Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Life with an 18 month old dog

(29 Posts)
Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 11:49:28

I have 5 grandchildren who I have on a rota basis. I don't have the 3 year old ( youngest ) granddaughter at home though because Rana roo ( dog ) is strong and eager to splat guests with her whole being on your as she things she's a pug but she's a 24 kilo saluki. So as this Granddaughter has been scratched before I now have her but book thinks like sensory clubs ( autistic ) or productions or lunch out of instead, not stay over yet anymore but my daughter says she's worried I won't have the bond I have with her other two ( my other two are with my other daughter ) . I say she will be fine as I still book time out with her and when she's bigger she can stay too.
It's Rana and mine home not the grandchildrens and I feel that Rana has the right to be everywhere she normally is and if the 3 year old is here, I'm worried and Rana doesn't know what's up etc etc
Has anyone said no to their daughter to having a child overnight for now at home.

tanith Sat 11-Sep-21 12:01:07

If you’d rather give up having your GD overnight than keep your boisterous dog away that’s entirely your choice. Personally my family come before any animals sensibilities. I don’t mean that unkindly we all have different priorities in life god forbid we were all the same.

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Sep-21 12:04:04

Why not just train your dog to not be an “ enthusiastic” greeter? It’s perfectly possible .

I’ve had dogs all my life , in some cases giant breeds and they were all taught to sit and wait to be told it’s ok to say hello . For our little ones that meant usually they climbed on the sofa and the dog came to them , nice pat - job done.

A tip told to me by a behaviourist was to shut an enthusiastic dog in another room for ten minutes when people arrive. By the time you let them out they aren’t so excited as the scent is an old one.

LauraNorder Sat 11-Sep-21 12:07:45

Maybe some dog training to calm Rana roo wouldn’t go amiss.
Lots you can do with your littlest grandchild away from your home.
I don’t understand this preoccupation with sleepovers. You’re not bonding while you’re all asleep.
She’ll soon be a little bit older and the bonds will be as strong as with your other grandchildren.

Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 12:08:45

NannaandGrampy thank you. I am in the process of doing that. The training classes were not open when I first got her. The older ones are very good and stand still so Rana knows no jumping if your standing still, she's just very eager when you first walk in , whether you've been to post box or an hour , the eager still there. I will try the room thing when she visits with her mum next.
I have lymphadema so find it all too much on my own with the worry of the 3 year old but she still comes with her mum it's just when she's on the rota for her turn as all 5 are 1 at a time.

Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 12:10:18

" LauraNorder'" this made me smile thank you

25Avalon Sat 11-Sep-21 12:17:26

Neen I think you are very wise. The 3 year old gd is very young for a big boisterous dog to be around. It could put her off dogs for life. As gd gets a little older and Rana calms down as she gets older and perhaps a little more training then you could consider it.

3dognight Sat 11-Sep-21 12:23:45

Get a dog gate (or a couple of gates). Walk and feed Rana before child arrives, shut her behind a dog gate with her bed, and attend to your grandchild.

The Salukis I have known have all been aloof, and not that bothered about people once past the puppy stage.

My sister was an excellent dog trainer and used to say, ‘no look, no touch, no eye contact’ from folks arriving/ coming into the home. Her dogs realised that people had not come to see them and we’re quiet when later called to greet guests.

MayBee70 Sat 11-Sep-21 12:45:05

I know the pandemic stopped it anyway but I’d reached the point where having my granddaughter overnight was exhausting me, especially as she’s a 6o’clock riser. Plus the fact that my previous dog was quite happy in the kitchen as I was still working part time when I had her but this one is my constant companion. Sighthounds are great companions for children on the autistic spectrum especially as they love cuddling up to people and aren’t barky. I have a dog gate across the kitchen because my eldest grandson was afraid of dogs and when my younger grandchildren start visiting again I’ll probably get a few baby gates. Salukis are adorable but they’re probably the most difficult sighthounds to train. And like most sighthounds they’re either fast asleep or doing everything at 100 miles an hour. I think, if you get the balance right your dog and granddaughter will become the best of friends. And your dog will start to calm down a bit now she’s older.

Luckygirl Sat 11-Sep-21 12:51:26

tanith - indeed.

Children first, dog second. Stick dog in another room or behind a gate if she can't behave around your GC.

Or lose out on enjoying your GC. Choice is yours.

Either is a valid choice, but the child's well-being comes 100% first.

Blondiescot Sat 11-Sep-21 12:51:43

Don't get rid of your beautiful dog! A dog is a lifetime commitment and a member of the family like any other one. With a bit of training, you can all learn to co-exist happily!

Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 13:18:35

Blondiescot noooo I'd never get rid of Rana roo, she's my friend and funny, pretty, cuddly and my dog.
I'm sure as youngest granddaughter gets bigger and roo calms, with extra training thrown in for good measure, all in time will be fine. For now I think, carry on with outings with youngest granddaughter and not at home while I introduce a stair gate to roo lovingly.

MayBeMaw Sat 11-Sep-21 13:21:40

When first GS was born D was very nervous about my greyhound so I used to put her in kennels if they were staying over. D has thawed since then and 2 greyhounds later I know Rosie is bombproof BUT a babygate across the doorway is by far the safest thing to have. It also means the dog is in it's safe space- those little humans can.be very annoying!

Zoejory Sat 11-Sep-21 13:29:19

Rana is just beautiful! And she is 18 months old. Still puppy-ish age. She will calm down. But you're perfectly right in saying no overnight stays for now.

Not a fan of sleepovers either. I love my grandchildren but prefer them to sleep in their own homes!

3nanny6 Sat 11-Sep-21 13:46:02

Neen: I do not have overnight stays with the grand-children as they are somewhat nervous of dogs. My eldest dog is almost twelve now and the other one is 10 and they have lived in my home from small puppies and now in old age they will stay with me until whatever time permits.
Daughters children came along and she had two in quick succession when she came I had a crate in kitchen where one dog went and the eldest one went for a lie down on the bed upstairs one of her favourite places and still is. It all worked out okay but then daughter moved about half an hour away and she does not drive and she also had another baby and it was easier for me to drive to her and see the grand-children.
My eldest daughter lived near the grand-children and she does not have children so the two girls had the sleepovers with her. Eldest daughter had a house cat and the GC were terrified of it at first but now they are okay with it.
I have now got my sons GC who is two and half months old and him and his partner call in to see me and so the dogs are put away. I occasionally look after him when they ask me but I pop around to their place to do it much easier and the dogs left at home relax as they wish.

Smileless2012 Sat 11-Sep-21 14:30:22

At 15 months old your dog is not too old to be trained Neen.

It looks from your OP that your D's only concern with the arrangements you currently have for your GD, is that your bond with her may be affected.

Your home is your home and Rana gives you love and company when you're there alone. I don't agree that this is a matter of you prioritising your dog's needs over your GD's; you're doing what's best for both of them.

IMO you're approach is the correct one. You are spending quality time with your GD whilst ensuring her safety while ensuring that Rana is able to enjoy the freedom she has in her home with you, and I agree that that is her right.

It's OK to say no to having this GD stay overnight if this is something you're not happy to do for whatever reason.

Do look into training though especially one to one in your own home. I know from personal experience that it works wonders and have Iam to thank forgiving me her advice a couple of years ago.

Smileless2012 Sat 11-Sep-21 14:31:46

apologies, your dog is 18 months old but still young enough to be trained.

Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 14:43:43

Smileless2012 and several others. Thank you . It helped just reading the replies and decide on outings only for the little one for now.
I will introduce a stair gate in case there is an emergency one day but I'll do it with just roo and I now and again for now so it feels normal for her and she can still see me etc

MayBee70 Sat 11-Sep-21 18:49:56

Just thought about something. Our dog has a halti lead and, pre covid when we had people coming and going from the house and we were worried eg about our dog running outside we would attach the halti to the table leg or something safe in whichever room she is in. Obviously with a cosy bed nearby.

Gwyneth Sat 11-Sep-21 19:04:09

You obviously do an awful lot for your grand children and see then regularly * Neen*. I would definitely wait until your granddaughter is older and understands how to behave around a dog. I agree it is your home and your dog lives with you so you need to consider your dog’s needs too. Dogs are still very lively at 18 months but good training will ensure that dog and grand children can be compatible. Rana looks gorgeous by the way.

Neen Sat 11-Sep-21 19:25:46

Gwyneth thank you. She's a poppet. Here she is mid yawn on holiday.

Thank you everyone

Caleo Sat 11-Sep-21 21:00:21

The advice from Smileless is just about perfect. Poor Rana!

CanadianGran Sat 11-Sep-21 21:02:31

She looks lovely. Yes a gate to keep her back, especially from the door when little ones come in. My Australian shepherd is wonderful with the grandkids, but gets a bit jumpy at the door when they come in. I'm afraid she will knock down the youngest who is 5. I usually hold her collar until the kids are in and the shoes and jackets are off; by then the dog just wiggles ferociously.

Training will take a bit of time, and of course it depends on the dog. A gate should do the trick.

Gwyneth Sun 12-Sep-21 00:01:15

Lovely photo Neen thank you for posting it.

Smileless2012 Sun 12-Sep-21 14:20:40

She's lovely Neensmile and the gate is a great idea.