Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Am I being uncaring and insensitive following my loss

(78 Posts)
eazybee Sat 30-Mar-19 12:48:43

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss.
You are absolutely justified in feeling as you do; your friend is thoughtless and insensitive.
Whether you say anything is another matter.
Leave it until you feel completely calm, which may be never.
If/When she brings it up again have something simple and succinct prepared, such as: 'at least you will see your daughter again; I never will'.
Then go.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Mar-19 12:43:51

These are the normal feelings of bereavement even after so many years. Until such things happen to others I'm afraid that they have no conception of how anyone else feels.

Happyally55 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:58:41

I’m at war with myself... almost 10 years ago now I lost my 20 yr old daughter to suicide and to say it knocked my world off it’s axis is an understatement.

I keep in contact, albeit irregularly now, with The mother of a good school friend of my daughters who yesterday messaged me to say how devastated she was that her daughter was moving 3 hrs away for a new life with her boyfriend. She contemplated life not being ‘round the corner’ and when grandchildren arrive and how sad she was. Normally I respond straight away but her words have made me sad & angry so I have not replied yet. I am struggling when I really want to shout that her daughter is not dead like mine, that 3hrs is nothing in the grand scheme of things, that my daughter won’t ever feel the wonderment of holding her own baby let alone me holding a grandchild.

I’m just asking for advice on what I can say when to be honest I feel she is being a) insensitive to me (especially as Mother’s Day is tomorrow and I will forever be broken) and b) over reacting when 3hrs is a mornings travel that’s all whereas I do t ever see my daughter again ?

Just to add a work colleague has this morning posted an emotional message on Facebook that she experienced a terrible dream last night from which she awoke in tears as she dreamed all who she loved were taken from her. A subsequent ‘pity party’ of supportive messages followed. Oh my god it was just a dream!!!!

Help me stop feeling so angry and emotional please. ??