Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which thread topics, in the main, do you start or contribute to, and which do you have little or no interest in?

(35 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 02-Feb-23 13:47:18

In the main, I start or contribute to:

Foodie
Walking & exercise
Health
Politics & News

I rarely contribute to:

Gardening
Baking
Relationships - unless the poster is a name I recognise

crazyH Thu 02-Feb-23 13:53:04

Occasionally:
Health
Relationships

GagaJo Thu 02-Feb-23 13:55:15

I like politics, news, chat, or any random thread that catches my attention.

No interest in games, gardening, pedantry and only very minimal interest in style and beauty.

Joseanne Thu 02-Feb-23 13:59:29

In the main:
Food
Home decor
TV, film, Art & Culture
Gardening & Animals
Royal Stuff
Education

Rarely contribute to:
Relationships
Politics
Health
Games

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Feb-23 14:12:19

Usually
Politics (of course😄)
Food
Gardening
TV art and culture
Animals

Vanishingly rarely
Relationships,
pedantry
Style and beauty
Royals
Games

MrsKen33 Thu 02-Feb-23 14:13:44

I like reading Relationships as I am interested in people, but don’t often contribute.
Never politics as that gets a bit too uncomfortable.
Hate the threads where the conversation gets down to just one or two arguing or patting each other’s backs.
Otherwise pretty random I would say.

Joseanne Thu 02-Feb-23 14:14:57

Oooh and definitely Travel

VB000 Thu 02-Feb-23 14:16:26

MrsKen33

I like reading Relationships as I am interested in people, but don’t often contribute.
Never politics as that gets a bit too uncomfortable.
Hate the threads where the conversation gets down to just one or two arguing or patting each other’s backs.
Otherwise pretty random I would say.

Yes most subjects, but avoid politics threads

Doodledog Thu 02-Feb-23 14:27:49

I use 'Active Topics' to view threads, so never know which forum something's in. It's the title that either grabs me or doesn't, rather than the forum.

I don't do games, and the odds are I don't post on gardening, as I know nothing about it, and I steer clear of RF threads as they get very heated and I'm not interested in the RF other than at a very surface level, but otherwise I flit about a lot. I post in politics, but in most other forums too, I think.

JackyB Thu 02-Feb-23 14:52:18

I like to read about

travel ( although I haven't travelled for at least 5 years now)
Food and cooking
Household gadgets, tips and tricks
Language - I do read pedants' corner but get fed up with threads after about the fifth post because they revert to the same old things every time.
Fun things to do with grandchildren.
I enjoy the joke threads, photo threads and cartoons.

In other words, inocuous, uncontroversial subjects which don't (as a rule) evolve into bunfights.

I avoid politics and don't bother with anything to do with pensions in the UK because it doesn't apply to me.

Sago Thu 02-Feb-23 14:57:27

I rarely respond to politics or games.
If posters I deem troublemakers have started or are dominating a thread I steer clear.

Theexwife Thu 02-Feb-23 15:53:23

I go to last hour and read new threads, I don't look at games, fantasy or estrangement threads.

LovelyCuppa Thu 02-Feb-23 16:11:38

Post across the boards as I go to the active ones not the separate topics. I steer clear of the ones where it becomes clear it’s just the same old cliques only interested in talking to each other.

busybeejay Thu 02-Feb-23 16:21:10

I also go to last hour and read new comments and threads but rarely comment myself.
Barbarax

fancythat Thu 02-Feb-23 16:23:29

Not been here long enough to have even come across all the topics so far, I shouldnt think.

Dont expect me to contribute to gardening though!

Doodledog Thu 02-Feb-23 16:32:51

LovelyCuppa

Post across the boards as I go to the active ones not the separate topics. I steer clear of the ones where it becomes clear it’s just the same old cliques only interested in talking to each other.

The same old cliques might prefer others to join in grin. It’s a losing battle when new voices say they won’t post because there are no new voices.

Calendargirl Thu 02-Feb-23 16:42:15

I always go through the Active threads.

I like Chat, News and Politics, TV, anything Royal.

Also look at Food, Health, Ask A Gran, AIBU.

Not very interested in Relationships, Games, and not Style, when others talk about some jacket they’ve bought recently, or how many pairs of ankle boots they own.

But I’ll look at anything interesting that catches my eye.

Not keen if certain individuals take over a thread, which does happen.

(Hope that’s not me!).

TerriBull Thu 02-Feb-23 16:51:07

Book threads, in particular, the 50 book challenge, well I would, I started it grin

Then all manner of random stuff, it could be anything if I feel I have something to contribute, what's in the news and then in no particular order, food, travel, the arts, culture, children, grandchildren, animals history, genealogy, the natural world. all are of interest. I steer clear of crafts or sewing definitely not my forte!.

I sometimes read through the comforting threads. Good Morning/Soops Kitchen. The contributors come across as mutually supportive and often give an interesting snapshot of their individual part of the world. Just good to know they're there.

Chestnut Thu 02-Feb-23 17:03:43

I'm another who checks out the 'Last Day' posts for anything new, rather than particular threads. I tend towards News & Politics (for news not politics)/TV Radio Film Arts/Genealogy & Memories/Chat/Ask a Gran, for some random topics really.

I'm unlike to be found on Food, Gardening, Sport and definitely NOT on Games because as I keep saying Games should not be in the forum because they are not a discussion! They should have their own tab at the top next to all the other tabs.

Farzanah Thu 02-Feb-23 17:04:35

Politics (mainly)
Health
TV, radio, film, arts
Anything that looks interesting that catches the eye
NOT
Games
Estrangement
Royal Family - too divisive

henetha Thu 02-Feb-23 18:15:19

I read down through the active threads and click on any which interest me.
I'm careful with politics as there are some fierce posters on those. I like games and general interest threads, and arts and entertainment and the countryside.

Dickens Thu 02-Feb-23 18:33:45

Like others, I look at the "Last Hour" posts.

News & Politics - I don't mind it]f it gets a little heated, that's the nature of Politics.

AIBU - often the dilemmas are interesting and ones I've faced.

GAMES - definitely not for me.

VioletSky Thu 02-Feb-23 18:47:45

I'm pretty open to any interesting thread title

I'm quite interested in relationships and estrangement because that's deeply painful and there are hopefully resolutions in many cases.

Politics I'll just dip a toe in occasionally lol

Threads related to feminism and equality in society I'm quite passionate about, especially those threads that want to take society backwards a few hard fought steps... no to that!

I only avoid the games threads completely... Just not my thing but lots of people do enjoy them

Nannagarra Thu 02-Feb-23 18:59:23

I avoid politics as I find the threads too heated. As I very seldom watch tv, I cannot contribute to that topic.
Good morning, food, relationships, genealogy, pedantry and games capture my interest.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Feb-23 20:10:13

Like others, I just check out the Last Hour threads and have a look at any that take my interest, whatever the forum. I don’t contribute as much as I used to, and avoid doing so where I can see that words are being twisted, and things are getting personal - life’s too short. I like to put my fourpennorth in if someone’s asking for advice, and I think I can help. I don’t do the “cosy”, daily threads - nothing against them, but I’m not a joiner. I do love a book thread though, and I’m still mourning the loss of the GN monthly Book Club, when they gave away free books for us to review.

I think I might spend more time on Mumsnet these days.