Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gallstones

(13 Posts)
MiniMoon Mon 29-Nov-21 14:15:58

I was diagnosed with these in July. Since then and until last week I have been symptom free. I cooked a lovely beef stew for when my son visited, then during the night the pain returned.
I've been trying to eat fat free food, and have managed most days, but I am running out of inspiration.
Do any of you have any ideas for sandwich fillings and jacket potato toppings?
DH and I are going out on Saturday lunchtime to a Michelin starred restaurant. We are having the taster menu, this was a 70th birthday gift for my husband. Do I go and suffer afterwards, do I stay at home instead, or is there a way to mitigate the after effects?
My 70th birthday and Christmas are just around the corner. What do I do, please help.

silverlining48 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:49:41

Sorry to hear that Minimoon, it does hurt I know. Mine used to wake me at night as well, so had it removed 2 years ago. No problems since.
As the pain comes and goes you will probably be ok fir this weeks special meal but maybe it’s time to have a word with your gp.

rosie1959 Mon 29-Nov-21 16:39:33

I sympathise its an awful pain apart from going totally fat free I found no other way of avoiding an attack
Suggest the best thing to do is have them removed they don't get better

MiniMoon Mon 29-Nov-21 17:55:58

I've left ringing my GP until tomorrow. Monday is always very busy at the practice. I am going to ask her to refer me to a Consultant so that I can have my gallbladder removed. I think it's the only way to go.
My sister had hers removed last year.

rosie1959 Mon 29-Nov-21 18:07:24

Good luck hope you get it sorted quickly

Septimia Mon 29-Nov-21 18:09:06

I didn't find that there was a direct link between what I'd eaten and getting the pain, not even fatty foods in moderation. However, cucumber is supposed to aggravate it. Tomatoes and citrus fruit, as well as wine not longer suit my digestive system. So it's worthwhile noting what aggravates the pain.

My gallstones were misdiagnosed because I first had problems when I was a very slim 19 year old. It wasn't until some 30 years later that I diagnosed the problem myself and told my GP. I didn't suffer constantly during that time - for many years I was fine.

Humbertbear Tue 30-Nov-21 07:30:10

I had my gall bladder removed in the summer having ignored the symptoms for over a year. I didn’t even have to stay in overnight and felt fine straightaway. Go for it.

Humbertbear Tue 30-Nov-21 07:30:53

Should have said, its dangerous to leave it. Apparently my gall bladder was near to rupturing. Who knew such a thing could happen? Also, the attacks only get worse.

MiniMoon Tue 30-Nov-21 10:47:30

I've booked an appointment with my GP for tomorrow morning. Hopefully she will get things moving for surgery. My sister in Durham didn't have to wait too long for hers.
Why did it have to flare up now, with all the lovely meals we have booked. I've been looking forward to going g to Hjem since trying to book a table in May!

dragonfly46 Tue 30-Nov-21 10:52:23

My son had gall stones when he was 30. He ignored the symptoms until one day a gall stone stuck in passage to the pancreas and he almost died.
He was in hospital for 7 weeks and had to wait a while before they could remove the gall bladder by which time they had to remove half his pancreas as well.
He was off work for 7 months.

I would strongly advise you to have the gall bladder removed.

I have a friend who has just developed symptoms but the surgeon is reluctant to remove her gall bladder as she is 80 even privately.

Jane43 Wed 01-Dec-21 21:20:12

DH had keyhole surgery in May for gall bladder removal. There were a lot of stones so there was spillage and consequently the op took longer than expected. However once he was discharged he soon recovered and is now feeling better than he has felt for some time. There were only three weeks from the severe pain of an attack until surgery so we didn't have to bother too much about what he ate. I would say baked beans are a safe option for jacket potato filling and perhaps tuna for sandwich filling. After reading your post dragonfly46 I am thinking he was lucky to have been given the op, he had it just before his 78th birthday, he is very slim and fit though. Your son had a bad experience, hope he is fully recovered now.

Kamiso Wed 01-Dec-21 21:26:27

Coincidence! I got taken into hospital at the beginning of the week, after vomiting and diahorea and am still here waiting to see what the resolution is. I was assuming they would remove the stones with ultrasound. Beginning to think i’ll Be here til Christmas!

MiniMoon Wed 01-Dec-21 22:00:55

I spoke with my GP this morning. She advised me to increase my dose of lansoprazole which she put me on in October. She is going to call me on Tuesday to find out if it has helped. We will have to wait and see.
I am being exceptionally careful with fat in food, and am trying to avoid as much as possible. We are going for a special meal on Saturday, and I hope I will be okay afterwards.
One positive thing to come out of it is that I've lost some weight! That's a few more of the lockdown pounds gone.