Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Heard my name called

(105 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:57

After Both my parents died, and quite a few years between both of their passings, I distinctly heard them call my name, my dad did within the first week, and my mum did few days after she’d passed, I will also add I definately was NOT dreaming and it was in the early hours, Anyone Else experienced this

bunny17 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:41:08

I've heard mum do this ( she is alive)

NemosMum Sun 01-Mar-20 10:37:26

It's a common experience of the bereaved, especially in the early stages. I have experienced it myself. It usually occurs just after settling to sleep or in the waking phases: hypnogogic or hypnopompic 'dreaming'. There's nothing other-worldly about it, it's just your brain doing its stuff.

May7 Sun 01-Mar-20 02:17:02

When I had my second child in hospital I experienced this and it scared the life out of me. It repeated again about 2 weeks after I came home from maternity hospital and my DH proved to me I was actually ASLEEP. I read about it afterwards and yes lemongrove you are correct. It's when your body is asleep but your brain hasn't quite got there and it's quite common particularly if you are anxious or stressed or just over stimulated. (New baby)
I was very relieved at the time for my DH to prove me wrong as that doesn't happen very often grin

Marmight Sun 01-Mar-20 01:19:52

Not long after I moved/downsized hundreds of miles from our family home to be closer to my DDs and was worried whether I’d done the right thing & was feeling generally out of my comfort zone, I woke suddenly in the wee small hours to see my late DH at the bottom of the bed smiling (he always smiled) telling me that everything would be ok - and then he was gone. I’m very sceptical about Post death ‘appearances’. I want to believe it was him but just wonder if it was just the continuation of a dream .... He has never appeared since then ?

crazyH Sun 01-Mar-20 00:40:35

A few years after y mum died, I was lying on the sofa and just drifted off and I heard my say 'H wake up'...why she woke me up I don't know ...I like to think it was time for me to go pick up the kids up from school.

gmarie Sun 01-Mar-20 00:34:12

I'm also envious, MissAdventure. I've heard many accounts of similar things from hospice patients, nurses and the like and so hoped for an experience like that when my dad died, but no.

MamaCaz Sat 29-Feb-20 20:27:50

I've heard this too - but the person who 'called' me (my mum) was, and still is,very much alive. It seemed so real that I genuinely feared that she had just passed away, or that my father had, because she sounded so panicked.
Fortunately, all turned out to be well, proving that it was nothing more than a very realistic dream, one that I have never mentioned to anyone until now!

EllanVannin Sat 29-Feb-20 19:50:27

Yes, I distinctly heard my late SiL calling me. I was emptying out her home and I heard her call my name from her bedroom while I was in the hall. " Is that you EV ? "

I answered her too ( rolls eyes ) because it was her voice which was so clear I made my way upstairs to her bedroom.
What I was thinking I don't know.
This was in April 1986. My mum died 2 months later too.

Buffybee Sat 29-Feb-20 19:42:16

I had this after my adored Grandma died.
When I was young, I always asked her to let me know what it was like when she died. She said she would.
I was woken at 1am by her saying “Buffy, this is your Grandma speaking”.
She spoke to me for an hour, then said, “I have to go now”, I said, “No! Don’t go” I opened my eyes and it was 2am.
I knew she had been talking and I had been answering her but when I woke, I couldn’t remember any of it.
I was in my early 30’s at the time and since then have never been afraid of dying.

TwiceAsNice Sat 29-Feb-20 19:41:07

I heard my sons voice calling me outside in the middle of the day . I was driving my car onto the drive to park it and nearly crashed through the garage. I was definitely wide awake

Hithere Sat 29-Feb-20 19:14:03

How beautiful they are still with you!

Daisymae Sat 29-Feb-20 18:15:27

No, but I had a dream about of each of my parents after they died that were more than dreams. You would have had to have experienced it to understand but I know that its not unique.
Extremely emotional.

Welshwife Sat 29-Feb-20 17:39:51

According to my father my mother stood up to go to bed and as she turned to go to the door she said - yes I hear you, I am coming now- the last words she spoke. He thought she had fainted but had in fact simply dropped dead.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Feb-20 17:25:54

If only she had some useful words - like the winning lottery numbers for this week...

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 17:18:21

That's so nice to read, I'm ashamed to say it makes me really jealous.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Feb-20 17:10:42

I’ve heard my mum calling my name a few times. The first time was shortly after she died and it scared the living daylights out of me. Subsequent times have been very comforting and lovely to hear smile

Jane10 Sat 29-Feb-20 16:49:36

It's lovely that bereaved people have heard their names being called by their loved ones. I'd love to hear that too but it's not happened to me (yet?)

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 16:46:05

I went through a phase of sleepwalking.

It used to scare the life out my mum!

rosecarmel Sat 29-Feb-20 16:44:05

Not my name, but a shout or loud voice after just dozing off or waking- Loud noises too, or a crowd of people speaking all at once - I've had sleep paralysis a few times- And green, luminescent visions- The most memorable was an intricately carved glass pedestal fruit bowl with fruit in it- I was a sleep walker when I was small- My youngest did the same- I woke one night and found them standing in the doorway, having unlocked both doors that led outside- They just stood there staring out into the night- Another night I woke to find them staring at the bookcase-

Oopsminty Sat 29-Feb-20 16:42:21

I would give anything to hear my mother's voice just once more

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 16:40:13

I long to hear something, someday. sad

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 16:16:45

It’s a common happening, and people are not asleep who hear it but not quite awake either, but coming up out of sleep.
It’s not a ghostly thing at all.
If heard at other times ( when not in bed) then probably in a chair, nodding off or in a daydream state would explain it.

purplepatch Sat 29-Feb-20 16:09:19

I wish I could. Alas, nothing.

cornergran Sat 29-Feb-20 11:04:03

My Dad, the most pragmatic of men, heard my Mum several times. A close friend has heard her husbands voice on many occasions when life has been hard for her. I think something to accept and value.

Nonnie Sat 29-Feb-20 10:57:59

I have and so has my DS, both at times when we needed encouragement.