Xmas money as gifts for adults

Lilypops Sun 03-Dec-23 09:37:41

Can I ask how much to give adult children and grandchildren.
I already have bought my gds their presents but am never sure how much to give , My family are in well paid jobs , but there is 6 adults. Is £50 each in cash or gift cards as requested a reasonable amount. What do you think , thoughts please.

Imarocker Sun 03-Dec-23 09:40:59

I think £50 is plenty provided you can afford it. If not, give less. We usually buy DS and DiL a £75 voucher for their local restaurant.

karmalady Sun 03-Dec-23 09:42:07

None of us adults give gifts these days. No need. The dgc get £30 each and they are always very grateful, same as they are if I slip them a bit of pocket-money now and then. They appreciate that hard times are here

HelterSkelter1 Sun 03-Dec-23 09:46:25

As long as you are not using up your
Winter Fuel Payment and leaving yourself economising on heat, it doesn't really matter. Adults in well paid jobs don't really need a gift voucher or cash, but if thats what you normally do then I would have said £25 would buy a book or a good bottle of wine or whatever they want to spend it on.

Just don't leave yourself short. Of course you could be very very wealthy so 50.00 may feel a bit mean!!!!

travelsafar Sun 03-Dec-23 09:55:29

Thanks for this OP. As many of you know im in the process of moving house...18th Dec... and currently paying rent on two properties until 31st Dec. So no christmas shopping being done this year, i will be giving cash or vouchers to my family. Im glad the amount to give has been raised.

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Dec-23 10:12:06

We adults in the family don’t buy for one another now. We just decided we all had enough stuff and enough to do at this time of year, so we just buy for the children. We have a set sum for each grandchild and if we spend less on their present(s) the rest is transferred over. As for the amount you give, it depends entirely on your circumstances of course, but I think £50 is more than enough to buy some nice treats.

lixy Sun 03-Dec-23 10:16:58

Our secret santa spending limit is £20, so £50 sounds generous to me. Somewhere between the two amounts would be fine.

As others have said above any amount becomes scarily large very quickly when multiplied by the number of family members so make sure you are comfortable.

GrannySomerset Sun 03-Dec-23 10:19:42

I give theatre vouchers to both AC and their partners. They are usually used by the end of March but are not dated so are very flexible. Both families welcome something which is a bit if a luxury and recognises their love of live theatre. One lot live in London, the other in Liverpool so have access to a range of theatres. This year they will be for £150.

Georgesgran Sun 03-Dec-23 10:20:23

Whatever you’re comfortable with really. A friend who is neither rich nor poor intends to give her daughter (only child) and her family £1K. She’s giving them another £1K for their joint birthdays in February, as they are going on the ‘holiday of a lifetime’ before their elder child starts school.

There’s always a wide difference of opinion when this sort of question is posed.

kittylester Sun 03-Dec-23 10:22:02

Like others have said, grownups don't get presents at Christmas and we have a sort of amount for the grandchildren though sometimes one will get slightly more, or slightly less, than the others. That's swings and roundabouts really.

We usually buy a 'big' present, a small present and some chocolate! We feel that the number of presents to be opened on the day should be the same.

A hang over from our children were small - getting the number of presents, amount spent and the size of the 'pile' right was very stressful. grin

henetha Sun 03-Dec-23 10:50:06

It depends on financial circumstances really, some families can afford more than others. So there is no definitive answer.

crazyH Sun 03-Dec-23 11:04:44

As I mentioned in a similar thread, I give generously, as each year passes, without depriving myself.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 03-Dec-23 11:10:06

Lilypops

Presents and money? Don't your children have rules? What ever happened to -

One you want
One you need
One to wear
And one to read

Plus a present from grandparents that has been agreed by the parents.

Or were we/are we just mean?

J52 Sun 03-Dec-23 11:12:06

We give our ADCs and DILs an amount of money, usually in gift vouchers for a well known dept. Store. Then they can buy something they need at any time. We also give a couple of small things to open on Christmas Day.
I like choosing and giving presents, not necessarily spending a huge amount.

MrsKen33 Sun 03-Dec-23 11:17:07

We give our adult children £1000, between husband and wife. We do not end it and they do. Simple

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 03-Dec-23 11:41:53

I suppose I just wouldn't do that at Christmas MrsKen33. It seem outwith the "spirit of Christmas" to me. But we all have different views about what that is.

crazyH Sun 03-Dec-23 11:45:33

I’m with MrsKen33 on this 👍

aonk Sun 03-Dec-23 11:46:16

We still give individual gifts to our AC and their partners around the £50 mark. For others such as DH’s brother for example who has a large family we give a family present such as chocolates, biscuits, wine or a board game.

kittylester Sun 03-Dec-23 11:55:05

I find it hard not to buy for our children but we all agreed not to so that's the way it is!

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 03-Dec-23 12:04:49

kittylester

I suppose you do need to thi3nk about their income (and outgoings) as well as your own.

Greyduster Sun 03-Dec-23 12:32:21

I will give my DD and SiL theatre vouchers this year. They enjoy going and there are some decent productions on at our two theatres next year. DS gets a cheque roughly equivalent to the above so that he and DiL can choose their own presents. My only grandchild? I’m very generous!

Candelle Sun 03-Dec-23 12:46:20

A few years ago our family initiated the 'Secret Santa' gift system for buying for adults and we have a limit of £50.00 each. This means that we only buy one gift and the recipient has no idea who bought it. This makes unwrapping gifts on Xmas day itself quite interesting and fun. There is still a small element of surprise.

We have a 'Chief Elf' (eldest granddaughter) who does the draw and pings a message over advising who one should buy for etc.

The grandchildren are excluded from this and are all bought gifts by their parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles (and now, even each other), so they still do quite well!

Husbands and wives also buy for each other although we can usually never think of anything we neither want or need so have to look a bit sheepish as the other couples unwrap beautiful gifts.

As my husband once bought me an ironing board for my birthday and a bag of pearl barley for our thirtieth wedding anniversary, you may understand why I am quite pleased that he doesn't have capacity* to choose and buy a gift for me!

*and no, he is not impaired in any diagnostically relevant way!! Just, 'a man'!

Oreo Sun 03-Dec-23 12:54:59

henetha

This.
You can get two new paperbacks and a box of chocs for £25 after all, so a nice gift.

Oreo Sun 03-Dec-23 12:56:21

Candelle 😲😂

Lilypops Sun 03-Dec-23 15:15:13

Thankyou ladies for your thoughts. I have had a rethink and possibly will reduce the amounts I give. I know they don’t want me to spend a lot on them. But. Being Mum is a hard tradition to break. And I know they worry about me and huge rising utilities.