose in my left hand and do shampooing with my right.
I do it as quickly as possible as it does make my back ache but I find it better than standing in the shower, I have never liked to wash my hair that way. Just one of the many odd things about me different to most grans on here.

Grannynannywanny Thu 22-Apr-21 08:00:14

Fennel I wonder if one of these bath attachments might help you. It attaches to both bath taps and the hose leading to the shower head in this particular one is extra long at almost 6 feet. So it should reach your head comfortably if you were sitting on a stool leaning over the side of the bath.

I had one of them when I used to put my small grandchildren in the bath together. I found it good for washing my granddaughter’s hair when it was a bit longer and thicker than her little brother’s.

www.amazon.co.uk/Croydex-AA107022-Shower-Bathroom-Connector/dp/B08CK33GX7/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=bath+taps+shampoo+hose+longer+length&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1619073676&sr=8-17