Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The dog next door

(31 Posts)
sazz1 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:32:18

We have lovely neighbours next door who have 2 French bulldogs.
We also have 2 dogs. The lady told us one has just had pups so she took the bitch and pups to her mum's to be looked after as they both work full time and her mum is home all day. Sounds good dog care.
Now the other dog is desperately lonely and barks all day. It's from 8.30 when they leave for work until 5.30 when they get home. It only has a break of 5mins maximum then the constant barking starts again. They have a dog flap and it often puts it's head through amplifying the noise.
This weekend we are away so that will be a break from the constant noise. If I talk to it through the fence it will stop for a few seconds then start again.
I don't know what to do as I get on well with them, but the noise is driving me mad. All dogs bark but not like this. Any suggestions? I've tried putting a radio on in the garden but it didn't help.

Calendargirl Fri 18-Jun-21 11:37:37

Think you’ll just have to tell your neighbour about the constant barking. I assume it wasn’t an issue before? The lonely dog probably ought to go visiting as well.

Mattsmum2 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:41:27

If they are responsible dog owners, as mentioned with the pups, they need to be aware if their dog is distressed. Have a word with them. Even if the other dog was there, that’s a long time to leave dogs on their own. Best of luck x

cornishpatsy Fri 18-Jun-21 11:45:38

Understandably the dog is distressed, could you help out by having it in with you until mum and pups come home.

Kate1949 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:01:21

Same here. We have to close all our windows even in hot weather and sitting out in the garden is no pleasure with the constant yap of a dog two doors down. I don't know how they stand it but they don't seem to notice.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:13:41

You’ve just got to tell them. They sound responsible dog owners, and would probably want to know. They won’t know if nobody says anything.
I’m no dog expert, but he sounds sad/ upset. It takes energy to bark like that all day I would think.

greenlady102 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:18:55

I'd have been mortified if my dog was doing this and I didn't know (no longer an issue, old wonky dog not left alone) Please tell them.

Tizliz Fri 18-Jun-21 12:34:32

I would want to know. I am building up the time I can leave my rescue dog and don’t want him distressed. Tell your neighbours , if they don’t care then they will ignore your concerns but it is more likely they will be grateful for the info.

May7 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:17:29

You really must tell your neighbour. They are probably unaware. This dog has separation anxiety and it will not stop barking of it's own accord. If they are responsible dog owners they would want to remedy this situation. I know I would. There is no need to fall out with them but they need to know there is a problem. I have two dogs and would never leave one on their own. I also wouldnt leave 2 dogs from 8:30 -5:30 dog flap or not shock

toscalily Fri 18-Jun-21 13:17:47

Poor thing is feeling lonely & lost without its companion, really like a bereavement as it does not know why the other dog suddenly is not there. I think you should (nicely) mention what is happening to your neighbours, surely they would want to know as it is obviously now just reacting to the new situation.

JaneJudge Fri 18-Jun-21 13:21:39

As everyone says, they sound responsible so just talk to them.

FlexibleFriend Fri 18-Jun-21 13:30:20

As long as you tell them about it politely I can't imagine they'd be annoyed. You're just giving them information. I'd certainly want to know if it were my dogs. He's probably got separation anxiety which is hardly surprising as he's used to the other dog always being there. Poor dog needs company.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Jun-21 13:31:29

You must tell them …that poor dog everything has left him he will be so sad, to him they are all dead and gone he is in grief scared lonely They really may be good dog owners but they haven’t thought this through
Tell them you aren’t making a complaint but are really worried about xxx as he is barking all day and seems very stressed and frightened surely they won’t leave him any longer once they know

sodapop Fri 18-Jun-21 14:36:43

That's seems the right approach BlueBelle maybe your neighbours don't realise how distressed the remaining dog is sazzl

PinkCakes Fri 18-Jun-21 16:33:46

Do the neighbours know about the dog? I can never understand anyone who leaves a dog all day long. There are dog walkers, dog daycare places, so no need to ever leave a dog alone all day. Dogs are pack animals, so they need the company of other dogs (or humans). The owners don't sound very knowledgeable - or perhaps they don't care. Either way, you need to speak to them.

AGAA4 Fri 18-Jun-21 16:50:13

It really isn't fair to leave any dog on it's own all day. Nine hours is a long time to be alone. I'm surprised they think this is ok.
For the dog's sake they need to be told he/she is distressed.

Puzzled Fri 18-Jun-21 16:58:53

Talk to your neighbours. The poor animal is lonely and feeling abandoned. It needs company.
You could offer to take their remaining dog for a walk during the day.
If it gets on well with your dogs, take them all together.
If not, even a short walk, separately, will help the dog feel less lonely. It will reduce the dog's loneliness, and even hearing your voice, over the fence, may well help it feel less deserted.

nadateturbe Fri 18-Jun-21 17:08:17

We have had this problem and had to tell our neighbour. There's no way round it. Your neighbour may not even be aware the dog is lonely and be grateful.
There are still times that we have to say again. It's stressful and unfair but you just have to deal with it. Better than listening to the dog barking all day, which is bad for your health.

Floradora9 Fri 18-Jun-21 21:03:44

As a last resort contact your local dog warden . Our neighbour got a letter warning of removal of their dog is they did not keep it quiet.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Jun-21 21:29:05

floradora not every area has a dog warden we used to but lost him/ her a few years back

greenlady102 Fri 18-Jun-21 21:33:51

nadateturbe

We have had this problem and had to tell our neighbour. There's no way round it. Your neighbour may not even be aware the dog is lonely and be grateful.
There are still times that we have to say again. It's stressful and unfair but you just have to deal with it. Better than listening to the dog barking all day, which is bad for your health.

its VERY bad for the dog too sad

Rosina Fri 18-Jun-21 22:45:18

Nine hours is far, far too long to leave a dog. This is cruelty - dogs don't understand that you will be coming back - they just know they have seen the person they rely on leaving, and the poor creature's distress must get worse and worse as the hours pass. Please speak to your neighbour, and if you are able, perhaps have the dog for a couple of hours with you - it would help to calm and reassure it.

Shelflife Fri 18-Jun-21 22:52:09

This poor dog is confused , anxious and lonely, not surprising it barks all day! I don't have a dog but my common sense tells me it is unwise to leave a dog alone for such long periods day after day. I would also question the ' wisdom' of getting the bitch in pup when they both work full time , then landing them with her mum ! Sorry to sound harsh but dogs are a huge responsibility and a dog with pups is a greater responsibility!!! You must speak to your neighbours or they will be unaware of how distressed their dog is. Doggy day care sounds like a sound option , hopefully your neighbours will arrange this. Apart from the dogs distress you should not have to put up with the constant barking!

CafeAuLait Sat 19-Jun-21 00:02:30

Poor dog. :-( I agree with let the owners know. They probably have no idea. I'd want to know if my dog was distressed so I could be a good neighbour and make sure my dog is happy.

nadateturbe Sat 19-Jun-21 00:22:30

its VERY bad for the dog too^

It is but I would be more concerned about the effect on myself.