Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone used a grout pen?

(22 Posts)
kittylester Sat 27-Nov-21 21:38:51

How effective are they? Does it last?

Gingster Sat 27-Nov-21 21:46:02

I have, but wasn’t very happy with it. Ok for just a few tiles but that’s about it

Grannynannywanny Sat 27-Nov-21 22:06:29

I’m afraid my experience of it was very disappointing kittylester. But maybe that was down to poor technique.

Has anyone tried tile paint? I’m tempted to try it on my outdated downstairs loo.

Allsorts Sat 27-Nov-21 22:09:37

Don’t waste you4 money unless it’s a very small section.

mumofmadboys Sat 27-Nov-21 22:14:19

I used a grout pen- was useless. The thing I finds works best is a paintbrush and a little bowl of bleach and painting the grouting with it.

Calistemon Sat 27-Nov-21 22:18:42

Years ago, kittylester.

I wasn't impressed but they could have improved.

It seemed better to scrape out some grout and add fresh (using a finger!).

Calistemon Sat 27-Nov-21 22:19:07

mumofmadboys

I used a grout pen- was useless. The thing I finds works best is a paintbrush and a little bowl of bleach and painting the grouting with it.

Yes, that works too.

Maggiemaybe Sat 27-Nov-21 22:45:33

HG Mould Spray is great for cleaning up grout. Unlike HG Grout Cleaner, which doesn’t. I know because I bought the wrong one recently. smile

Welshwife Sat 27-Nov-21 23:08:45

I have also cleaned grout in the shower tiles using powdered Ajax mixed to a paste and applied with a sponge to the whole area - leave for 20 mins or more and then wash off with the hand shower head - mine came up a treat.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Nov-21 23:25:10

I carefully painted some old grout with white masonry paint. I wiped it off the tiles as I went - worked really well.

Be very careful with tile paint, though, Grannynannywanny. I'm sure that you have to clean and prepare thoroughly first. My daughter once lived in a flat where the bathroom tiles had been painted - and it was flaking off.

Grannynannywanny Sat 27-Nov-21 23:46:21

That’s what’s holding me back Hetty58. I’m concerned my technique with the tile paint will be no better than the grout pen. Only on a bigger scale!

Allegretto Sat 27-Nov-21 23:50:01

I tried a grout pen and it was useless. I use an old toothbrush to apply bleach. It works well.

Hetty58 Sun 28-Nov-21 07:08:54

I've used tile stickers, and, surprisingly, they look very nice too. Much easier than painting.

kittylester Sun 28-Nov-21 08:21:02

Thank you all. It looks like a big fat no.

Sago Sun 28-Nov-21 10:47:43

Ever build forever white grout reviver is brilliant!
Under £5 a tube.
Just clean the grout and tiles, I used my finger to apply, once dry clean excess from tiles.
I needed to smarten up a bathroom in a house I was selling, the tenant never cleaned the bathroom thoroughly and the grout had gone a rusty colour in places.
It looked as good as new when I had finished!
Amazon sell it.

Calistemon Sun 28-Nov-21 10:52:46

I'm sure the one I used put a kind of plastic coating on the grout which soon peeled off.
That was many years ago, perhaps they've improved since then.

Tanzanite Sun 28-Nov-21 10:58:32

I can confirm ever build grout restorer in a squeeze tube works. Quick to apply with your finger, slightly messy but gives a very bright white finish. I've done half of mine so far. Previous occupiers smoked heavy and never cleaned anything in years, everything was an orange/brown colour. Now the tile grout looks brand new. I must finish the rest in the shower!

Sago Sun 28-Nov-21 11:17:02

Tanzanite It’s so satisfying isn’t it!
I was amazed at the results too.

kittylester Sun 28-Nov-21 12:25:50

Too late, we've just booked the tiler!!

glammanana Sun 28-Nov-21 13:51:12

I needed my tiles re-grouting and decided to buy 2 grouting pens from Wilko the offer was buy 1 get 1 half price I wish I had never bothered it was rubbish I ended up getting DGS4 to re-grout the whole area in fresh grout

JaneJudge Sun 28-Nov-21 13:56:53

I'll tell you what I have found useful for cleaning grout, THESE LITTLE WIRE BRUSHES I didn't get them from amazon though, I think they were £1 in Home bargains smile

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Nov-21 17:11:19

Impressive result Tanzinite!