Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange beliefs about the covid jab

(125 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Tue 15-Jun-21 15:02:00

A member of my family has developed strange beliefs about the covid jab. In particular they believe that anyone who has had it is a danger to them and have cut off any vaccinated family members.
Unfortunately I think there is a lot of fake information being circulated online. I would like to ask if anyone else has members of their family who avoid vaccinated people and if so how have they dealt with this?

rosie1959 Tue 15-Jun-21 15:08:53

Never heard that one before where do people get these ideas from. I think I would question their mental health and ask them to visit a Dr to discuss their concerns

Blossoming Tue 15-Jun-21 15:39:29

Not heard this one, What do they think will happen?

M0nica Tue 15-Jun-21 16:11:03

Ask for the evidence.

AGAA4 Tue 15-Jun-21 16:25:05

It must be distressing if they really believe this as so many of us have been vaccinated.

Kamiso Tue 15-Jun-21 16:30:54

Our window cleaners previous elderly customer told her that the vaccine contained something that would kill us all by scrambling our brains. Not sure if this is all supposed to happen simultaneously or timed from the time of the. vaccination.

Almost funny if it wasn’t frightening the life out of some people

Kamiso Tue 15-Jun-21 16:33:25

Have come across a number of people posting nonsensical ideas about the covid vaccine. They seem to fly around the social media sources spreading wild ideas.

Kate1949 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:16:06

My friend's daughter advised her not to have the vaccine as 'it changes your DNA' and that 'it had been tested on soldiers, ten of whom had died'. Rather worryingly, her daughter is a nurse. My friend ignored the advice.

grannyrebel7 Tue 15-Jun-21 19:58:08

I visited a friend today who told me that I would probably die in a few years time from the Pfizer jab!

maddyone Tue 15-Jun-21 21:28:47

I would be worried about his mental health if I were you. Could you get him to talk over his fears with his GP?

Shelflife Tue 15-Jun-21 22:23:34

So many ridiculous ideas !

CafeAuLait Tue 15-Jun-21 23:45:26

It's not such a strange concern. Scientists are still unsure whether vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others. They could be asymptomatic yet able to pass on. The risk appears low from what is known, but it's not a non-existent concern. You can look up studies that are taking place.

Here's some discussion: www.healthline.com/health-news/if-youre-vaccinated-can-you-transmit-covid-19-what-we-know#Vaccines-may-reduce-virus-infectiousness

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Jun-21 23:51:56

I have an old friend who believes that vaccinated people "shed" and cause menstrual problems in women. Her daughter won't mix with my daughter now. She doesn't want to be contaminated by my daughter "shedding" on her.

You are not alone Onward.
Unfortunately.

M0nica Wed 16-Jun-21 08:46:14

Being able to transmit the virus is very different from changing DNA, 'scrambling our brains', causing menstrual problems and all the other daft things mentioned on this thread.

One thing I have noticed is that if you question these people about the evidence for all these things, especially on GN, they are suddenly struck dumb and sometimes disappear. Is this a side effect of the vaccine? grin

CafeAuLait Wed 16-Jun-21 08:48:58

M0nica

Being able to transmit the virus is very different from changing DNA, 'scrambling our brains', causing menstrual problems and all the other daft things mentioned on this thread.

One thing I have noticed is that if you question these people about the evidence for all these things, especially on GN, they are suddenly struck dumb and sometimes disappear. Is this a side effect of the vaccine? grin

Yes, those are something else again. Someone just posted a rather rude reply in another thread when I mentioned I was concerned about vaccinated people asymptomatically passing it on after coming to visit from a high risk environment (me not being eligible for the vaccine at the time). I didn't dignify it with a reply but thought I'd mention it as apparently some people think it is a crazy concern.

OnwardandUpward Wed 16-Jun-21 22:07:50

rosie1959

Never heard that one before where do people get these ideas from. I think I would question their mental health and ask them to visit a Dr to discuss their concerns

Quite!
Apparently what happens is that all the vaccinated people turn into zombies and are going to kill all the un vaccinated people in the streets.
I seriously despair. I would question mental health if the person who said all this was still talking to me- but, apparently now I'm vaccinated I have "crossed a line" and become evil, so cannot be conversed with (((SIGH)))

It's just really sad.

OnwardandUpward Wed 16-Jun-21 22:11:47

NotSpaghetti

I have an old friend who believes that vaccinated people "shed" and cause menstrual problems in women. Her daughter won't mix with my daughter now. She doesn't want to be contaminated by my daughter "shedding" on her.

You are not alone Onward.
Unfortunately.

Oh NO ! I'm so sorry. I thought I was alone. I wrote to Loose Women and asked them to discuss it, but they barely touched on it. I know it's a touchy subject, but if people are going through this with their family, friends and acquaintances then it NEEDs talking about.

It's a divisive subject, but there is a lot of misinformation out there being spread on secret internet groups and that, I believe is to blame for the paranoia.

OnwardandUpward Wed 16-Jun-21 22:18:33

Also someone I (used to) regularly talk to is anti vaccine and has been acting strangely since I said I was vaccinated. shock

Sadly, the anti vaxxers see us as part of "the Problem"
I know loads of people who had the jab in March/April and they are all absolutely fine, but the anti vaxxers say its because "the protien hasn't spiked yet". I don't even know what that means but I am feeling absolutely fine after having both jabs and really fed up with people with no medical knowledge trying to tell me what to do or acting like I'm a mass murderer.

greenlady102 Wed 16-Jun-21 22:24:03

CafeAuLait

M0nica

Yes, those are something else again. Someone just posted a rather rude reply in another thread when I mentioned I was concerned about vaccinated people asymptomatically passing it on after coming to visit from a high risk environment (me not being eligible for the vaccine at the time). I didn't dignify it with a reply but thought I'd mention it as apparently some people think it is a crazy concern.

Vaccinated people can of course get virus on their mucus membranes or pick it up on their skin...which is why handwashing is so important. The point about the vaccine though is that the virus won't survive. It will either die because virus doesn't survive long outside the human body, or it will die because it is absorbed into the host's body and the immune system deals with it. The "asymptomatic" thing is a bit of a red herring...if you are carrying virus around ON your body, you won't have symptoms because you won't be infected. If your vaccinated immune system is dealing successfully with the virus, then equally you won't have symptoms because you aren't getting infected.
CAVEAT: the vaccination is not 100% effective. There will be people who still get infected after being vaccinated and the vaccination(s) have taken effect but the numbers are small.

Grandma70s Wed 16-Jun-21 22:27:16

You have to wonder whether our education system actually works, if people are being so easily hoodwinked. It’s like the Middle Ages.

greenlady102 Wed 16-Jun-21 22:51:40

I know this is going to sound all "in my day everything was perfect" but I do wonder if schools now teach children to pass exams but not to THINK.....then again its not just the youngsters who spout this guff

greenlady102 Wed 16-Jun-21 22:53:48

OnwardandUpward

Also someone I (used to) regularly talk to is anti vaccine and has been acting strangely since I said I was vaccinated. shock

Sadly, the anti vaxxers see us as part of "the Problem"
I know loads of people who had the jab in March/April and they are all absolutely fine, but the anti vaxxers say its because "the protien hasn't spiked yet". I don't even know what that means but I am feeling absolutely fine after having both jabs and really fed up with people with no medical knowledge trying to tell me what to do or acting like I'm a mass murderer.

They don't know either...I suspect they have got the protein spike (part of the virus) mixed up with infection spikes as shown on the publicised graphs....but never mind, it sounds good!

greenlady102 Wed 16-Jun-21 23:04:01

CafeAuLait

It's not such a strange concern. Scientists are still unsure whether vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others. They could be asymptomatic yet able to pass on. The risk appears low from what is known, but it's not a non-existent concern. You can look up studies that are taking place.

Here's some discussion: www.healthline.com/health-news/if-youre-vaccinated-can-you-transmit-covid-19-what-we-know#Vaccines-may-reduce-virus-infectiousness

yeah that healthline thing....I think they are conflating two ideas there. They are saying that the virus is less infectious in vaccinated people, then they talk about "viral load" which is about AMOUNT of virus, not about the infectiousness of individual particles of virus

For instance...if a virus is very infections, lets say that it only takes 5 virus particles to infect someone....a less infectious virus may take eg 200 particles.

On the other hand viral load is about how many virus particles are shed by vaccinated people and apprently there are less, which makes sense because the vaccinated person't immune system will be killing the virus and preventing it from multiplying...it won't change how many virus particles it takes to infect someone else.

The other HUGE thing about vaccination is that if the body can kill the virus it minimises mutation and new variants because dead virus cannot mutate.

OnwardandUpward Wed 16-Jun-21 23:23:00

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous! These covidiots know enough jargon to sound "legit" but having no medical knowledge they have had to go underground and use sites like Telegram to spread their poison,
I doubt they care that they are dividing families and friends! Unfortunately they are targetting our young and vulnerable. Every family has one!

No one should be threatened not to have the covid jab or they will be exiled. That's not love, it's control and it's abusive. No one has the right to tell you what to do with your body or threaten you for making medical decisions but it doesn't seem to stop them. Ironically they are the fearful ones who are too scared to be around us because of their paranoia.

The vaccinated are the brave ones who stuck their arm out, despite all the scary stories. And we are still going, some of us even healthier than before. Those who lost family or friends are the brave ones who refused to be controlled. It's sad and it needs to be exposed to stop these delusions hurting more people.

OnwardandUpward Wed 16-Jun-21 23:30:52

M0nica

Yes these things are TOTALLY daft! By exposing them, people can know what is talked about in these secret groups that target our young people.

They have no science but enough bunkum to make it sound believable. We know a few people who are avoiding us because they're mixed up in it and they also were Trump worshippers (!) grin

I do agree with @Greenlady102 that vaccinated people can transmit the virus, just like asymptomatic people can - BUT the reason I don't think that's the problem is because some of these people don't believe covid exists at all! hmm They think it's faked so they wouldnt be thinking it was covid shedding.... I don't think it's been thought through well and seems like the ramblings of a mad man. All this misinformation needs to get exposed and stop.