Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you on Facebook?

(65 Posts)
CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 18:06:59

I briefly was but found it pointless.

Too much this and that about nothing and then so many photos of people I didn’t know.

Audi10 Tue 17-May-22 18:11:05

No

ShazzaKanazza Tue 17-May-22 18:16:15

No I left years ago and I’ve been happier without it. My best friend sits on it constantly and barely lifts her head up to chat. It’s good for promoting businesses though. It does have its uses.

foxie48 Tue 17-May-22 18:16:38

Yes, I don't post much myself but I have a lot of much younger friends who communicate by messenger. I also belong to several groups and we arrange meetings etc via the fb group. tbh I also have some interesting things "pop" up on fb but I don't spend much time on it.

Grandmabatty Tue 17-May-22 18:20:34

I have a Facebook account but rarely use it. It's all adverts and faux meaningful posts from people I don't know.

Keeleklogger Tue 17-May-22 18:21:35

Yes I am on Facebook, I moderate 2 local village group pages

Elizabeth27 Tue 17-May-22 18:31:09

Yes, I like the local pages, history pages and market place. I do not have any ‘friends’ added nor do I post anything.

timetogo2016 Tue 17-May-22 18:34:24

Nope.

Casdon Tue 17-May-22 18:37:35

CoffeeFirst1

I briefly was but found it pointless.

Too much this and that about nothing and then so many photos of people I didn’t know.

I don’t understand what you mean CoffeeFirst1? You can block all posters you don’t want to see, including adverts so all you see is posts from your friends and groups you have actively joined. You don’t have to have posts you make publicly available either - it’s a tool to use to suit you.

CatsCatsCats Tue 17-May-22 18:41:44

I find it really good for interest groups.

maddyone Tue 17-May-22 18:45:10

I am, but don’t post anything any longer.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 17-May-22 18:45:57

I'm on it but don't post things that some do - photos of the meal I've had or bragging about holidays, for example.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-May-22 18:55:58

I use messenger so have to have a Facebook account. I occasionally look at other peoples photos but never post anything.
My nephew posted photos of himself and partner at the airport off on holiday??‍♀️. Nuts.

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 19:00:47

No. I wouldn’t know how to, and I live a quiet life.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 17-May-22 19:03:07

I belong to 3 groups -all places that I used to live, also an old school group where I keep in touch with old school friends. I have several cousins who I don’t get to see as they live too far away and we all keep in touch on FB.
I enjoy keeping in touch with people from my past.

dolphindaisy Tue 17-May-22 19:07:38

I joined recently, mainly to keep in touch with relatives abroad and to use messenger. I have strict privacy settings, never post anything but do follow some local groups, and a couple of groups for a condition I have, I find these very interesting and learn a lot from them.

BlueBelle Tue 17-May-22 19:14:14

I ve been on FB 12 years plus and wouldn’t be without it I belong to local gardening groups, a local history group, local ‘what’s on’ groups,,help groups, the local theatre
I set up two of my own groups one for my old school and one for Syrian refugees
I belong to photographic groups, the local park,
the sea swimming group, I do lots of selling on market place
I only have friends and relations I know on my own page
I use messenger for all my free phone calls or FaceTime
I could go on an on

Greenfinch Tue 17-May-22 19:15:50

I used to be but got fed up with the trivia.

paddyann54 Tue 17-May-22 19:18:31

I'm on FB ,have been for years .I keep in touch with friends and family worldwide on it.My GC msg me most days and I "chat" to my daughter in the early hours to keep her company when she cant sleep through pain.
I also keep in touch with all my Independence groups
I dont do the food pictures or the Happy heavenly birthday stuff or let anyone know where I am or who with all the time .It is what you want it to be

LadyGracie Tue 17-May-22 19:19:39

I do use Facebook, I enjoy the local history groups and local information on social groups. Marketplace is good for selling locally, I speak to my DS and SIL abroad on messenger.

Blondiescot Tue 17-May-22 19:22:32

Yes, I help run a number of FB groups on various subjects as well as maintaining the FB groups for my work too. I also use it to buy and sell things on Marketplace, as well as keeping in touch with family members and friends via Messenger.

Deedaa Tue 17-May-22 19:25:25

I've been on it for years. I keep in touch with old friends and people I used to work with. I even found my old next door neighbour who used to baby sit for me nearly 50 years ago. I also belong to a brilliant cancer support group and a couple of special interest groups.

CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 20:03:16

HowVeryDareYou

I'm on it but don't post things that some do - photos of the meal I've had or bragging about holidays, for example.

That’s all I could ever see, loads of photos of meals out, holiday snaps. All very lovely but just so many of them. Definitely a great deal of bragging by some.

I do sometimes wonder if I’m missing out by not being on it, if only to catch up with those I never see in real life.

I’ll think on it, thank you ladies it’s given me something to think on ?

Cabbie21 Tue 17-May-22 20:14:22

I am on it, but I rarely post, unless I have been somewhere beautiful, then I post some photos.
I also use to to see what friends are up to, but mostly I use if for groups: local ones, nostalgia ones for places I used to live and also my choir and my church.

grannyrebel7 Tue 17-May-22 20:16:03

I'm on it and I used to love it, but I think it's old hat now. I prefer my WhatsApp groups and of course GN now. I sometimes have a flick through it but don't post anything anymore. My DH is always on it and Twitter.