Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Prince Philips Funeral.

(164 Posts)
Crazygran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:06:44

What a wonderfully moving tribute .
It’s times like this that I am so very proud to be British/ Welsh.
I really wanted to give our dear Queen a Cwtch.
So hard for her to have to sit alone as many have done during pandemic.
Thank goodness she has a strong faith to give her support.
Rest in peace Prince Philip .

Deedaa Sat 17-Apr-21 16:11:16

Crazygran she looked so tiny and old didn't she?
How very still and quiet it was with no crowds.

Kim19 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:12:39

Beautifully moving music.

Nonogran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:41

It was a truly moving occasion. Hard not to shed a tear. British military precision at its best & a beautiful service. God rest his soul.

AGAA4 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:43

So hard for the Queen when the eyes of the world are on you at a time of deep grief.

Sara1954 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:15:43

It was moving, tasteful, and perfect.
RIP Prince Philip

EllanVannin Sat 17-Apr-21 16:16:19

Yes, a fitting tribute which was for all the world like a typical family funeral. The lone figure of the Queen was quite upsetting but she'll pull through as her mother had been strong enough to do so. She won't be without support.

I admit to being horrified when I saw all the steps leading up to the church but the way they were navigated was perfection without tilting.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Apr-21 16:17:44

Beautiful choral music I shed a tear or two. The Queen looked so very small and alone, I was desperate for someone to go hold her hand.

I thought Justin Welbys remarks in the press to remember though she is stoic and will appear dignified to remember she will be heart broken and grieving. Hopefully the press will remember this and be kind.

B9exchange Sat 17-Apr-21 16:18:00

Very moving, I thought the BBC did an excellent job, cutting the commentary to the minimum. So sad to see the Queen sitting on her own in her grief.

Chuch Sat 17-Apr-21 16:21:11

Shed a few tears when his carriage, horses, cap and whip where bought into the quadrangle. Also pleased to see Princes William, Harry and Kate walking back to the castle together. Their grandfather would have been proud of them. May he rest in peace a good and faithful servant.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:21:11

I didnt plan to watch but at the last minute I did and was surprised how impersonal it was. His name was only mentioned briefly, but he had it planned this way and no doubt there will be a memorial service later.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 17-Apr-21 16:26:25

A wonderful service. The procession was beautiful too in the glorious sunshine. Very moving seeing his sword and cap on the coffin and also his gloves and scarf on the carriage. It’s little touches like that that tug at the heart strings. Charles and Anne looked understandably bereft.

Crazygran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:26:47

There must have been very many families watching their sons, daughters , husbands , wives taking part . Particularly the coffin bearers !!
Really hope Her Majesty will be up to celebrating next year ?
I was there for the Diamond celebrations and hope to be for the platinum?

Casdon Sat 17-Apr-21 16:27:54

I thought it was a very moving and fitting service, I’m sure it was a huge ordeal for the whole family, but obviously particularly for the Queen, she looked so alone. The Last Post must have been particularly hard. I would imagine she will be glad of a cup of tea now.

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 16:30:58

The carriage with his gloves. sad

Very appropriate, very moving.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Apr-21 16:38:04

This moved me

“LOOK at the rainbow and praise its Maker; it shines with a supreme beauty, rounding the sky with its gleaming arc, a bow bent by the hands of the Most High. His command speeds the snow storm and sends the swift lightning to execute his sentence. To that end the storehouses are opened, and the clouds fly out like birds. By his mighty power the clouds are piled up and the hailstones broken small. The crash of his thunder makes the earth writhe, and, when he appears, an earthquake shakes the hills. At his will the south wind blows, the squall from the north and the hurricane. He scatters the snow-flakes like birds alighting; they settle like a swarm of locusts. The eye is dazzled by their beautiful whiteness, and as they fall the mind is entranced. He spreads frost on the earth like salt, and icicles form like pointed stakes. A cold blast from the north, and ice grows hard on the water, settling on every pool, as though the water were putting on a breastplate. He consumes the hills, scorches the wilderness, and withers the grass like fire. Cloudy weather quickly puts all to rights, and dew brings welcome relief after heat. By the power of his thought he tamed the deep and planted it with islands. Those who sail the sea tell stories of its dangers, which astonish all who hear them; in it are strange and wonderful creatures, all kinds of living things and huge sea-monsters. By his own action he achieves his end, and by his word all things are held together.”

I think this together with Psalm 104 reflected Philips love for the natural world.

The Flowers of the Forest finished me off!!

Chestnut Sat 17-Apr-21 16:43:23

It all went perfectly, even the weather, and was a very moving ceremony despite the social distancing. The singing was angelic, the music was uplifting, the words were touching.

The Queen looks so tiny and frail, but she always gets through it. I always worry she might stumble and fall. I hope she never has to navigate steps again without some kind of assistance or support.

The whole atmosphere and emotional feeling must have tugged at Harry's heartstrings and made him feel homesick.?

Anniebach Sat 17-Apr-21 16:44:03

A moving, very spiritual service.

LadyGracie Sat 17-Apr-21 16:44:37

A beautiful and very moving service.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 17-Apr-21 16:48:16

The choir was amazing. The whole service was a triumph. Strange not to have a eulogy, but apparently Philip didn’t want one.
I just hope the dreaded tabloids don’t start on W and H and bring in the lip readers etc.

allsortsofbags Sat 17-Apr-21 16:59:01

Very dignified and moving, The Flowers of the Forest got to me :-(

Mollygo Sat 17-Apr-21 16:59:58

Lovely service, though so sad to see the Queen sitting alone. It followed what the D of E had planned. My mum planned her funeral -readings, music, hymns etc and it made it more special for us. I hope his planning helped his family.

seacliff Sat 17-Apr-21 17:01:29

A very emotional and touching service. I know it had to be adapted due to the pandemic, but I think it was all the better for that.

Jane43 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:04:10

It was an amazing spectacle followed by a very moving service. Everything was perfect including the weather and DH and I thought the choir were fabulous.

Cherrytree59 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:07:29

Your Royal highness, Today your wishes were carried out with great dignity and with military precision.

God bless our Queen.

RIP Prince Phillip