Gransnet forums

Bereavement

New baby

(7 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 07-May-21 20:31:17

I lost my mum in February. She had one great grandson who was 4 when she died. Although suffering ill health for several years it gives me comfort that he bought a bit of sunshine into the last years of her life. We have just found out that we have another grandchild on the way and I’m finding my emotions all over the place as she won’t see this baby. Has anyone else felt like this?

ginny Fri 07-May-21 20:52:30

So sorry for your loss but so pleased to hear your good news.
My Mum died when my children were 8, 11 and 14, so never got to see them grow up . She adored them and they her.
Even now that I have 3 grand children , I still feel sad that she cannot see them.
So yes, I understand how you feel but hope you will be able to enjoy your grandchildren and know how happy your Mum would be for you.

Shandy57 Sat 08-May-21 11:23:47

I'm so glad your Mum saw her grandchildren having children.

I'm 64 and my adult kids are 25 and 27, no grandchildren in sight yet - and I wonder if either of them will have children, they are very ecologically minded and concerned about the overpopulation of the planet.

I think your Mum will be smiling down on your new grandchild when he/she arrives, her genes are living on xx

Grandmadinosaur Sat 08-May-21 14:20:58

Thank you Ginny and Shandy. You are so right Shandy re the genes. Although our grandson mostly features the other side of the family he does feature mind around the eye area . I have a photograph of him in my mantelpiece taken side on and boy can you see her in him. ?

nanna8 Sat 08-May-21 14:39:38

Just reading this made feel very sad because we have a lot of grandchildren and my mum only saw 2 of them before she died. My dad saw 6 of them. None of them saw our great grandchildren but that is to be expected. I remember my dad saw one of our grandchildren who was born at 27 weeks gestation a couple of years before he died. He said, ‘ oh, she’s alright, she will be fine’,even though she only weighed 2 pounds. He was right, she is 16 now and a beautiful girl. Life goes on.

EllanVannin Sat 08-May-21 14:49:57

I was lucky in that my mum saw her GC growing up and attended the wedding of one but was too unwell on the day to attend the youngest's wedding so the bouquet went to her in hospital.
However, mum survived long enough to see her GGD up until she was two so that was lovely for her as she died happy to know that all was well.

Newatthis Sat 08-May-21 14:51:51

it's perfectly natural. I am very sad that my mum never saw my DC's growing up to be wonderful people and caring parents. Every happiness to you with your children and know that her spirit lives on in them.