Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hot and Cold

(16 Posts)
ExDancer Sat 31-Jul-21 10:45:33

I feel the cold, I am always cold, there were only a few times during this last hot spell that I felt 'too hot'.
My husband is the opposite and throws open all the windows and doors and hunts out the fans at the first sign of sun. I sit here shivering and really can't understand him.
Today I'm wearing vest (yes) blouse and wool jumper with jeans, socks and sneakers and I'm cold.
It's 21c inside and 15c out.
How can I stay warm? (without using the fan heater etc?)

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 10:54:39

Electric heating pad in your chair?
Your husband in another with fan directed towards him only?
Sorry not that helpful.

cornishpatsy Sat 31-Jul-21 11:15:14

I feel the cold if I sit still for too long, preferable to being hot though, cannot stand the heat.

B9exchange Sat 31-Jul-21 11:15:58

I have a throw that I wrap round me (and blip the heating on when DH not looking!) I assume your thyroid function has been tested and is normal?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:39:51

Well if it is 21 degrees centigrade indoors and 15 out, I don't wonder you are cold. I would be too.

The problem is not how you get warm, you do that by turning on the heating, but how you and your DH are going to continue to live together.

I suggest separate sitting-rooms, as he obviously has no consideration for your feelings, while you are putting up with him opening windows while you are blue with cold.

Pittcity Sat 31-Jul-21 15:13:47

We have the same problem here. DH is always feeling hot. I am sure that it is him who has the problem with temperature regulation as I always need more layers of clothing than him all year round. That said I do have an underactive thyroid!

I have regular GP checks but he doesn't consider his hot flushes a worry.

I sympathise ExDancer.

Jaxjacky Sat 31-Jul-21 15:42:20

Thermal long sleeved vests and thermal tights plus socks, da mart sell good ones. The vests are like t shirts, I wear them in winter.

MiniMoon Sat 31-Jul-21 17:57:00

I know exactly what you mean. My DH throws the doors and windows open creating a cool draught whenever he is in the house. I go behind him closing them. He knows now, that the fan must be kept angled towards him.
Even in the height of summer I have a knee rug beside my end of the sofa. It is only 14 °c here today and I am wearing jeggings, a short sleeved top and a hooded sweatshirt.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 31-Jul-21 18:43:16

Same here. I’m wearing a jumper, trousers and socks and I can’t do without the throw sitting beside me. Another time I’ll be boiling hot doing some chores or gardening. Thermostat totally up the creek but nothing physically wrong with me.

Grannynannywanny Sat 31-Jul-21 18:43:44

ExDancer it might be worth mentioning to your GP. It can sometimes be a sign of an under active thyroid easily diagnosed by a blood test.

ValerieF Sun 01-Aug-21 17:38:23

You don’t say how old you are? If you are under 70 then I would say it is not normal to feel so cold at temps you mention Go get a check up

Kali2 Sun 01-Aug-21 17:40:21

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Tizliz Sun 01-Aug-21 17:45:38

The opposite here. Husband is always cold, I am a lot warmer. He wears a fleecy jumper and thick socks. At night we have a 13tog duvet then on his side a wool throw folded double and a fleece bedspread, I open the windows! We don’t argue, he just puts on another layer if he is cold. 20 deg is good for me.

M0nica Mon 02-Aug-21 17:12:45

Back into winter nighties and even put the electric blanket on for a short period on Saturday evening.

I have always felt the cold, even as a child, when other girls at school were walking around in school shirts, i would have a sweater and sometimes a blazer over my shirt. I have had Reynaud 's Syndrome in my hands since my 20s and have perennially cold feet.

The one thing I do NOT have is a DH opening windows and turning the heating off. DH is a much warmer person than me, but despite feeling the cold I do not like warm rooms, I prefer cooler rooms and keep warm with extra clothing. Our heating is set at 18.5.

tanith Mon 02-Aug-21 17:37:35

I was at GPs for my diabetes check today the young nurse not only had the radiator on she had a fan heater going as well which she turned off when I arrived. It’s 18/19* here today I was in shorts and T-shirt we did have a laugh about how cold she was though.

Mildmanneredgran Mon 02-Aug-21 17:56:30

Well, have you heard of an "Oodie"? No, I don't work for them, but I bought one for my daughter and my son bought one for me. They're basically large blankets with sleeves and a hood. Not too glamorous, but I'm built for comfort not for glam now. They are divine. And easy to take on and off when your personal thermostat reaches the required temperature!