Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

D of E Silver Award: Skills section ideas needed?

(19 Posts)
Skydancer Tue 30-Nov-21 10:16:16

My GS, nearly 15, is seeking ideas for the Skills Section of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. I can think of several things he'd enjoy but they are all expensive, ie learning to drive at an offroad centre near us, flying birds of prey etc. All this type of thing costs around £50 per hour and a minimum of 12 hours is required. Apart from spending a fortune - who is prepared to spend that length of time teaching a 15-year-old? I just can't think of anything inexpensive that would appeal to him. Also I'm guessing a lot of places have to take out insurance and, as he's under 16, probably couldn't be left on his own. Has anyone ideas?

growstuff Tue 30-Nov-21 10:22:14

It doesn't have to be expensive or even an entirely new skill. It could be something like refereeing a local team, gardening, setting up and maintaining a website.

Here are some examples:

dukeofed.com.au/about-the-award/sections-in-detail/skills/

Blossoming Tue 30-Nov-21 10:28:44

Cooking, sewing. Not traditionally boys pursuits but definitely useful life skills.

Tizliz Tue 30-Nov-21 10:35:13

At our rifle club we trained a young lad for his DoE, didn’t charge him and gave him a year membership for free - so it is worth asking around.

annodomini Tue 30-Nov-21 10:49:05

My DGD learnt to play the violin as her DofE skill. She soon got good enough to pass Grade 1 exam. There are other instruments that might interest your GS. Maybe he likes music and could take guitar lessons - or drumming. DGD, who is now 19 loved doing the DofE and eventually gained the gold award.

Urmstongran Tue 30-Nov-21 11:14:58

Just to say what lovely replies. GN at its best.
?

Lucca Tue 30-Nov-21 11:25:53

DIY of some kind ?

JaneJudge Tue 30-Nov-21 11:27:25

Why not ask on local facebook if anyone could spare the time to teach him something? There is an organisation called men in sheds for example who do woodwork etc who may be able to help?

muse Tue 30-Nov-21 11:52:20

I'm a member of a wood turning club and we have youngsters in on training sessions.

DRB checks are needed for tutors or a responsible adult or guardian can accompany them.

I've a nephew that got into cooking through the skills section.

Skydancer Tue 30-Nov-21 14:28:03

Thank you. There are some interesting replies on here. I will have a word with my GS to discuss. He did woodwork for his Bronze so can't be that. Of course, as you can imagine, he would like something fast and furious! But we have to be realistic. I think the problem is more trying to find someone to teach him something - the main obstacle being Covid of course.

Sago Tue 30-Nov-21 15:24:50

At 16 my youngest did a cricket coaching course via the English Cricket Board.
It was free!

midgey Tue 30-Nov-21 16:16:13

What about learning BSL, British sign language. An amazingly useful skill.

mumofmadboys Tue 30-Nov-21 16:39:54

I learnt the card game bridge for my gold DOE. 45 years later I am back playing the game and loving it

agnurse Tue 30-Nov-21 17:37:50

I did music and creative writing for mine.

Peasblossom Tue 30-Nov-21 18:42:46

midgey

What about learning BSL, British sign language. An amazingly useful skill.

I’ll second that. There are (very cheap, subsidised courses) and plenty of online tuition and practice.

PamelaJ1 Tue 30-Nov-21 18:46:42

Are sports such as badminton or tennis counted as a skill?

Kate54 Tue 30-Nov-21 21:28:27

ukulele?

Pythagoras Tue 30-Nov-21 21:38:05

Skateboarding? My son-in-law teaches it smile

Mamardoit Wed 01-Dec-21 07:20:31

If you want something that's free how about checking if the local church has a band of bellringers. They are always looking for young people willing to learn to ring.