Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Lighting a candle

(42 Posts)
MawB Wed 16-Oct-19 10:43:41

Tonight all around the world some of us will light candles at 7pm to remember babies lost too soon.

Some babies were lost a couple of weeks past a positive pregnancy test, some we only got to see on screen, some we got to hold but had to say goodbye to heartbreakingly early.

Some people will be remembering a loss from many years ago and some will be lighting candles for a loss so fresh it physically hurts. Some will be mourning a baby no one even knew about, some will be with their families and some will be lighting candles on their own. Some of us will have found our happy endings, some of us will still be waiting and some of us won't know which way to turn.

Everyone will have a different story but sharing those stories will only help us all feel less alone.

Thinking of everybody who is remembering their little lost star tonight x

#breakthesilence #babylossawareness #waveoflight

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:46:07

??

Marydoll Wed 16-Oct-19 10:49:42

Thank you Maw.
?

Nonnie Wed 16-Oct-19 11:11:35

Thank you Maw, brings back the tears but good to know others care.

dragonfly46 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:14:20

Thank you Maw I shall certainly light a candle for my grandson who was taken too soon.

kittylester Wed 16-Oct-19 11:16:58

I knew we could rely on you maw. Thank you!

Willow500 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:19:33

I will light one for the nephew we never knew born asleep 49 years ago.

whywhywhy Wed 16-Oct-19 11:22:27

I will light a one for my brother who was born asleep many years ago but my mam never forgot him. He was called Richard.

Hetty58 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:22:48

Some of us had more than one little loss.

paddyann Wed 16-Oct-19 11:31:38

I'll light one for my daughter who died at 4 days ,her twin who died just 8 weeks into the pregnancy and the other 5 early losses over the 11 years before my last pregnancy in 1988.
Its a pain that never ends.It just becomes easier to live with.

My heart goes out this year to a young friend who lost her baby boy very recently ,he was prem,and doing well.So well she had photographs of him on FB and hundreds of folk congratulating her .How sad he died just a few dayslater.

Selfishly I am glad I didn't have to deal with the grief of all my friends and family when my babies were lost .Sadly that also means that there are very few who know my daughters name .I hope everyone who has suffered loss can find some peace .

ginny Wed 16-Oct-19 11:35:39

I lit a candle for all who have suffered this loss. Especially for 3 little grandchildren who were lost before we could meet them.

Purpledaffodil Wed 16-Oct-19 11:39:31

Thank you for this Maw. I didn’t know about it, but will be lighting several candles. Paddyann, what sad stories. flowers for you.

KatyK Wed 16-Oct-19 13:00:33

Such sad stories. I have been fortunate not to have experienced this but will light a candle for all who have. When I was a child, my baby brother died at 9 months.

lemongrove Wed 16-Oct-19 13:04:46

Thank you Maw beautifully put.Losing a baby is never something that you can forget or ‘get over’ is it, the best outcome is acceptance.

kittylester Wed 16-Oct-19 13:07:24

My candle is for the baby I lost as 22 weeks. I didnt miscarry for 6 weeks.

We fonly think of the baby as a boy to even up our 2 boys and 3 girls. He was due in October 1979.

Also, the 3 babies DD3 lost very early in her pregnancies while her sisters were carrying babies to full term. A sad time!

MawB Wed 16-Oct-19 13:37:17

My own candles will be for our little Walter, born 6 October 1973, died 30 October 1973 and for DD’s much wanted first baby, her pregnancy terminated at 13 weeks as it such severe chromosome defects as to have been unlikely to survive even until term, also October 2014

Smileless2012 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:40:42

I will light a candle for all of you, and for all who have lost their precious and irreplaceable babies.

flowersand my deepest sympathy.

ninathenana Wed 16-Oct-19 17:22:07

? for DD's twin whom we lost at 15 wks. pregnant.

? for the baby she miscarried.

Love and thoughts to all those affected by this.

52bright Wed 16-Oct-19 17:40:51

For my dd's 2nd child miscarried and for all who have suffered the lost of a baby or child.

Septimia Wed 16-Oct-19 17:49:12

I'll light one for the baby that I lost and one for the baby that my DiL miscarried. Loved, nonetheless.

BBbevan Wed 16-Oct-19 18:24:31

Thank you Maw. I have never suffered the sadness expressed in the previous posts. But I remember a young woman I was in hospital with who had lost her baby. I will light a candle tonight.
It is quite a sad story so I hope it is not inappropriate on this thread.
In the 1970 I was in hospital for a hysterectomy. It was a woman's surgical ward and, girls having abortions, girls who had lost babies and hysterectomies were all lumped together in the same ward. One evening, after dinner one,very sad pale girl asked if she could sing us a song. She sang 'My baby has gone down the plug hole ' It was absolutely heartbreaking and I remember it all very well. I have tears in my eyes even now.
I shall light a candle for that baby and with the hope that its mother went on to have another child

mumofmadboys Wed 16-Oct-19 18:38:47

I will light one for our only daughter , stillborn in Nov 1985. Thinking of all others with similar sad losses.

humptydumpty Wed 16-Oct-19 19:02:20

? for all x

Luckygirl Wed 16-Oct-19 19:08:52

flowers for all who have been touched by this same sorrow.

downtoearth Wed 16-Oct-19 19:09:36

My daughter cheryl 15.09.78-03.11.78
Severely brain injured at birth.