Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Prince Philips Funeral.

(164 Posts)
Casdon Sat 17-Apr-21 16:27:54

I thought it was a very moving and fitting service, I’m sure it was a huge ordeal for the whole family, but obviously particularly for the Queen, she looked so alone. The Last Post must have been particularly hard. I would imagine she will be glad of a cup of tea now.

Crazygran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:26:47

There must have been very many families watching their sons, daughters , husbands , wives taking part . Particularly the coffin bearers !!
Really hope Her Majesty will be up to celebrating next year ?
I was there for the Diamond celebrations and hope to be for the platinum?

Grandmadinosaur Sat 17-Apr-21 16:26:25

A wonderful service. The procession was beautiful too in the glorious sunshine. Very moving seeing his sword and cap on the coffin and also his gloves and scarf on the carriage. It’s little touches like that that tug at the heart strings. Charles and Anne looked understandably bereft.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:21:11

I didnt plan to watch but at the last minute I did and was surprised how impersonal it was. His name was only mentioned briefly, but he had it planned this way and no doubt there will be a memorial service later.

Chuch Sat 17-Apr-21 16:21:11

Shed a few tears when his carriage, horses, cap and whip where bought into the quadrangle. Also pleased to see Princes William, Harry and Kate walking back to the castle together. Their grandfather would have been proud of them. May he rest in peace a good and faithful servant.

B9exchange Sat 17-Apr-21 16:18:00

Very moving, I thought the BBC did an excellent job, cutting the commentary to the minimum. So sad to see the Queen sitting on her own in her grief.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Apr-21 16:17:44

Beautiful choral music I shed a tear or two. The Queen looked so very small and alone, I was desperate for someone to go hold her hand.

I thought Justin Welbys remarks in the press to remember though she is stoic and will appear dignified to remember she will be heart broken and grieving. Hopefully the press will remember this and be kind.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Apr-21 16:16:19

Yes, a fitting tribute which was for all the world like a typical family funeral. The lone figure of the Queen was quite upsetting but she'll pull through as her mother had been strong enough to do so. She won't be without support.

I admit to being horrified when I saw all the steps leading up to the church but the way they were navigated was perfection without tilting.

Sara1954 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:43

It was moving, tasteful, and perfect.
RIP Prince Philip

AGAA4 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:43

So hard for the Queen when the eyes of the world are on you at a time of deep grief.

Nonogran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:41

It was a truly moving occasion. Hard not to shed a tear. British military precision at its best & a beautiful service. God rest his soul.

Kim19 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:12:39

Beautifully moving music.

Deedaa Sat 17-Apr-21 16:11:16

Crazygran she looked so tiny and old didn't she?
How very still and quiet it was with no crowds.

Crazygran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:06:44

What a wonderfully moving tribute .
It’s times like this that I am so very proud to be British/ Welsh.
I really wanted to give our dear Queen a Cwtch.
So hard for her to have to sit alone as many have done during pandemic.
Thank goodness she has a strong faith to give her support.
Rest in peace Prince Philip .