Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do people have to 'point' with their walking sticks?

(22 Posts)
ParlorGames Fri 26-May-23 17:01:41

I have been to the local hospital for a routine check-up today. When walking away from the clinics - there are several along one side of the main concourse - a man and a woman were having an intense conversation when the man suddenly raised his walking stick, waving it around to indicate where he though they should be going.

Unfortunately, another lady was walking past but just out of his line of vision and he hit her in the face with his stick. Myself and another couple checked on her, and they took her to A/E.

The man with the walking stick was extremely verbal and rude, blaming her for being in the wrong place! She wasn't even that close to him but his arm was outstretched as he waved his stick from side to side. Sadly, no one was close enough to stop him although the three of us could see what was going to happen but we couldn't make ourselves heard over his heated debate with his wife.

Why do people have to point with walking sticks?

ExDancer Fri 26-May-23 17:05:04

My husband does it and it drives me mad.

sodapop Fri 26-May-23 17:05:24

I think it's just an extension of their arm and they don't realise it's a problem.
Hope the lady was OK.

Shelflife Fri 26-May-23 18:16:42

I have seen this so often! They may not see it as a problem - but it is time they did!!

Baggs Fri 26-May-23 18:59:48

People don't have to and most people with walking sticks don't.

I will probably point at plants when I have a walking stick but since they are mostly on the ground it shouldn't be a problem for anyone else.

BlueBelle Fri 26-May-23 19:12:11

It because it’s on the end of the arm they would normally gesture with

Wyllow3 Fri 26-May-23 19:17:17

It was how he reacted to having hit someone that was the real problem!
(pity his wife....)

Foxygloves Fri 26-May-23 21:23:11

Why do people who are lucky enough not to need a stick - my late DH needed TWO to walk anywhere outside the house - have to be so intolerant of those depend on them?

lemsip Fri 26-May-23 21:45:45

people are not intolerant of of those who need walking sticks, they are intolerant of those users who use them as a pointer, which is rude!

welbeck Fri 26-May-23 22:29:37

Foxygloves

Why do people who are lucky enough not to need a stick - my late DH needed TWO to walk anywhere outside the house - have to be so intolerant of those depend on them?

what , you mean intolerant of being smacked in the face with one.
i think i;m pretty intolerant of that tbh.
this episode sounds like an example of toxic male behaviour, aggressive, dominant, with no sense of accountability.
namalt, of course...before anyone starts.
but it is rarely women who do this in a dangerous manner.
they tend to be more aware of other people.
some men are not, and don't care less.
they need to be challenged on it.

biglouis Fri 26-May-23 22:40:39

People tend to point with their dominant hand. So it would surely depend on which hand is holding the stick. If your right leg or side is weak you hold the stick with your left hand for support. So then you are probably going to point with the right hand. Pointing with the left - the one holding the stick - would be to risk falling as the weak leg would be left unsupported.

Whiff Fri 26-May-23 22:46:21

I have been using a walking stick since I was 29. I don't use it to point or I would fall over. But I do use the handle to hook things off supermarket shelves if I can't reach . I am now 65.

What that man did was inexcusable and someone got hurt through his thoughtless behaviour.

But if I didn't use my stick I couldn't leave my home. But I have had able bodied people walk past me and kick my stick out of my hand causing me to fall and carry on walking when I shouted for help. Luckily other people are kind and helped me. Both men and woman have done this to me. But this was before I moved to the north west . Since living here it's never happened people here are so different .

Marydoll Fri 26-May-23 22:51:29

Why do people have to point with walking sticks?

Not all of us, who use a stick, do it.

Foxygloves Sat 27-May-23 05:23:25

welbeck

Foxygloves

what , you mean intolerant of being smacked in the face with one.
i think i;m pretty intolerant of that tbh.
this episode sounds like an example of toxic male behaviour, aggressive, dominant, with no sense of accountability.
namalt, of course...before anyone starts.
but it is rarely women who do this in a dangerous manner.
they tend to be more aware of other people.
some men are not, and don't care less.
they need to be challenged on it.

No, intolerant of people who generalise, demonise and generally apply universal criticism because of an isolated incident involving an individual who may well have had dementia for all we know. We don’t know the background , nor indeed do we need to -“ never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Toxic male behaviour? Let’s blame all men too.
I would have expected more tolerance on a site with this demographic.

NanaDana Sat 27-May-23 06:14:23

Some ridiculous generalisations here based on an isolated incident, and even drifting into gender-based bigotry. Disappointing.

Franbern Sat 27-May-23 08:18:16

I keep my walking stick looped over my wrist to stop me dropping it on the floor. So, yes, I may use it to point, but have never put anyone else in danger at any time.

However, a few years back, I was rushing for a bus standing at the bus stop and used my stick (waving it in the air), to try to catch the eye of the driver. Result, not using stick properly meant I tripped, fell over with a crash causing a broken wrist and lots of bruises.

FannyCornforth Sat 27-May-23 08:44:54

ExDancer

My husband does it and it drives me mad.

Yup, mine too. It’s infuriating

lemsip Sat 27-May-23 10:02:27

NanaDana

Some ridiculous generalisations here based on an isolated incident, and even drifting into gender-based bigotry. Disappointing.

a lot of starter threads are one offs or ' isolated incidents' as you put it and for you to judge comments as 'ridiculous and bigotry is a step too far! who are you to judge ?

Caleo Sat 27-May-23 10:27:20

Is it good and helpful to warn someone waving a stick around in a crowded place that it's a dangerous thing to do?

I've seen a similar thing happening when someone carrying skis on their back pack hit someone with the sticking out skis in Princes Street Edinburgh

Marydoll Sat 27-May-23 10:44:39

My mother used to hit me with her stick. She had dementia! You can't tell by looking at someone, they don't have a sign stuck to them. Perhaps the gentleman had similar issues, hence the aggressive behaviour.

Foxygloves Sat 27-May-23 10:52:38

lemsip

NanaDana

a lot of starter threads are one offs or ' isolated incidents' as you put it and for you to judge comments as 'ridiculous and bigotry is a step too far! who are you to judge ?

If they are “one offs” then OP needs to recognise this.
Would it have been too hard to ask “ Why do SOME people have to (or indeed tend to/choose to) point with their walking stick ?”
Instead of sweeping generalisations such as “people” or, subsequently, from another poser “ toxic male behaviour, aggressive”
Just pointing out some , indeed many people don’t and it is not specifically toxic male behaviour.
Goodness there are some grumpy grannies.

ExDancer Sun 04-Jun-23 12:29:08

That's why we have a thread called 'Pedants Corner'.