Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Enormous unflattering shapeless coats-what are they?

(41 Posts)
Skydancer Thu 25-Nov-21 20:05:41

On TV and by the coast where I live I've noticed people wearing huge baggy long shapeless overcoats. What's the idea? Is it so people can wear thick clothing underneath to sit outside because of Covid? The coats are so unflattering I can't think of another reason.

annodomini Thu 25-Nov-21 20:07:13

What a very patronising observation!

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 20:09:02

Photos?
We can't possibly judge without them.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 20:14:38

Are they moon jackets you mention living by the coast and those of us still swimming in the sea wear moon coats there and back, they are big, warm with warm furry insides and you can take your arms out to change in them
Of course if you are talking about people in the town or shopping then it’s not them
Just a thought

Zoejory Thu 25-Nov-21 20:15:32

The Dryrobe coats? Funnily enough I was at a friends today and she has one.

Magnificent apparel for dog walking or rambling. But I do agree they're not particularly flattering.

dryrobe.com/products/dryrobe-advance-short-sleeve-black-pink

Allsorts Thu 25-Nov-21 20:15:44

Why is it patronising, it’s her opinion. They are very unattractive, they look like sleeping bags, but if they want to walk around in them that’s up to them. Not my choice.

Marydoll Thu 25-Nov-21 20:17:29

A bit pass remarkable, to judge, as my mother would have said. Does it really matter, what they look like? Each to their own!

Marydoll Thu 25-Nov-21 20:19:18

I have just checked them out, I have seen wild swimmers wearing these, after coming out of the sea. A great idea!

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 20:19:23

Well I have a Moonwrap but it is only for wearing to the beach and back when swimming (not for going out for the day or evening?)
Maybe you re not seeing them but it was just a thought when you said ‘by the coast’

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 20:24:18

We all do wear them marydoll and you can fit a hot water bottle in too ??

M0nica Thu 25-Nov-21 20:24:57

I think I know what you mean. They are called 'dryrobes' and their purpose is to enable winter wild swimmers to get out of the water. Instantly pull their dryrobe on and they can get dry and changed into dry clothes inplaces where there are no changing room.

DD is a wild swimmer and has one and thinks they are absolutely wonderful and says they are ideal for outdoor events like concerts where you take a picnic etc, because if it rains the robe will completely cover you - and your picnic if necessary.

Josianne Thu 25-Nov-21 20:31:53

Dryrobes. Brilliant, but not cheap. Did you know the person who invented them got the idea from something his grannie had made him for going swimming in the sea?

Urmstongran Thu 25-Nov-21 20:34:27

Go grannies eh Josieanne! ?

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 20:36:29

josianne I didn’t know that but my mum used to turn a big bath towel into a kind of changing robe when I was a kid long before dry robes were dreamt of
She would fold it in two and cut a head hole in it and hem it and that completely covered me for changing on the beach long before beach tents etc came into being

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 20:37:35

Dry robes in the summer moon wraps in the winter about £80 plus

Josianne Thu 25-Nov-21 20:49:55

Actually it says his mum on the website, but something tells me he said the actual idea came down from his grandma. Not 100% sure.

Blossoming Thu 25-Nov-21 21:45:51

I haven’t seen anybody wearing long baggy oversize coats, but I am lusting after this one from Voodoo Vixen (even though I don’t need another coat and won’t be going anywhere where I could wear it).

www.voodoovixen.co.uk/macie-herringbone-coat-in-burgundy-14244.html

Auntieflo Thu 25-Nov-21 22:14:45

That is a lovely coat Blossoming, but like you I do not need another coat.

BlueBelle, my mum also made a changing robe for after swimming, from a bath towel sewn up the side and a drawstring round the neck, to keep it on.

annodomini Thu 25-Nov-21 22:37:16

That is an elegant coat, Blossoming and a good price too. It takes me back to the days when I had a waistline!

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 23:12:18

BlueBelle

josianne I didn’t know that but my mum used to turn a big bath towel into a kind of changing robe when I was a kid long before dry robes were dreamt of
She would fold it in two and cut a head hole in it and hem it and that completely covered me for changing on the beach long before beach tents etc came into being

I made those for my DC, I bought bright patterned towelling by the yard.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 23:13:43

Very nice coat and half price too!

Skydancer Fri 26-Nov-21 10:42:14

Dryrobes - yes that must be what they are. Must admit the first time I saw somebody wearing one I thought goodness what is that meant to be. However now you've explained I think it's a great idea. "Annodomini" - I wasn't being patronising. They do nothing to flatter anyone and I had to find a way to describe them. I think the problem these days with GN is that posters have to pick their words before someone has a go at them.

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 10:58:55

We call them towelling tents to describe Skydancer!

Dare I admit that I bought one for my dog in Padstow a few weeks back? Same principle, but with velcro to fasten round him. Quite probably more expensive than humans' ones in terms of fabric!

M0nica Fri 26-Nov-21 10:59:55

Dryrobes also have a waterproof and windproof exterior. According to DD, who went swimming last weekend in a water temperature of 8.2 degrees, you do not feel cold until you get out of the water and you immediately need to get something over you that is warm, drying and waterproof, then you have a hot drink to start warming you from the inside, before getting dressed, under your robe.

DD has a very good system, once she has had her drink, she gets in the car aand drives to the local sports club and sits in the steam room for half an hour, then gets dressed and goes home.

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 11:05:07

One very unimpressed customer of the canine kind.