Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What car?

(26 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:16:03

I would like to ask those of you who struggle with mobility what car you find easiest to get into/ out of?
We may need to change cars in the coming months. Ours are both on the low side and it can be a struggle to get out. My daughter’s car is higher, a 4x4 and is too high to get in easily.

All suggestions welcome. Might even look at going electric, though they are still pricey.

Blossoming Mon 30-Jan-23 22:23:11

I had a Nissan Qashqai that was easy for me to get in and out. I don’t like very low cars and I need to be able to open the door quite wide.

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:24:21

I have a Nissan Juke which is very easy to get in and out of.

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-23 22:28:43

My last car was a Toyota Yaris which I found easy to get into and out of. My present car is a Kia Picanto which isn't quite so easy, but manageable.

Grannmarie Mon 30-Jan-23 22:31:06

I have a Honda Jazz which is a good height for getting in and out of. DH has a Volkswagen Scirocco which is lower and becoming tricky for us.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:35:37

My car is a Toyota CH-R . It’s described as a mid sized SUV and I find it easy to get into , not too low or too high. It’s a hybrid which means most of my town driving is done in electric mode so the car is quite economical to run . I love it .

Grannynannywanny Mon 30-Jan-23 22:38:27

I’ve had a Honda Jazz for the past 6 years. I find it it easily accessible with an ongoing back problem. It’s a little higher than average.

I recently called roadside assistance with a flat tyre. The AA man was chatting while he changed the wheel. He said he very rarely has a call out for a breakdown to a Honda Jazz. People tend to ask his advice when replacing their car and he said he always recommends the Honda Jazz as a good reliable car.

cornergran Tue 31-Jan-23 05:35:11

We bought a Hyundai Kona hybrid for ease of access. Ideal for both of us.

AussieGran59 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:46:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBertha1 Tue 31-Jan-23 06:26:59

We are very pleased with our Nissan Juke hybrid automatic on all counts but especially economy. Our fuel bill is £50 less per month than in our petrol driven Quashquai.

Ashcombe Tue 31-Jan-23 06:50:11

I have a Fiesta Zetec Ecoboost. It goes well despite being an automatic and is comfortable. I have arthritis (two replacement hips) but find it easy to get in and out from. Best news: only £30.00 p.a. Road Tax due to low emissions and nothing to pay in its first year!

It’s equally responsive around town and on long runs, including to and from France. Once it helped me battle with The Beast from the East on an epic 15 hour journey from Torquay to Portsmouth!!

fancythat Tue 31-Jan-23 06:53:44

Blossoming

I had a Nissan Qashqai that was easy for me to get in and out. I don’t like very low cars and I need to be able to open the door quite wide.

I was thinking I wouldnt have a clue with this thread.
But I realise Bolssoming is correct. I know someone as well with A Nissan Qashqai, and the elderly lady I know, gets in and out of this one, whereas she struggles with other cars.

Mamie Tue 31-Jan-23 06:56:18

We had a Peugeot 3008 which was very easy for DH who has arthritis. We now have an e2008 which is a bit lower but still pretty good.

BlueBalou Tue 31-Jan-23 06:56:34

I have a Ford Focus Active, it’s a bit higher than the regular Focus. It has a sunroof, a spare wheel and is lovely to drive.
There’s plenty of room in the back and the boot too.

Kim19 Tue 31-Jan-23 06:59:29

My Vauxhall Agila is wonderful for getting in and out of. It's an older model (as am I!) so not sure if they're still in production.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 31-Jan-23 07:04:04

I have a Honda Cross Star. A small SUV which of course means it is higher than average

I absolutely love driving it. It is automatic and a hybrid. Fuel costs approx £50 about every 5 weeks.

shysal Tue 31-Jan-23 08:48:58

Another Honda Jazz fan here!

Cabbie21 Tue 31-Jan-23 10:04:35

Brilliant responses! Thank you. Lots to look into here.

toscalily Tue 31-Jan-23 10:11:26

Had various car in the past but I am on my 2nd Honda Jazz, easy to get in and out of and brilliant for transporting larger things like sports equipment (or taking things to the tip). Practical, reliable & efficient.

Redhead56 Tue 31-Jan-23 10:38:34

I had hip replacement years ago and another crumbling hip on the other side. I cannot sit on low seats anywhere I have a Fiat 500X it’s ideal so easy to sit in and get out of with ease.

Jaxjacky Tue 31-Jan-23 10:57:56

I have a Skoda Karoq, used to have a Citroen Berlingo. It’s easy to get in and out of, I’ve used it to transport mostly older people in my role as a volunteer driver, many of them have commented how comfortable it is. It also has a good boot space for rollators, walkers etc.

Grannmarie Tue 31-Jan-23 11:00:25

I'm on my second Honda Jazz which is 10 years old now and never lets me down. If I have to replace it, I'll buy another Jazz.

Cabbie21 Wed 01-Feb-23 08:26:56

Lots of votes for the Honda Jazz, with Nissan in second place.

Thank you all for the replies. We both have Mazdas. We used to update ours regularly, about every three years when we were working, and we must have had over 20 Mazdas between us over many years. Japanese cars are normally very reliable.

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Feb-23 10:14:59

I had a Honda Jazz and hated it. They are very expensive to service, noisy on the motorway and a hard ride. I much prefer my Nissan Juke and it is slightly higher so easier to get in.

Quizzer Wed 01-Feb-23 11:27:40

We have a VW T-Cross. It’s a SUV version of the Polo. The seats are much higher off the ground than most small cars. I have no trouble getting in and out of it, unlike our previous car.
It has all the modern extras and is fun to drive and easy to park.
PS Not being paid for this ad!