Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you do you handle a situation like this?

(24 Posts)
Yammy Sun 29-Jan-23 11:23:07

I was asked for tea with others, expecting a cup of tea or coffee with some biscuits. It was very formal with china and cakes that must have taken ages to bake.
Every conversation was butted into with superior knowledge,, name dropping and general bossiness.
Last night we watched "Tea with Mussolini ", and the Maggie Smith character was just what I had encountered.
I have always found the relationship difficult, how do I politely keep out of what might develop? DH says just say no , give no explanation just it is inconvenient. I feel as if I have been through a mangle backwards.
I should add I have been in this situation before and got roped into volunteering for Children's parties and Theatre outings, Buffet suppers you name it. sad

Aveline Sun 29-Jan-23 11:56:54

You don't have to go neither do you have to put up with it. Go if you want to but learn to answer back, interrupt interruptions with, 'As I was saying...' etc.

Smileless2012 Sun 29-Jan-23 12:04:02

Your DH's right Yammy, just say you can't go or help out. You don't have to say why and sometimes it's best not to elaborate.

sandelf Sun 29-Jan-23 12:07:15

As the others say - also, if you do agree to another of these tell the host you have to leave at a specific time. No reason. And STICK TO IT.

Yammy Sun 29-Jan-23 12:46:55

Thanks for all your help. I feel guilty but do not want to do it as it leads to other things.
I can be positive, even confrontational and argumentative on Gransnet and with relations but find it so hard with semi-strangers face to face or even on the phone. The idea of saying "As I was saying ", is a good one.

Yammy Sun 29-Jan-23 12:49:01

And to say I have to go at a certain time would really have come in handy.

mumofmadboys Sun 29-Jan-23 13:21:49

Just keep quiet and enjoy the food!!

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 13:25:16

I think your husband is right yammy, you need to say no!

LRavenscroft Sun 29-Jan-23 15:27:35

A lot depends on context. Is is a group of friends and just that? Is it a semi official/organised group i.e. art/walking or is it someone you have know forever and they are part of your life fabric? I would say to all three keep encounters, conversations to a minimum and if you really can't stand the group then make an excuse not to go i.e. that's when your husband wants to do your weekly shop. I always find that slipping politely out through the side door, so to speak, makes it non confrontational.

Aveline Sun 29-Jan-23 15:29:33

I once used 'Ive really got to go now' gambit and the lady I wanted to get away from questioned me closely as to why, what time my bus was due etc. I just looked at her and walked away. Some people!

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:10:02

mumofmadboys

Just keep quiet and enjoy the food!!

😃 good idea!

Are these people relatives or friends?
Who would you upset if you declined another invitation?
Do you have to reciprocate the invitation and get out your best china and bake for days?

Is it worth going just for the cakes?

AGAA4 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:22:46

Just don't go. It sounds like an ordeal. If you're asked say you can't go. You don't have to give an explanation as to why not.

Yammy Sun 29-Jan-23 16:24:21

I'm afraid it's not worth going for the sake of the cakes. It was a one off but I think it might be trying to set a group up.
Whenever you try to help or be friendly you get six other things to do. DH did not believe me until a few years ago,he nearly got swept into something he did not want to do. He is better than me at saying no.

Tizliz Sun 29-Jan-23 16:44:38

Makes me think of Mrs Bucket’s neighbour 😁😁

HowVeryDareYou Sun 29-Jan-23 16:48:13

Find some new friends, ones who are actually friendly.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:51:32

Tizliz

Makes me think of Mrs Bucket’s neighbour 😁😁

And it sounds as if Mrs Bucket was the hostess 😃

"You remember my sister, Violet, the one with the Mercedes, swimming pool and room for a pony?"

kircubbin2000 Sun 29-Jan-23 19:57:03

My nice neighbour ,who I havent seen for 9 months, has invited me again for afternoon tea. I feel mortified as this is the 3rd time but my house is too intidy to have het back! Should I just refuse do you think?

AussieGran59 Sun 29-Jan-23 21:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doodle Sun 29-Jan-23 23:59:09

kircubbin accept but ask if you can bring a cake to share.
Either that or invite her for tea at a local coffee shop.

LRavenscroft Mon 30-Jan-23 06:47:35

A lady at one of my local groups has taken a shine to my company (goodness knows why?!) and she keeps inviting me out for tea. The problem is she is so bossy and organises everything to within an inch of my life even what I say and do. Ever remember the Harry Enfield character 'You don't want to do it that way' . I am trying to off load her and think I will have to take my own advice about my husband wanting to do the weekly shop that day. I feel like a squeezed lemon when I leave her.

pascal30 Mon 30-Jan-23 10:43:30

LRavenscroft

A lady at one of my local groups has taken a shine to my company (goodness knows why?!) and she keeps inviting me out for tea. The problem is she is so bossy and organises everything to within an inch of my life even what I say and do. Ever remember the Harry Enfield character 'You don't want to do it that way' . I am trying to off load her and think I will have to take my own advice about my husband wanting to do the weekly shop that day. I feel like a squeezed lemon when I leave her.

unfortunately she'll find another day.. tricky one

Tizliz Mon 30-Jan-23 11:35:21

kircubbin2000

My nice neighbour ,who I havent seen for 9 months, has invited me again for afternoon tea. I feel mortified as this is the 3rd time but my house is too intidy to have het back! Should I just refuse do you think?

I have a friend who never asks me in but I love her company and am always pleased to see her - cake or not

Theexwife Mon 30-Jan-23 11:37:15

Just say no thank you, if they are the type of people you say then they will not care whether you accept the invitation or not.

Yammy Mon 30-Jan-23 12:03:05

LRavenscroft

That's exactly it Ravenscroft. I could have shut her up with a few choice sentences not swearing and put her in her place but I did not want to do it in front of the others. I think she knew this and was persistent. The others were muttering when she was out of the room and then the grand Mrs Overall entrance with the wobbly tea trolley. I would laugh if someone else told me. I just can't get the message over without being rude.
I really am just going to say no next time and keep away from any coffee mornings where she might be.