Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mobility scooter

(5 Posts)
travelnan Wed 18-May-22 11:30:10

I am disabled and use a mobility scooter to get around. At the moment I have two, one which is kept in the car as it is quite heavy and we have an electric hoist fitted so it is easy to get in and out of the car. The second one is a small and I use it to take on holiday, we do not take the car on holiday so it is not very heavy and one person can lift it without too much trouble. However, said little scooter is now feeling its age (it is nearly 20 year old!) and has done sterling service, which brings me to ask if anyone has purchased one of the new automatic folding ones that you operate with a key, or should I purchase another one like I already have. Would like to hear any opinions. Thank you.

H1954 Thu 19-May-22 08:19:24

Sorry travelnan, I have no experience of these small folding scooters. Are there no ratings and reviews on their individual websites?
One thing I will say though, non of us are getting any younger so maybe you should consider any potential changes in circumstances.

Cabbie21 Thu 19-May-22 08:51:40

My DH has one that you take apart and it fits into the boot, but it is increasingly difficult to do that and to reassemble it. I certainly cant do it on my own if he is no longer able to, with my help. So consider the future. I have seen adverts for ones that look simple, but are they?

Daisymae Thu 19-May-22 09:06:56

I would go to a mobility shop and try one out. My DH had a luggie but it had 3 wheels so proved to be unstable. We have a small one scooter now, plus hoist in the car. Did look at the folding ones but thought that they were a bit cumbersome. Having said that I would not really recommend the one we have either as it's too lightweight. Sorry that's not much help, it's a bit of a challenge.

Cabbie21 Thu 19-May-22 09:23:04

Yes, weight and stability are considerations. DH’s is a four wheeler but he says he is often afraid it will tip over.