Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

machine washing bathroom towels

(69 Posts)
pollyolly Mon 08-Aug-22 15:38:25

My towels are no longer fluffy (don't use a dryer) I often see suggestions that using white vinegar in the last rinse instead of fabric softener will make them so. No luck. I have tried washing them with varying powders, liquids, soap flakes, still no luck. Tried extra rinse Still not fluffy. I always line dry, preferably on a windy day. Please can anyone help?

Hithere Mon 08-Aug-22 15:39:32

How old are they?

pollyolly Mon 08-Aug-22 15:40:20

Some quite newish, some older.

Chestnut Mon 08-Aug-22 15:44:59

Why do you want fluffy towels? I find scratchy old towels much better, the soft fluffy ones are not so good at drying.

If you have hard water you might not be able to get them soft and fluffy because the water hardness is relevant.

PinkCosmos Mon 08-Aug-22 15:50:24

I agree with Chestnut. I am trying to make my towels less fluffy and more absorbent.

White vinegar is for getting rid of the conditioner which makes the towels more fluffy but less absorbent - or so I thought.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Aug-22 15:52:50

I can’t bear hard towels!

Hithere Mon 08-Aug-22 15:53:06

Maybe the older ones can no longer be that fluffy?

Could water have changed in your area?

AreWeThereYet Mon 08-Aug-22 15:58:13

It may be the amount of washing liquid you are using. If it's not rinsed out properly (and it may not be if you are using too much) it will sit in the material. You could try putting the towels through the machine using something like washing soda (softens the water) on it's own to wash and vinegar as the rinse to see if it removes any ingrained soap. If you see suds you know that's at least part of the problem.

JackyB Mon 08-Aug-22 16:20:56

My mother always hung towels by the hems, folded in two, like a sort of bag. That way they rubbed together and were a little softer. Always give them a good flap before and after hanging them out, to loosen the fibres.

This will not solve your problem, bit it might help a bit.

Otherwise, time to treat yourself to new deep pile towels maybe?

Baggytrazzas Mon 08-Aug-22 16:30:08

I can never get line dried towels to stay soft no matter how old or new they are or how windy it is. The only thing I use my tumble drier for now is towels so that they remain soft.

If you have no access to a tumble drier, steam ironing sometimes make them softer. And fabric conditioner does help a bit although it reduces absorbency if too much is used.

Nannagarra Mon 08-Aug-22 16:33:46

I agree with all the advice above and can add that vigorously rubbing dry bath towels does soften them. It’s quite a work out though.
To achieve fluffiness, just before my towels are completely dry, I put them in the dryer. It’s the only time I use it.

Elizabeth27 Mon 08-Aug-22 16:36:02

I have line dried since the cost of electricity went up and find they dry harder which I don't like, not enough to start using the dryer though.

Calendargirl Mon 08-Aug-22 17:19:39

I don’t have a tumble drier, always dry the towels outdoors.

My towels are always hard, but it doesn’t bother me or DH.

Softness doesn’t necessarily equate with how well they dry you.

FlexibleFriend Mon 08-Aug-22 17:38:52

My towels are always soft and fluffy and dry me very well. I don't use softener but do use soda crystals in the wash. I won't stop using my tumble dryer though as I can't bear the Chinese laundry look.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-Aug-22 17:44:04

What is that?

Cabbie21 Mon 08-Aug-22 17:49:44

I don’t have a tumble drier and usually dry my towels indoors. Some are harder than others. I find they soften a bit once you use them. I quite like them hard but DH doesn’t. I have bought him some bamboo towels which are beautifully soft. I wash them separately, without any sort of soap or conditioner or white vinegar and they have stayed soft. I can recommend them.

Oldnproud Mon 08-Aug-22 18:03:13

Who really needs soft fluffy towels?

As for flannels, DH's could be folded in half and stand on their own!
Having just given it some ( though not a lot of ) thought, does it really matter? Once they are wet, is there really any big difference?

AreWeThereYet Mon 08-Aug-22 18:24:19

I'm with Chestnut - a bit of rough is sometimes needed. Soft and fluffy is okay for a cuddle but not for a good all over rub down. Although I don't want a towel that takes the skin off my back.

Maggiemaybe Mon 08-Aug-22 18:28:13

I’m another who prefers a hard, exfoliating towel. smile We were in a hotel recently where the towels were so thick and fluffy it took ages to get dry after a shower, though this was a plus point to some Tripadvisor reviewers. I appreciate I’m not in the majority here, so do give the towels a quick tumble dry if we’re expecting guests. smile

Blondiescot Mon 08-Aug-22 18:36:17

Give me soft fluffy towels any day of the week! Ours are always soft and fluffy but dry you very well.

Baggs Mon 08-Aug-22 18:40:25

Chestnut

Why do you want fluffy towels? I find scratchy old towels much better, the soft fluffy ones are not so good at drying.

If you have hard water you might not be able to get them soft and fluffy because the water hardness is relevant.

Yep, a good bit of scrub in a towel is great, I always think. They soften up after the first use.

PollyDolly Mon 08-Aug-22 18:41:31

PinkCosmos

I agree with Chestnut. I am trying to make my towels less fluffy and more absorbent.

White vinegar is for getting rid of the conditioner which makes the towels more fluffy but less absorbent - or so I thought.

Yes, you are correct but white vinegar also breaks down soap residue often found in face cloths which makes them go sour quickly.

I don't like like soft fluffy towels though - just use non-bio wash pods, splash of white vinegar and line dry for as long as possible. Lovely rough towels and super absorbent.

SueDonim Mon 08-Aug-22 18:58:24

I’m thinking along the same lines as Arewethereyet and maybe you’ve used too much power/liquid. Try washing them without any laundry product and on a hotter than usual wash.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:32:35

I do have a tumble dryer and give towels a 10 minute bashing in there before hanging them on the line.

It seems to take the hardness off them without making them too soft and fluffy.

Jaxjacky Mon 08-Aug-22 20:08:17

I’ve never had a dryer and live in a hard water area, so it’s what I’m used to, as others have said, they dry you well which is the main point.