Replacement Mobile Phone.

Calendargirl Mon 04-Dec-23 07:33:04

My GS has offered me his old mobile as he is getting a new one, for the same price as he would get for it from a company who buys them. The price is very reasonable and I have said I’ll have it. It’s not very old, and a much more recent version than mine.

I am quite happy with my own phone however, it’s a fair bit older than the new one, but serves the purpose fine.

I feel it’s too good to turn down the offer, but my question is, would it matter if I don’t use the new phone yet? Sort of have it ready if my old one conks out? I’m not talking about years away, but not just yet.

I’m used to my own phone, but it was GD’s old one 😂.

I guess I’m lucky to be in line for these discarded phones from GC!

Nanatoone Mon 04-Dec-23 07:39:44

Not sure what type of phone it is but I’d use it now. Newer phones tend to have better batteries (as technology moves on). Wish I had a lovely grandson (I do but here four!) who was so generous. It’s a great way to get a newer version. My last refurbished iPhone was over £600! I can’t afford to buy a new one so I’d be thrilled. I think making sure it has your profile set up will be very important before key details are forgotten by your grandson, it’s very easy to upgrade an iPhone and assume the same for an android these days.

Sago Mon 04-Dec-23 08:28:49

The phone will be fine to use in the future, you will just have to pop your SIM card in there and you are ready to go.

silverlining48 Mon 04-Dec-23 09:22:59

I need to replace my old 5 SE iPhone and have looked at second hand iPhones, but not sure which to get. There are SE phones or 10s and 11 s. Not sure of the difference.
I don’t use it a great deal, but do take photos so a better camera would be good.
Can anyone advise?

silverlining48 Mon 04-Dec-23 09:25:32

If I were in your position calendar girl I would start using the newer phone straight away,
Sorry to have interrupted your thread.

BlueBelle Mon 04-Dec-23 09:47:42

Oh use it now by the time you get round to using it it ll be as old as the one you ve got now and there’s no point in that at all better let him sell it on to someone else he’d probably get more money for it that way
I always buy my grandkids cast offs 🙄🙄 keeps me up to date but just a bit behind them

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Dec-23 10:44:49

silverlining48

Can anyone advise?

We’ve replaced ours twice with similar SE’s silverlining we know our way around them and don’t need any more function.

silverlining48 Tue 05-Dec-23 09:25:19

Thanks Jax.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 05-Dec-23 10:02:36

Is your grandson’s phone the same type/system as the one you are using? If so then there shouldn’t be a problem and you have a grandson who can clear the one he is giving you and set it up for you. After that any queries you might have can easily be answered by him or other grandchildren. The new phone will be more up to date. Perhaps the one you have doesn’t offer any more updates. They stop when your phone is really old.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Dec-23 10:11:34

Lovetopaint

I still get updates on my phone, it’s not an ancient one, well about 2017, which to me is reasonably new, but I know it’s not! It’s because I’m used to it and don’t relish change, which is bad I know.

Yes, GS can sort things out for me. DH asked jokingly is there any warranty with it. His reply was “Yes, there’s 24/7 tech support for free 😂”

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Dec-23 03:35:57

The thing is that should you not like the new phone you can always change the SIM card back to the old one. It’s worth a go. If you don’t accept the offer you might find your battery begins to fail and you could end up wishing you had accepted the more updated option.

BlueBelle Sun 10-Dec-23 04:22:18

But if it’s the same system (say both IPhones) you will barely notice any difference but it ll probably have a better battery and better security better camera etc but it ll still have most of the same features
The advantage is not just about any new features it’s about the things I mentioned above an 11 year old phone is elderly and will die at some stage then youll really regret it especially as you have him at hand to help if there’s any problems

BlueBelle Sun 10-Dec-23 04:27:00

Sorry Clandargirl I read 2017 as 2011 it’s not 11 years old but still worth moving on up 😂