Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

‘ This Morning’ with Phil and Holly

(129 Posts)
DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:31:28

Just thought I’d put this out there to see what others think. My daughter was telling me about an episode of ‘ This Morning’ she saw.

The basic gist was...a new mum phoned in with a problem. My daughter said the Agony Aunt is a granny, she’s seen her before, and she’s talked about her grandchildren.

The new mum has a month old baby, and the paternal grandparents are insisting that they visit the young couple in their home...for Christmas Day. The mum was saying she and her husband don’t want this. They want the first Christmas to be just them and their new baby. They certainly don’t want to be hosting.

The problem was put to this agony aunt, and my daughter said she basically said they should have the grandparents. It would be awful for them to “ miss out” on baby’s first Christmas. Phil seemed to agree, and most of the audience. I didn’t think there was an audience, but I never watch it. Holly tried to see it from the young mum’s point of view, but I think in the end, the young mum felt railroaded into agreeing she should have them for the day....and everyone cheered.

My daughter was gobsmacked by this....and so was I. There was no mention of her parents.

Sorry...I can’t do the link thing, but what do you think? Maybe some of you saw it. I know there are grandparents who seem to want to do it all again....they’re on here....but I felt this sounded so imposing I was speechless, which is unusual for me!

So...over to you.

Shinamae Thu 21-Oct-21 12:33:36

Sorry, I can’t help as I cannot stand that program and never watch it

Zoejory Thu 21-Oct-21 12:40:06

Can't stand Holly and Philip. Don't watch the programme.

However the scenario sounds all wrong. Of course the grandparents shouldn't foist themselves on the young family. If my husband's grandparents had tried this I'd have been extremely annoyed. And I'd not have opened the door either! Nobody has a right to a certain time with a newborn. It has to be the parent's wishes first.

Very strange. I've tried looking for the clip but to no avail at present but you and your daughter are spot on, Discodancer1975!

Talk about entitled grandparents!

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:44:36

Zoejory

Can't stand Holly and Philip. Don't watch the programme.

However the scenario sounds all wrong. Of course the grandparents shouldn't foist themselves on the young family. If my husband's grandparents had tried this I'd have been extremely annoyed. And I'd not have opened the door either! Nobody has a right to a certain time with a newborn. It has to be the parent's wishes first.

Very strange. I've tried looking for the clip but to no avail at present but you and your daughter are spot on, Discodancer1975!

Talk about entitled grandparents!

Absolutely....I shut the door on my in laws a few times!!

PinkCosmos Thu 21-Oct-21 12:54:25

Our first GC was about 9 months old on his first Christmas.

We asked the parents if we could call for an hour on Christmas Day, just to drop presents off and see them. We called in the morning.

I didn't think this was unreasonable and we had agreed it with them. I would expect them to want to be on their own with their new baby.

FlexibleFriend Thu 21-Oct-21 13:13:30

I think they should tell the grandparents exactly what they want and take no nonsense. If they want to spend Xmas on their own with their baby they should do that, don't go setting a precedent, start as you mean to go on.

TerriBull Thu 21-Oct-21 13:17:49

I can't stand either Phil or Holly seems a lot of us feel the same, definitely wouldn't watch their programme.

Back to the main point of your post though, I completely agree with you, the grandparents sound unbelievable entitled to "insist". If they suggest,and that's okayed by the parents well not a problem, it's the insisting though it makes them sound like a couple of tyrants.

flump Thu 21-Oct-21 13:26:58

If the grandparents want to spend time with the baby, they should have invited the young couple to their home for Christmas day. It would have been kinder and more appreciated, I suspect.

Mitten Thu 21-Oct-21 13:27:11

I’m 73 and thinks it’s time Ageism was taken seriously… I went to a new Doctors recently and when I said I was there for my HRT check I was greeted with “what you are 73” and then given endless reasons why I could not use it anymore. I work 3 days a week and yesterday my manager sent me an e-Mail checking my date of birth and when I confirmed it as correct the message I got back was in capitals and so offensive I can’t type it here. I really do not think that in 2021 people over 65 should be treated as as homogeneous group of aged people. I would like others views on this please.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Oct-21 13:33:14

I don’t watch the programme but what a cheek! That relationship is going to get frayed pretty soon if it hasn’t already.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 13:35:51

Mitten

I’m 73 and thinks it’s time Ageism was taken seriously… I went to a new Doctors recently and when I said I was there for my HRT check I was greeted with “what you are 73” and then given endless reasons why I could not use it anymore. I work 3 days a week and yesterday my manager sent me an e-Mail checking my date of birth and when I confirmed it as correct the message I got back was in capitals and so offensive I can’t type it here. I really do not think that in 2021 people over 65 should be treated as as homogeneous group of aged people. I would like others views on this please.

You need to start your own thread Mitten. Go to forums, and pick a group. ‘ Ask a gran’ sounds right for you. Then just go to ‘ Start your own discussion’, and away you go.....?

Kate1949 Thu 21-Oct-21 14:30:42

There is no audience on This Morning. Don't get me started on Phillip Schofield. I sometimes watch the 'agony' section. I don't know why they bother with an agony aunt. Phil seems to think he has all the answers

LovelyCuppa Thu 21-Oct-21 14:59:36

Whatever the occasion, insisting you visit someone who would rather not have your company at that particular time is a little odd!

62Granny Thu 21-Oct-21 16:33:35

The poor mum, why are people so intimidating to new mothers, she probably is just getting used to the baby and if she is dressed and brushed her hair and teeth by lunch time its a good day. I might say come for an hour but I am not cooking for a family meal full stop. It would be.much more appreciated by the young couple if the MiL said we will call in for an hour and bring you lunch for you to enjoy alone later , can I do anything else for you.

glammanana Thu 21-Oct-21 16:46:53

The new parents need to set boundaries asap or they are going to have problems later on with future visits.
The young new family should be left on their own to make their own first Christmas memories there is plenty of time later in the festive season for GPs to visit at a time which suits the parents.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:58:52

I’ve tried to find the clip. No luck so far. I’ll ask my daughter if she has a link. More tech savvy than me!

Dinahmo Thu 21-Oct-21 17:11:57

I think that the husband should have stood up to his parents and said no. The baby will be 3 months old at Christmas (or thereabouts). He or she won't be able to appreciate their Christmas presents. What do the GPs expect to do with a baby that age? Perhaps they could do nappy changing whilst they're there?

I'm childfree so don't expect all you GPs to agree with me but it does seem as though some GPs are getting very intense over their GCs.

MerylStreep Thu 21-Oct-21 17:16:10

Here it is but you have to sign into tv player. Can’t be bothered as I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than watch those 2.

player.stv.tv/summary/this-morning

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 17:21:17

Are they bringing and cooking Christmas dinner?

It would be awful for them to “ miss out” on baby’s first Christmas.
As if a 3 month old will know anything about it! With a bit of luck he or she will be asleep for most of the time.

I wouldn't ask Phil and Holly's opinion on anything.

The new parents need to make up their own minds what they want to do and what is best for them and the baby.

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:23:38

I didn't see it but TBH I don't understand why this new mum, supported by the father of her child just doesn't say no to his parents.

It may be the case that "some GPs are getting very intense over their GC" that said I find it difficult to understand why their off spring and their partners make such a big deal out of a relatively small, and easily dealt with issue.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:26:17

MerylStreep

Here it is but you have to sign into tv player. Can’t be bothered as I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than watch those 2.

player.stv.tv/summary/this-morning

??...yes...agree. I think my daughter just has it on sometimes so she doesn’t have to think! A bit mind numbing maybe. Thanks for the link though.

Galaxy Thu 21-Oct-21 17:29:50

I know that whenever I am making a decision I always think I wonder what Philip Schofield would do, I then at all times try to do the opposite.

Audi10 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:36:27

Oh I can’t stand the smug Philip scofield and his sidekick childish holly willoby spelt wrong, I don’t understand these grandparents who try and push themselves on there adult children when they have a baby, why don’t the new parents put their foot down, it wouldn’t have ever happened with us

Audi10 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:36:47

Their

Kate1949 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:38:42

We have never spent Christmas Day with our daughter and her family and she's been married 20 years!