Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

new start at 76, in Thame?

(23 Posts)
OxfordGran Mon 12-Sep-22 13:52:32

I’m hoping this is the correct thread for this post -
newly single, all battles behind me now, wrenched myself free, feeling hopeful,
offered a settlement to enable him staying in the house, so completely new start for me

I looked at property in Thame, an attractive market town, in Oxfordshire, a bit isolated, although bus to Oxford regularly, a U3A, I did my research, scoured Waitrose for bargains, checked out the library, shops, church, excellent book shop, kebab van! all fine but would appreciate advice from anyone
local as to what its really like to live.
I will not have a car anymore but I’m a good walker, as
long as I can get a train to London or Oxford occasionally
It’s appealing, moving into a property no one else has lived in, I’m excited/nervous,

One of the ‘conditions’ of the settlement was that I take only personal belongings,
no furniture, bedding, kitchenware, (which suits me fine), so busy me in IKEA!

A good friend advised, beware the slump, which can happen after moving in, all excited, new flat, visitors, family, then when visitors depart, you on your own, slump. Be ready for this she advises, a natural reaction, also weeping. I’m forewarned
and to
perhaps feeling lonesome occasionally.

I paid my dues, I lay on my bed, now its time for a new one, double, cos women live in hope.
I am obliged to anyone who can offer advice before I make this decision, its like shedding a skin.
My main concern is that living and working for so long in a busy fast moving diverse city to a small town, whilst I do not expect it to be idyllic, could in itself be socially isolating. See how anxious I am now? TIA

AGAA4 Mon 12-Sep-22 15:48:22

Have you thought of renting to see how you feel about a new place? If you find it's not for you it will be easier to move back.
Good luck. Your move sounds like an exciting new start.

Grammaretto Mon 12-Sep-22 15:56:49

Go for it! I wish you all the best. I know nothing about Thame but I love living in a small town with easy access to a city.

crazyH Mon 12-Sep-22 16:08:24

Wish I had the guts to move away to a new town after my divorce. Start afresh. I was only 50 when we separated. Following settlement, I bought a house just 3 miles away. Too close for comfort.
Best of luck in your new, exciting move.!

avitorl Mon 12-Sep-22 16:10:45

Best wishes for your future. I can't comment on Thame but being in a fairly busy place should help you to find activities to do.
Also you may not feel any sadness about leaving your marriage.It can come as a great relief ,giving a sense of freedom and happiness.I felt like I found myself again when I divorced my ex in my 60's.

Sandy73 Mon 12-Sep-22 16:17:13

Why have you chosen Thame? Would it not be better to be near friends / family?

shysal Mon 12-Sep-22 17:35:08

I love Thame, in fact my DD1 moves there tomorrow! I am sure you will be happy there, it has a lot to offer, and Oxford is a short bus ride away.

Sago Mon 12-Sep-22 17:43:25

I used to live near Thame and still a frequent visitor as we have friends nearby.
It has everything except a train station but Haddenham is nearby with good links to London.
Thame is as good a place as any to make a new start, it’s certainly somewhere I would consider.
I do think renting first maybe a good idea.
Good luck.

Sago Mon 12-Sep-22 17:45:19

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqgKrX2Y_6AhVsSkEAHantBgAQFnoECAUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ramblers.org.uk%2Fthame-wheatley&usg=AOvVaw27NhXaO8-R4y-jvj-HChVS

Here’s a walking group that may be of interest.

Shelflife Mon 12-Sep-22 18:17:08

Well done you ! Such a brave thing to do , wherever you live I wish you happiness and good fortune.

Oldnproud Mon 12-Sep-22 18:26:39

All I can say, as someone who has stayed on a tiny campsite near Thame several times, is that it has a lot to offer, especially with its bus links to Oxford. I could happily live there.

OxfordGran Mon 12-Sep-22 20:55:41

Thank you very much for all your kind and thoughtful comments. I’m returning tomorrow, Market Day, meeting my friend, having a second look at potential new home, feeling hopeful, liberated, not sad at all.
I hope I will be fine, as any of you considering going solo after so many years will be fearful, but, where control, mental or indeed physical abuse,

be in control of your finances
move good jewellery to your daughter/s
or trusted friend
box up precious heirlooms the same
cover your tracks online

sort out your paperwork, bankstatements, DWP, etc
have a grab bag ready, dont hide it, just pretend its holiday stuff you havnt got round to unpacking or winter clothes stores,
passport, cash, documents, photos, diaries! and dont tuck this under a mattress its the first place anyone looks
if you need to hide anything use the. very bottom of the laundry. basket, he will never go inthere
tell no one of your intention
this is all advice I followed from
a good friend who we all thought
was happily married.
good luck ladies wed or not, Grans rule

Sago Mon 12-Sep-22 23:38:52

OxfordGran With such a positive attitude I’m sure you will be fine!

Chocgran Fri 23-Sep-22 20:45:35

Hi OxfordGran
How did it go?
Thame is a fantastic place ( and I'm quite hard to please! ?)

25Avalon Fri 23-Sep-22 20:55:42

I’ve driven through many times over the years and always been attracted to it. It can get a bit busy on a Saturday.

Nannarose Sat 24-Sep-22 08:42:00

OxfordGran - for awhile I live fairly near and visited often. It always struck me as a lovely town. It seems very expensive, but assuming you are currently in Oxford, and want to stay in the area then you have taken that into account.
You are on the edge of the beautiful Chilterns, with lovely walking. There used to be a reasonable bus service to get you out towards Tring & Ivinghoe.
You mention moving into a property no-one has lived in before. I love new builds, which in my experience are easier to heat and care for than older properties, and will suit your IKEA spree.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Luckygirl3 Sat 24-Sep-22 09:51:44

I am in a new build now, following being widowed. The advantages are very clear to me - low maintenance, because things have not had time to wear out. Very efficient heating system, and heat and sound proofing are excellent - I am semi-detached and I do not hear neighbours at all, nor they me - except in the garden of course.

It has taken me a while to sort the garden which started out as bare lawn (turf on rubble!).

I wish you lots of good luck with your move and new start.

OxfordGran Thu 29-Sep-22 11:34:21

good morning Ladies !
thank you for your good wishes and positivity, I feel as though you have been most encouraging.

Moving in this weekend !!!
exciting isn’t it, although slightly daunting, not knowing anyone.
Walking past, people greet others which is good, encouraging, in a slightly old fashioned town, rapidly expanding.

After the initial rush of physically moving, the stress, family, adjustments, sounds, I’m told there will be a period of a slump, for reflection, so I’m prepared for that, I hope.

With a U3A, Church, W.I., volunteering, walking groups, Local History groups and excellent Oxfam Bookshop there will be no excuse or reason to sit home wondering if I have done the right thing.

Yes a new build, hoping it will be soundproofed and hermetically sealed, warm, cosy, safe.

I won’t have a garden although there is landscaping yet to mature, but a fairly green town, yes a bus ride to Oxford, 45 mins, bus to Haddenham station for trains to Marylebone.

It is an expensive town, affluent, prosperous, smart cars, no crime (touch wood quickly) main shopping is Waitrose, I will miss Aldi/Lidl, hoping to have lower utility bills, everything metered, I don’t take anything for granted at my age, recalling Bette Davis’s maxim, or as DD assures me, Mum you will be fine, remember, “Your vibe attracts your Tribe” so we shall see.

Kim19 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:36:22

How exciting! I wish you well indeed. ?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Sep-22 12:03:48

That was remarkably quick conveyancing!

OxfordGran Thu 29-Sep-22 13:57:15

thank you Kim!

OxfordGran Thu 29-Sep-22 13:57:37

ok

NotAGran55 Thu 29-Sep-22 15:27:40

Thame is a lovely town Oxfordgran I hope you will be very happy there. I love your enthusiasm and positivity!