Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any holiday books?

(51 Posts)
ethsgran Fri 15-Apr-11 09:15:19

Looking for quick and easy reads for by he pool. ANy suggestions? TIA

Rosiebee Sat 07-May-11 19:35:57

Kate Atkinson has written 4 books based on the private detective, Jackson Brodie. They're worth reading from the beginning as his own story is woven well through all the books. I believe at least one is due to be filmed for television. Also anything by Phillipa Gregory. I've been really hooked on her Tudor novels and the two books on the Plantaganets, the White Queen and the Red Queen.
Choosing holiday reads is one of the best bits of looking forward to a break away.smile

bluegran Sat 07-May-11 20:53:36

I'm curently reading 'Minding Frankie' and can't put it down either. It something we Grans can relate ot. Also I love detective mysteries.

bluegran Sat 07-May-11 20:55:08

I love Lee Childs book have read nearly them all.

nanny1 Sun 08-May-11 02:02:16

Uh Oh - reminds me I have library books which are overdue sad

adaunas Sun 08-May-11 07:27:01

If you like easy reads, The Cedar Cove books by Debbie Macomber. Kate Atkinson books have all been great.
I borrowed and enjoyed My Best friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson.

If you're a kindler, Sugar and Spice by Saffine Desforges is a great, ( if gruesome) read.

tiggy Sun 08-May-11 09:26:52

Have you read the trilogy by adriana tridgiani, she has written other books as well, lovely life observations with some recipes thrown in, with Italian background, easy reading

nannym Sun 08-May-11 10:00:17

grin

Supernan Sun 08-May-11 20:23:16

Tracy Chevalier's book 'Remarkable Creatures' is a great read. A wonderful story, bringing Mary Anning and fossil hunting vividly to life. I enjoyed it so much I had to go the Lyme Regis for a long weekend.

Granne Mon 09-May-11 13:18:42

If you want to lose weeks out of your life to reading then I can really recomend the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. Absolutely compelling, thrilling, enthrawling and heart thumping. Has anyone else read them? smile

superdupergran Mon 09-May-11 13:52:15

Sister by Rosamund Lupton, a psychological thriller, was brilliant. Tight observations, fast paced and an unexpected twist at the end. This is her first novel, her second is due out this year can't wait!

janlyn44 Mon 09-May-11 17:39:08

Just testing things out !!!

lili Mon 09-May-11 17:58:27

The Help is a brilliant read and anything Andrea Levy writes is fab... and for giggling Alan Bennett is a joy...

Marijane Mon 09-May-11 18:45:02

smile
Maeve Binchy Minding Frankie ,has any one read it and is it a good read ?

Hattie64 Mon 09-May-11 19:17:48

Maggie O'Farrell, I really have enjoyed all her books. My favourite is Mary Lawson 'The bridge' or the Stieg Larson trilogy of books, fabulous

singysmum Tue 10-May-11 00:21:52

I've just read the first two books in the 'Earths Children' series by Jean M. Auel - a brilliant read and can't wait to read the next ones.
Hi Granne, I've got most of the Outlander series on my bookshelf but haven't started them yet - next on my list. A new detective writer I was introduced to recently was Arnaldur Indridason from Iceland. The detective is Erlender and I thought he was very similar to Ian Rankins Rebus so enjoyed those as well.
If your wanting a read on holiday Ethsgran, I hope you have a great time and don't get too sunburnt by the pool. angry

quidlibet Tue 10-May-11 12:18:19

Try Soulless by Gail Carriger, SyFy but funny in parts, Dragonflight by Anne McCaffery.
I have to admit to being a Pern addict!
But both are thinish books so will fit in a bag.smile

George Tue 10-May-11 17:49:45

Try any of Eliza Graham's books: Restitution, Playing with the Moon or Jubilee. Jubilee is a mystery set at the time of the Queen's 25th. The other two are both set in WW2 but are very different - very readable.

Hattie64 Tue 10-May-11 20:01:49

I have just started a book widely reviewed in the Sunday papers, it is "Before I go to Sleep" by S J Watson. It is absolutely gripping to read, I can't put it down, I have hardly done anything today, which is unusual for me. I did order it from the library, as it is not in paperback.
I do hope the Outlander series is good, as I bought the first one in the series today as I am going away for five days on Sunday.
I love all the Scandinavian crime novels, can't fault them., just finished a Camilla Lackberg. Also recommend the French novelist Fred Vargas (French)

crimson Wed 11-May-11 01:44:21

Agree about Rosamund Pilcher [I love The Shell Seekers]. Read Winter Solstice recently. Was amused by the fact that the heroine had hit 'hard times' but could still afford a housekeeper! But I still enjoyed it.

Myfanwy Wed 11-May-11 18:47:06

Mari, I've been contemplating a Kindle for ages. The trouble is I buy my books second hand. Are downloads the same price as new paper books and could you recommend a good site? I like quality murder for holidays. Otherwise, I like to pick a serious author and read everything he/she has written.

eGJ Fri 13-May-11 10:02:43

Chit lit is fine for a relaxing reads, but historical dectection can be an absorbing, but not too taxing a read too. Have you tried any of the Rory Clements books with John (William's brother) Shakespeare as the detective. New one out today. Rather like C J Samson, but during Elizabeth 1's reign.

Granieee Sat 14-May-11 17:36:53

Hipgran, Beach House gripping!
The Maximum Ride Books are good.
Love and hugs

clementine Mon 16-May-11 14:07:42

Some great recommendations , I have just finished Daughters - in -law, it was brilliant and I love Kate Atkinson, her latest one mentione here, wakened early took my dog, was superb, Have a few new ones now to add to my already long list.

PS Another who cant get smilies to work, normally you just click, but it ain't happening this time with these ones!!

nanapippa Sun 22-May-11 21:26:36

Lesley Pearse, a great easy read. Any of her books. They are all believable and well researched. Felt quite bereft when I had read them all smile

Valkyrie Wed 15-Jun-11 17:29:12

smile
I've wondered for ages how to do this and you all know so many authors.
Must go through with pen and paper and get ordering from the library. The Mobile stops right outside my front door