Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cramp

(20 Posts)
Stillthinkim18 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:09:38

Can anyone suggest a remedy for night cramp in ankles or shins?
I have had quinine tablets in the past but I know doctors are not keen on prescribing them.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Audi10 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:15:53

I get cramp two or three times week always in the same place same leg, wakes me up in early hours, I would love to know also, I had heard that tonic water can help, didn’t me.

Honeysuckleberries Sat 02-Jul-22 19:21:16

You need magnesium. I had dreadful cramps at night but since taking magnesium I have only had one.

crazyH Sat 02-Jul-22 19:26:36

A glass of Indian tonic water at bedtime. And continue for a couple of months even if the cramps have disappeared. I swear by it. I still have half a glass before bedtime. Good luck !
If this fails, see your GP.

annodomini Sat 02-Jul-22 19:33:49

I used to have very painful cramps in my feet and calves every night. Nothing seemed to work until I acquired some fluffy bed-socks. Since then, no more cramps! I wouldn't have tried it if I hadn't been desperate and really don't understand why the socks worked. I've had mostly undisturbed sleep for years now.

Oldbat1 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:39:51

Check if the tonic water has quinine in as seemingly good for cramp. I think it is Schw…..s. Husband takes it.

midgey Sat 02-Jul-22 20:08:49

I used to have bad cramp but I have found that ensuring I have drunk at least two glasses of water on top of other drinks has all but cured it.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jul-22 20:09:55

I get it badly in such a peculiar place the side of my legs
I ve only had it in feet of thighs or calves previously, but this last year or so it’s been the sides of my lower legs which seem so weird

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Jul-22 20:21:57

Honeysuckleberries

You need magnesium. I had dreadful cramps at night but since taking magnesium I have only had one.

Yes, try magnesium, it's a muscle relaxant.

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jul-22 20:30:27

Magnésium spray, my husband uses it when necessary and recommended to another person on GN who was very grateful.

shysal Sat 02-Jul-22 20:34:35

A friend swears that a bar of soap in the bed prevents cramp. I have also heard that a cork works too. Probably old wives tails but worth a try.

Thoro Sat 02-Jul-22 20:34:45

I used to get ankle foot and calf cramps at night. I found drinking wine made them much worse!
I now take magnesium tablets and also stretch my calf muscles before bed which helps greatly (that and stopping drinking!)

SpringyChicken Sat 02-Jul-22 20:58:05

Get yourself a microwaveable wheat bag, heat it for a minute or so on high. It gives immediate relief for shin cramp. Standing on tiptoes and walking about usually cures foot cramp for me.

Nanatoone Sat 02-Jul-22 21:06:17

Foot cramp gets me whilst driving, it’s truly horrible. I have to wear loose shoes and not think about it, which oddly makes it worse. I assumed it was due to my arthritis but don’t really know.

Shelflife Sat 02-Jul-22 21:09:45

I get cramp in my feet when in bed. I follow my Mum's advice - put your foot on something cold, floor tiles or a cold window ledge Or a washing up bowl with a shallow amount of cold water in - pop your foot into it. The cold works every time for me.

Grannybags Sat 02-Jul-22 21:47:31

Many years ago my son went to the doctor about his cramp and was told to eat a packet of salted crisps a day - seemed to work for him!

BigBertha1 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:17:37

I get do it cramp while driving but I have had surgery on my feet. Changing I am automatic soon. Also calf cramp in my semi paralysed leg (agree slipped disc) but most painfully of all thigh cramp. Don't know what I should do.

Nanatoone Sat 02-Jul-22 22:37:25

BigBertha that sounds horrible. I haven’t had this for a few months and I’ve been eating crisps in the evening. I might have put on a fair bit of weight though. One thing sorted (ish) and another has got worse. I have an automatic for that reason, but recently have a frozen shoulder making driving very difficult. Sigh.

sukie Sun 03-Jul-22 01:08:49

Magnesium tablets in the evening have definitely helped me.

Esmay Sun 03-Jul-22 08:46:15

Hi ,

Has your GP refused to prescribe Quinine to you ?
It can interact with Digoxin and Warfarin .
Tonic water helps , but it has a far less content of Quinine than the tablets . I think about one sixth of the content .
Fever Few tonic water has the highest concentration .
Gentle exercising of your legs , wearing socks or better still a stocking on the affected leg will help .

In hot weather salty things like crisps help retain fluids ,but it's not always recommended if you are hypertensive .

Other gransnetters are recommending Magnesium tablets and it's a very good idea to try these first .

If not then ask for an appointment with your GP .
And good luck with that !
I'd be tempted to drink tonic water with a glug of gin in it !