Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Longer term loss

(34 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 17-Jan-16 16:17:12

I have recognised recently that I seem to be extra sensitised to grief, in a way I haven't been for some time. It is now over nine years since my daughter died in a car crash. There was a lot of literature that helped me in the early days and this included advice for the first couple of years, including reaching an apparent point of resolution.

I certainly identified with the idea of stages of grief and would be the first to say that I have been able to build positively and I have found new and unexpected happiness in life. And I would also say - as seems to be echoed time and again, that it takes time, but we can move on from the terrible pain of early loss and manage life well ...

But I also know that for me the tenth anniversary of everything seems very significant and brings new challenges. I have recently found a book online about dealing with longer term loss after the death of a child which is proving to be a helpful read and reassures me that this extra sensitivity in me is another stage of adjustment.

Has anyone else here found the tenth round of anniversaries more difficult and if so, what has helped you?

What makes it difficult for me is that I feel the pain of 'so much' time passed and I feel that my own children have now moved on in their lives and do not carry grief as I do. I think this is natural and I am not critical of them,/I just feel more alone in my grief and now uncertain of when to speak and when to be silent about the DD I lost for fear of upsetting them. I also think wider family members do not forget, but do not say anything about her any more, perhaps for the same reasons.

Imperfect27 Sat 23-Jan-16 11:58:35

Thank you downtoearth. We had Evelyn's ashes interred and her headstone includes the inscription 'Love you forever' from the book of the same name - a family favourite.

Over the years I have gone to Evie's grave less and less. I feel she is 'not there' and apart from keeping it tidy, I am more inclined to keep flowers at home.

However, I always have the sense of a place to go. It must be so difficult not to have that. Hugs ((( flowers )))

nigglynellie Sat 20-Feb-16 18:15:22

I've already posted, so forgive me, but I just want to say, what wonderful poems, so poignant and very moving. My beloved cousin died of melanoma eleven years ago aged 53 ten years younger than me, and it was just horrible. His parents were completely shell shocked, he was, as they say, their beautiful boy. His father is now dead and his mother 91 and mourns him everyday. I have tears in my eyes writing this. It's sometimes so difficult to make sense of a loved ones death.

Imperfect27 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:16:50

nigglynellie how sad for your family. No parent expects to outlive their child, but I am learning through the years that we keep them very close in our hearts. We inevitably think of what might / should have been as we come across significant anniversaries and landmark events and it must be particularly poignant for you aunt to be without her son in her later years. I have been so sad that my DD is not here to be 'auntie' to my little GS. Sending (((hugs))) and flowers

nigglynellie Mon 22-Feb-16 15:06:13

Thank you for your very kind words, and hugs for you too,imperfect27. I'm sure all these threads are really helpful to every one who has experienced deep sorrow. As someone said, you never get over the death of someone you deeply love, you just learn to live with it. I've found that grief has a habit of jumping out and smacking you when least expected. I've coped by being quite severe with grief and very firmly putting it back in its box. This works (sometimes!)for me, but I know not for everyone.

Imperfect27 Tue 23-Feb-16 06:59:55

I know what you mean nn. I have sometimes resented the very real physical, as well as emotional impact of grieving and felt from the outset that I mustn't let it defeat me or define me, but we all grieve differently and how we cope depends on a variety of factors, including the support we receive and other demands upon us. I was able to go gently at first, which was very helpful to me, but within a year I had completely thrown myself into a full-on new career, training to be a teacher whilst still a single parent to three other grieving 'children'.

Looking back, I don't feel I had the time or the energy to grieve very much, but I think the work of grieving does need to happen. My daughter died on an August bank holiday weekend so I have always been on holiday at the time of her anniversary and for the first few years it really hit me hard each time - the greyness descending almost as soon as I singed off from work in July - possibly because I didn't have much time to reflect during the rest of the year. That is getting better nine years on ... the bleak days are fewer and more confined to the week or so before the anniversary, - but not a 'choice' on my part. I just feel like I have been run over by a truck for a few days every year.

I think grief does need to be managed, not given in to, but it is not something we can control, so much as endure and try to move through in positive ways. Not everyone has the emotional strength or support to do that - I feel I have been very fortunate to make a good life beyond losing my daughter. I didn't expect to, but I know she would be pleased for me. xx

nigglynellie Tue 23-Feb-16 10:33:01

When my parents died a poem of the two rats (they weren't!) constantly went through my head. It goes like this.

He was a rat, and she was a rat,
and down in a hole they did dwell,
They were both as black as a witches cat,
and they loved each other well.

First he ventured out, then she ventured out,
and I watched them go with pain,
For where they went, I never could tell,
For they never came back again.

This never fails to bring tears.

Imperfect27 Wed 24-Feb-16 08:37:55

I still catch myself thinking ' I'll phone mum and ask her ...' Being an orphan at any age is still rubbishy! *nigglynellie flowers xx

I think poems and songs quickly take us to very special memories - I think of my dad whenever I hear 'come on Eileen' - try to overlook the lyrics - this was the music to a 'last dance' I had with my dad. For my mum, anything by Nat King Cole. And for my daughter 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen - any of these played unexpectedly on the radio will easily bring tears and smiles too.

mollie Wed 24-Feb-16 09:29:25

There's a song in Les Mis that was a favourite until my son died. Now I can't bear to hear it because it has the line 'bring him home' and whenever I hear it I imagine my son being brought back from London to Buckinghamshire by the funeral directors. Of course it reduces me to tears. There are so many musical associations connected to my son that I couldn't put the radio on for years afterwards. Now I listen to Classic FM for safety. No connections there! Lol!