Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Coffee in gaden

(37 Posts)
colournanny Mon 25-May-20 09:20:30

Hi everyone I’m a bit confused !!!! Friend has asked if hubby & I would like to go round & sit in garden with them & have a coffee & chat Can we?
Thanks

BlueBelle Mon 25-May-20 09:24:10

Is this a windup

colournanny Mon 25-May-20 09:26:24

No

annsixty Mon 25-May-20 09:29:42

Why in bereavement forum?
I think the answer is no.

annodomini Mon 25-May-20 09:55:25

Officially you can meet up with a friend away from either of your homes, but why on earth shouldn't you go and have a brew with a friend in their garden? I did that, keeping a good two metres distance and had a lovely long chat. No risk whatsoever to either of us.

tiredoldwoman Mon 25-May-20 10:08:42

I would say yes, too. I'm going to a socially distanced barbecue at my daughter's tonight . Paper plates and sanitised fingers . Can't wait !

trisher Mon 25-May-20 10:21:53

If Cummings can drive 250 miles in lockdown you can do as you like.

seacliff Mon 25-May-20 10:38:26

I haven't done this yet, but I might soon. I would take my own drink and possibly chair, and sit a good distance away.

We can meet outside in a park, so why not in a large garden? If there were very little children who would not understand social distancing, that is another matter. We should all use our common sense

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 25-May-20 10:51:19

We did it last week, it was a bit odd, I took our own plates and cutlery, but maybe stupidly forgot cups and glasses so used theirs, however, she is shielded so they hadn’t been anywhere. DD regularly comes into the garden and has a coffee, but doesn’t come into the house.
Not sure what will happen in the Autumn/Winter though, big coats and hats, gloves and scarves and the fire pit, I assume.

harrigran Mon 25-May-20 10:55:05

Why ask the question ? you will do what you want anyway.

Some of us have life limiting conditions and many of us will never see certain relatives again, we accept that but do not need our faces rubbed in it.

Jane10 Mon 25-May-20 10:58:46

We'll be back inside by winter I'm sure. DS has been for lunch in garden a couple of times now. All socially distanced and no sharing of plates etc. He had coronavirus early on but recovered quite quickly. A great side effect has been that he's given up smoking completely.
BTW garden meet ups can be quite short as no access to a loo for the visitor so don't forget to 'go' before you go!

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 25-May-20 11:04:16

Harrigran I don’t think our noses are being rubbed in it, we last saw MIL beginning of March and she died 2 weeks ago yesterday, we weren’t able go to the funeral, but we are getting some relief by meeting people that we are local too, albeit carefully.
It doesn’t stop us regretting not seeing MIL in her last weeks and we are still missing our families who live too far away to visit safely.

Cs783 Mon 25-May-20 11:16:24

Colournanny It looks ok to me according to gov guidelines 1.1 bullet point 2 Sounds like your friend understands these guidelines. Take hand sanitiser?

www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

sodapop Mon 25-May-20 12:37:22

I agree that its ok as well. Outside in the fresh air, sitting apart etc. We have to start taking small steps forward at some point. Enjoy your coffee with friends colournanny

heath480 Mon 25-May-20 12:38:41

Of course you can.

Niobe Mon 25-May-20 13:29:40

I was out last Saturday evening and drove past about 6 elderly people outside in a front garden all socially distancing and having wine. It’s allowed! Anyway lockdown has been lifted by Cummings. Apparently you can legally follow your instincts.

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 14:23:15

No, you can meet in a park or public space - but not in a private garden, £100 fine.

Jane10 Mon 25-May-20 14:28:06

Worth it to me!

Puzzler61 Mon 25-May-20 14:29:01

Official line I believe is “No”,
but if your instincts are that it’s in your best interests to do it, do it.
Keep 2 metres apart.

I don’t think you’d be reported or fined colournanny.

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 15:04:57

We're going it shortly to sit out on the road with suitably distanced neighbours. I may even sit on my front lawn.

It's not even 250 yards away, let alone 250 miles.

The message is now quite clear.

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 15:05:13

Out

MerylStreep Mon 25-May-20 15:18:56

Hetty58
They can fine me but I won't be paying it. I will hire a good barrister and take it to court. Could be interesting.

Jane10 Mon 25-May-20 15:35:25

Ooh good MerylStreep. Do keep us informed. We can form the 'Free MerylStreep campaign!

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 21:08:25

Count me in Jane10!

Furret Mon 25-May-20 21:11:07

Have you seen the photos of the crowded beaches today?

Go and have your coffee and enjoy it.