Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New neighbours garden project

(42 Posts)
PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 16:31:58

I live on a short road where we all pretty much know one another although some have lived here a great deal longer than I have. The house next door has recently changed hands and the previous owner always had a pristine garden, front and back. The new couple are planning on creating off-street parking as they have two cars which means most of the front garden will be removed. Personally, I don't blame them as the road is narrow and the drives are short.

I was on my own garden this morning when two neighbours approached me and instructed me that I would have to speak to Mr & Mrs XXX as "It is not right that they should dig up old Mr YYY's garden". I pointed out that it is Mr & Mrs XXX's house now and actually they can do what they like with their garden.

These two neighbours were highly offended and furious with me because I refused to get involved, I politely told them that it is not really anyone else's business, whether we like it or not.

I now discover that these two neighbours have launched a petition to present to Mr & Mrs XXX complaining about their plans to create hard-standing for their car.

The new couple are lovely, they both work full time at very demanding jobs but they always make time to have a chat when not on duty and they have helped us in recent weeks when we were loading the car to do a tip run.

They had already told me about their plans to change the front garden and I do think it is a good idea.
Would you give them the heads-up about the petition?

Jaylou Tue 02-Aug-22 16:37:47

I wouldn't give them an accurate heads-up such as a name, but maybe drop a hint along the lines of "I've heard moans from other residents about your plans, just thought I would let you know". If you name and shame this could get around and alienate the other residents who would see you as a snitch.

Let your new neighbours know you are on their side, so they are aware you are not part of the witch-hunt.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-22 16:38:28

I don't think it would make any difference if you did give them 'the heads-up' PollyDolly.

As you've told the two neighbours who approached you, the new owners are entitled to do as they wish with their own property. The only thing a petition will do is cause ill feeling and the new owners will no doubt go ahead with their plans anyway.

I'd say nothing. Presumably you wont be signing the petition so I would stay out of it.

Liz46 Tue 02-Aug-22 16:38:48

I think that I wouldn't say anything for the moment as the petition may not be popular as surely the other neighbours will realise that the new couple can do what they want with their own garden!

Prentice Tue 02-Aug-22 16:40:38

Jaylou

I wouldn't give them an accurate heads-up such as a name, but maybe drop a hint along the lines of "I've heard moans from other residents about your plans, just thought I would let you know". If you name and shame this could get around and alienate the other residents who would see you as a snitch.

Let your new neighbours know you are on their side, so they are aware you are not part of the witch-hunt.

this is exactly what I would do too.

PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 16:56:27

Liz46

I think that I wouldn't say anything for the moment as the petition may not be popular as surely the other neighbours will realise that the new couple can do what they want with their own garden!

No, I certainly won't be signing it and actually, the two neighbours this morning have a reputation for being busy bodies, far too concerned with other people rather than minding their own business.

There's also one or two people who won't think twice about telling them to shoved the petition where the sun doesn't shine!

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-22 17:08:40

I would have nothing to do with it and offer new neighbours my support, saying that the house and garden are their's to do what they like with. I would rather have really good relations with the new neighbours, they live right next door, than go along with people living elsewhere on the road.

You never know when having your next door neighbours on your side will be to your advantage.

rafichagran Tue 02-Aug-22 17:10:45

I would not sign it, the neighbours can do what they like with their garden.
I donr think anything will come of it, as you say just two busy bodies.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Aug-22 17:21:07

If they are friendly people next door I would definitely give them a heads up it’s very unfair if people gang up on a new neighbour The cheek of it it’s none of their business what they do with their garden and pathway
Honestly some people must think they own the whole village

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Aug-22 17:26:27

I would do the same Prentice and Jaylou and say there's tittle-tattle on the street. I might not say a petition as that is SO hostile.
Good luck.
And how nice to have helpful friendly neighbours.

Nell8 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:36:47

Hopefully more reasonable neighbours will see that the hardstanding should alleviate some pressure on street parking.

Caleo Tue 02-Aug-22 17:38:15

I was sorry when my previously untidy neighbour cut down his overgrown privet hedge, but I can do nothing about what he decides to do in his own garden as long as it's legal.

I trust your nice new neighbours will be able to rise above the petty petition.

BTW why did they object anyway?

Grandmabatty Tue 02-Aug-22 17:52:00

I wouldn't tell the nice neighbours as nothing might come of the petition and they would have been worried unnecessarily.

Norah Tue 02-Aug-22 17:55:11

YES

Visgir1 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:55:35

Grandmabatty

I wouldn't tell the nice neighbours as nothing might come of the petition and they would have been worried unnecessarily.

Agree.. If they don't need planning permission shouldn't be a problem.
Some people are so petty minded!

Elegran Tue 02-Aug-22 18:38:06

What I would try to get into the conversation with your nice new neighbours is that every hard standing adds to the amount of rainwater that doesn't soak into the ground, but pools or runs off, ultimately into the flood drains which can get overwhelmed. There are paviours available that let water through, which they might consider. There are also grass paviours that make a lattice which can have grass sown in the spaces but are still robust enough to drive a car over - they would look a bit like a cross between a lawn and a driveway, which might pacify the busybodies.

Baggs Tue 02-Aug-22 20:40:04

I think some councils insist on hard-standing that lets rainwater soak in where it falls. Might be worth checking what your council by-laws say, pollydolly, and maybe letting the neighbours know if there are any restrictions.

They might already know of such, especially if they haven't moved from far away.

25Avalon Tue 02-Aug-22 22:19:28

They will need planning permission to drop the kerb. They should not need any other permission provided they use permeable materials. Otherwise they cannot be prevented from chancing their garden into parking so it is not only futile to start a petition but will just cause bad feeling. It’s never going to be the same as the previous owners. They could let weeds grow sky high. Hard standing will be much neater.You are right to keep out of it PollyDolly.

25Avalon Tue 02-Aug-22 22:19:59

Changing not chancing

PollyDolly Wed 03-Aug-22 07:58:29

Caleo, they are objecting because, and I quote, "Mr YYY and his wife always kept the garden beautiful and they simply CANNOT be allowed to dig it up"! To which I said the new people owned the house now and could do as they liked, I also. pointed out that it would enable them to park their car off the road.

The new neighbours do tend the garden at present but their main concern is to be able to have both vehicles off the road, quite a few house owners have done this over the years, including myself. The new neighbours are leaving the boundary border alone, there is ample space otherwise, so there will still be a small garden of sorts.

It was the expectation that I should speak to the new neighbours that riled me most and when I discovered there was to be a petition I was furious. I want no part in it as it is so unfair.

One of the new neighbours is at home today and I am going to invite her in for a coffee and explain what's going on, I need them both to know that I have no part in all this. Seemingly, these two vindictive people have a past history for mischief making as they don't like change and are of the mentality that they've lived here the longest and we should all do their bidding.

Caleo Wed 03-Aug-22 08:25:04

Thanks PollyDolly. People's unspoken desires interest me.
I too like my neighbourhood to be kept nice to look at, and the petitioners have their hearts in the right place in this regard. However people have different ideas of what looks beautiful, which the petitioners may be unaware of.

And of course the owner has rights within the law. Elegran's and Avalon's info about drainage issues is generally interesting from the point of view of saving and disposal of water, and I am glad to know it.

Chardy Wed 03-Aug-22 08:43:10

Your new neighbours will need to apply for a dropped kerb. Does anyone who's done that know if the busybodies can object to the Council?

PollyDolly Wed 03-Aug-22 10:49:01

Chardy, there is already a dropped kerb in place which had been extended from the original one that serves the existing driveway. OH and I think it must have been done many years ago. The new neighbours will only need to remove the front fencing to give access.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Aug-22 11:46:42

Interesting information about paviours, Elegran. Thank you. Someone I know may have to have part of her front garden made into a parking area, and she will be keen to use something which allows drainage, so I will pass that on to her.

AreWeThereYet Wed 03-Aug-22 14:45:34

I think it's standard everywhere now that any paving has to be permeable - we had resin put down on our drive a few years ago and had a long discussion with the people who did it. Of course that depends on whether the people who do the work are reputable and tell their customers what is needed. Many of the drives near us are being slowly changed to block paving with new drainage put in on sloping drives. They were all tarmac when we moved in.