Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Leaving body to medical science

(32 Posts)
Grandma70s Tue 15-May-18 12:32:51

Just to add that we were given the choice of eventually
having our own burial or cremation, but chose not to. We left it to the hospital. Remains, after all, are not the person. It just depends how you feel about this.

Grandma70s Tue 15-May-18 12:27:01

Both my parents did this, but I don’t know what the process was then. They died in 1997 and 2001, aged nearly 90 and 94. In the end when they died my mother was not accepted, but my father was. I don’t know why. It was such a relief not having to have a funeral for my father. He certainly didn’t want one. Now, of course I know that theres’s no need to have a funeral anyway, but we didn’t know then, and my mother’s was a bit farcical, since she had outlived all of her friends and most of her relations, and certainly had no religious faith.

When my father was accepted, I don’t remember it being at all complicated. We had a lovely family lunch in celebration of his long life, and it was all so much less traumatic than when my mother died.

I would urge anyone to do this. If you can be useful after your death, why not be?

Panache Tue 15-May-18 11:39:36

This is highly commendable and as an ex Nurse with thoughts very much still in the Medical field,this is something I would have liked to do.
However with all the operation scars and all else on my body,including varicose veins!! I know full well I would be rejected so a course I have not even attempted even to take my thoughts any further.

However Good luck stoker48 and all you others contemplating following this route.

glammanana Tue 15-May-18 11:11:13

We have arranged for this to happen when we go,we contacted our nearest University and completed the forms about 8yrs ago,as stated you can be refused and have to make your own arrangements so be aware of that,they can refuse the donation if the person is obese or they have enough donations at that time.
A memorial service can be carried out which is what we are doing and ashes returned if requested for interment into the family grave or remembernce garden.
Our Doctor and families have all the details.

paddyann Tue 15-May-18 10:55:09

there will have to be a burial/cremation when the research is finished,they return the remains to the family .We've stipulated this in our wills.but be aware that there are so many people who are willing to donate their remains that many wont be needed or wanted.You have to make arrangements in case this happens with you.So a funeral fund is still necessary ,speak to a solicitor and he/she can fill in the details for you .

midgey Tue 15-May-18 10:53:24

My husband plans to do this. I think he got in touch with our local hospital and they sent him all the forms and so on. They are a bit fussy! If you have varicose veins and some other complaints/diseases they will not accept you. They may also decline a body because they have ‘enough’ at that time! Check with your hospital.

Stoker48 Tue 15-May-18 10:18:10

I wonder if anyone has experience of being involved with the procedure of leaving their body to medical science? I’m considering this for myself.
From what I understand there would, obviously, be no
funeral in the accepted way but nothing to stop loved ones having a life celebration.
I’m sure there is lots to consider, I’m just at the beginning of this thought process.
I’d be truly grateful if anyone could share their experiences with me. Either they have arranged this or has experience of a loved one who has and, when the time came, was it relatively straight forward?
I dint want to leave my next of kin with a headache!
Thank you