Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Morning sickness

(87 Posts)
1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 25-Jan-23 18:01:43

What food/drink did you go off when you were pregnant?
For several months I could only manage plain cream crackers,farleys rusks,without milk and opal fruits.Chinese takeaway was banned and although I love my tea normally,I couldn't stand it or coffee.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-Jan-23 18:11:30

I was so lucky not to suffer. It must be awful.

watermeadow Wed 25-Jan-23 18:12:23

One of the first signs of pregnancy for me was going off coffee, which I normally love. My sense of smell also went mad and the smell of sheepskin mittens and a waxed jacket made me feel sick.
As for “morning” sickness, I was sick all day every day for up to 6 months. It was always worst in the evenings.

Fleurpepper Wed 25-Jan-23 18:17:53

Never ever a problem for me. How does a growing baby gets the sustenance it needs?

Acupressure points, by hand or via travel sickness bracelets can really help. As was shown with several young friends I helped recently.

MrsKen33 Wed 25-Jan-23 18:34:15

Everything affected me with my first child. I was constantly sick. Once on the top deck of a bus. I was mortified.Sick all through labour also. Fine with my second though.

FlexibleFriend Wed 25-Jan-23 18:35:13

Luckily I never had a single moment of morning sickness, fit as a flea throughout.

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-23 18:35:56

With my first pregnancy I suffered from morning sickness. 24/7 almost from start to finish. I went off everything, but especially onions. If I ate one mouthful more than I wanted I was sick.

I learned to walk slowly,never rush and I ate a lot of ginger biscuits.

I put on less than a stone over the pregnancy and a week after I gave birth to my bouncing 9lb son, I weighed a stone less than I had at the start of my pregnancy. Best and most successful diet I have ever been on.

Second child, it was nowhere as bad and followed usual rules.

MiniMoon Wed 25-Jan-23 19:04:43

I couldn't drink coffee, the smell made me nauseous. I could manage tea but without milk.
I don't remember going off food, but I did have cravings. Mostly for raw fruit and vegetables.

Skye17 Wed 25-Jan-23 19:14:05

All green vegetables except growing cress, coffee and chocolate sad I was so happy to eat chocolate again after having my second baby.

GagaJo Wed 25-Jan-23 19:17:46

DD had hyperemesis gravidarum all the way through her pregnancy, vomiting for the last time after giving birth. She vomited between 5 & 8 (sometimes more) times a day. Lost loads of weight. Was hospitalised with suspected organ failure. Baby was big and healthy and remains robust and vigorous.

ParlorGames Wed 25-Jan-23 19:18:30

Kidney .........! I used to love steak and kidney pie but when I became pregnant with my first baby the very smell of it turned my stomach. Oddly enough, I still cannot eat it........baby is now nearly 45!

sodapop Wed 25-Jan-23 19:21:38

Tea and I can't drink it to this day. My youngest daughter is 47 !!

NotAGran55 Wed 25-Jan-23 19:31:35

I had hyperemesis gravidarum during both of my pregnancies. The vomiting started before the missed period and continued day and night for the full term, including on the operating table during the c sections.
I vomited everyday, up to 16 times some days. Numerous hospitalisations to be rehydrated. Even the smell of steam made me vomit along with turning over in bed. It was relentless, the sickness and nausea never abated.
The babies took every ounce of my energy and nutrition and left me severely depleted. Weight loss, bleeding gums, split tongue, hair loss.
I ate tinned pears as a sacrificial food as they returned easily and were the most ‘pleasant’ on the way back.
They tried injections in the hospital and suppositories at home to relieve the symptoms but nothing worked .
The minute the babies were delivered the symptoms stopped, it was incredible.
I wouldn’t wish HG on my worst enemy.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 25-Jan-23 19:38:57

NotAGran55, oh no,I feel so sorry for you.It sounds worse than Princess K had. Someone told me the worse the sickness the healthier the baby!! All I say now is "bear up, it's better than bearing down" !!

rockgran Wed 25-Jan-23 19:41:01

I realised I was pregnant when I tried to make turkey stock out of the carcass. The smell made me sick! Later I used to sit at the other end of the house and wait for a slice of toast which I could eat if I didn't smell it. When I felt really sick I could eat fried onions. Weird! I later got a taste for Mars Bars.

NotAGran55 Wed 25-Jan-23 19:47:27

Thank you 1987H2001M2002Inanny. Kate Middleton was back out and about blooming after the first trimester, so probably only had classic ‘morning sickness’

Norah Wed 25-Jan-23 19:49:47

I didn't go off anything, however I had to lay still until I'd finished a glass of warm milk. Rest of the day was easy.

ginny Wed 25-Jan-23 19:57:51

I only had morning sickness with my third daughter but I think it was mainly because I rushed about to get 6 yr old to school and 3 year old to pre school. Fine after an hour or so.
With all three though I couldn’t eat several things as they tasted of metal. Also all three times I had a passion for juicy oranges.

SachaMac Wed 25-Jan-23 20:05:12

My first pregnancy wasn’t too bad, I went off coffee and had a little nausea. The second time I suffered, I was violently sick for weeks, difficult when trying to look after and a one year old. The worse triggers were anything milky & the smell of food frying, especially burgers. Even the McDonalds advert made me heave. I ate a lot of toast, rich tea & ginger biscuits.
My third pregnancy was a breeze, I went off coffee in the early weeks but wasn’t sick at all. My eldest daughter was bad with both her pregnancies but worse with the second. She was quite poorly and lost so much weight, she ended up on special medication from the GP to try and help. I feel for anyone who suffers HG.
I still go straight off coffee when I get a migraine, even before it’s really kicked in & I can’t face coffee for a couple of days.

pinkprincess Wed 25-Jan-23 20:10:37

During both o my pregnancies I wet off eggs, in any shape or form.I just had to look at one and begin to heave or gag.To this day I cannot eat a boiled or fried egg, although I can tolerate them scrambled or omelette. My two sons are now 53 and 50 and neither of them eat eggs, even as babies they would either vomit them back or push them the plate.
I had terrible all day sickness the first time,I even had to get out of buses and cars to be sick, went on for the first five months.The second time I was never sick at all, except at the sight of an egg!

pinkprincess Wed 25-Jan-23 20:11:43

Please excuse typos, it has been a long day.

NotAGran55 Wed 25-Jan-23 20:15:12

The washing machine repair man knew I was pregnant with my second before before my husband did!
I opened the door to welcome him and the smell of cigarettes on him was it …🤢
I waved him into the kitchen and darted into the downstairs cloakroom.

Deedaa Wed 25-Jan-23 20:16:16

I was never sick with either of my pregnancies but I did go off tea. It just tasted horrible which always happens if I've got any sort of illness too. I didn't like coffee in those days so I was left with nothing Hot to drink at all. The first cup of tea I was given after giving birth was just lovely.

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 25-Jan-23 20:17:53

GagaJo

DD had hyperemesis gravidarum all the way through her pregnancy, vomiting for the last time after giving birth. She vomited between 5 & 8 (sometimes more) times a day. Lost loads of weight. Was hospitalised with suspected organ failure. Baby was big and healthy and remains robust and vigorous.

I had hyperemesis during both pregnancies, having to be hospitalised and re-hydrated many times. During the second, I averaged 15 vomits a day. I would eat in the hope that it would stay down, go off and… and come back afterwards and finish the meal. I survived on angel delight. But I delivered both swiftly - I didn’t think it really hurt having my daughter, just a job needing a bit of welly. Both are healthy, fit, clever adults.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 25-Jan-23 20:49:16

Yep, coffee has never been the same since my first pregnancy. He's nearly 46...