Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hugging

(88 Posts)
honeyrose Sun 09-May-21 22:33:44

Now that we’ll soon be able to hug again, I feel that I can dispense with this particular activity altogether! Does that make me sound a cold person? I’m really not cold at all, but I’m not keen on hugging friends, which seemed to have become the norm before lockdowns. How do I avoid hugging friends without potentially upsetting them? We have been told to keep it short anyway and to save hugging for our closest friends/family, but I don’t want to get back to hugging every time I meet a friend. I hug my 2 granddaughters a lot and am comfortable with this - they’re only 3!

RedLeggedPartridge Sun 09-May-21 22:44:47

I’m like you. I’m quite an introvert though.
I am very happy hugging children but I find hugging adults uncomfortable. I always tensed up pre-COVID if anyone initiated that air-kissing-on-both-cheeks-thing.

rubysong Sun 09-May-21 23:39:33

I agree. I hug my immediate family happily but feel uncomfortable with friends etc. Maybe we could have a special badge to keep 'random huggers' at bay.

BigBertha1 Mon 10-May-21 06:08:56

Apart from close family I'm not a big hugger. Hugging didn't feature in my upbringing and I'm not sure if people want to be hugged by me or not so I wait and take the cue from them. As for air kissing I hope that's gone.

Esspee Mon 10-May-21 06:51:39

I have been telling friends how much happier I am now that hugging is banned and hope that once it is allowed they will remember that I prefer not to.
I am an affectionate person but hugging and kisses with people who are not close just feels so artificial.

MissChateline Mon 10-May-21 07:11:37

To be honest I am more concerned that hugging was an occupation that this government believed that it could allow or not allow. I do wonder how many people have received a criminal record for hugging. As far as I am concerned no one tells me whether I am or am not allowed to hug my children or grandchildren. I would suggest that it would have been far more productive to recommend not hugging than an outright ban.

JaneJudge Mon 10-May-21 07:14:54

A complete stranger hugged me a few weeks ago and I came home and changed my clothes grin

MissChateline Mon 10-May-21 07:19:26

JaneJudge

A complete stranger hugged me a few weeks ago and I came home and changed my clothes grin

Why ???

JaneJudge Mon 10-May-21 07:23:26

why did she hug me? or why did I change my clothes?
I suspect she hugged me because she was upset and I was kind to her. She smelt like she'd just had a shower though wink

I am a bit obsessive about laundry and changing my clothes. I always used to change them if I'd been to the hospital or done gardening or cleaning anyway, pre covid. I have realised during covid this isn't necessarily a normal thing to do. My Mum changes her clothes a lot too

lemongrove Mon 10-May-21 07:25:12

rubysong

I agree. I hug my immediate family happily but feel uncomfortable with friends etc. Maybe we could have a special badge to keep 'random huggers' at bay.

?
I wonder what the badge might have written on it?
How about... Hugs? No thank you!

MissChateline Mon 10-May-21 07:26:45

I guess that I change my clothes on a regular basis too. But it wouldn’t cross my mind to change my clothes because I had been hugged. I thought that the idea that the virus lived or thrived on clothing or other inanimate objects was debunked many months ago.

Hetty58 Mon 10-May-21 07:27:59

My friends and family know that I'm not keen on hugging anyway - so they won't start now.

I really can't see any problem in just saying 'I won't hug you, if you don't mind, I'm just not comfortable with it.'

seacliff Mon 10-May-21 07:34:01

My badge might say "I only hug trees".

If my Dad were still here though, I'd love one of his big comforting bears hugs.

JaneJudge Mon 10-May-21 07:42:36

MissChateline, I can't keep up with the information and guidelines so I decided to just be as careful as I could be and minimise contact with others. This weekend though I went to the garden centre AND the antique shop shock and I didn't change my clothes afterwards grin

honeyrose Mon 10-May-21 07:43:20

Sorry everyone - I’ve just noticed there’s another thread running on Hugging! Thanks for your thoughts - I’m glad I’m not alone in finding the previous thing of hugging friends unnecessary and slightly awkward. I’m a very affectionate person, but I want to dispense with the hugs (apart from my toddler grandchildren!). A warm smile and “hello” is all that’s needed.

Oldwoman70 Mon 10-May-21 08:29:58

I don't mind the hugs (from friends) what I dislike is the air kissing. I have a friend who doesn't just air kiss each cheek once but goes back and forth 5 or 6 times! I would appreciate any advice on how to stop that without causing offence!

Polarbear2 Mon 10-May-21 08:57:19

Well I like a good hug! ?. Giving and receiving. Tbf I didn’t know it was banned! I thought it was just a guideline ?. Oops.

rafichagran Mon 10-May-21 09:08:28

Not a hugger here, just dont feel comfortable.

MerylStreep Mon 10-May-21 09:18:30

Polarbear
It was never banned it was guidelines.

Sarnia Mon 10-May-21 10:21:37

We are all very different. Some of us hate hugging, others like me love hugging family and friends and some are very touchy-feely with anyone. I can't wait to give and receive a hug from my family and friends, most of whom I haven't seen in over a year.

Polarbear2 Mon 10-May-21 17:22:26

MerylStreep

Polarbear
It was never banned it was guidelines.

They were saying on the news it was banned? Illegal even. Usual making things up to give themselves a story. ?

MissChateline Mon 10-May-21 21:08:37

If it wasn’t banned and illegal then why is BJ making such a fuss and taking all of the credit about hugging now being allowed? How many of us actually stopped hugging our friends and family?

MayBee70 Mon 10-May-21 21:40:15

I stopped hugging family and friends. In fact I haven’t been close enough to anyone for over a year apart from DH and the dog to hug them.

CanadianGran Mon 10-May-21 21:52:34

I have found that hugging has replaced the hand shake, and I have never been comfortable with hugging people I have just met, or acquaintances. Friends and family, no problem.

Lollin Mon 10-May-21 22:27:41

MissChateline

I guess that I change my clothes on a regular basis too. But it wouldn’t cross my mind to change my clothes because I had been hugged. I thought that the idea that the virus lived or thrived on clothing or other inanimate objects was debunked many months ago.

Why do we clean if germs do not stay on things for a time . If sick bugs or flu I thought one of the main things to do was clean door handles, banisters etc.