Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books your grandchildren love

(121 Posts)
babyjack Sat 14-May-11 14:44:32

My grandson 3 years, loves " were going on a bear hunt", do others have any favourite books they can recommend.

HildaW Sat 14-May-11 14:48:13

Owl Babies..is brilliant...gives a simple message when you are waiting for Mum to come home...........smile

gma Sat 14-May-11 19:33:07

Our 3 yr old grandaughters favourites (at the moment) are The Tiger who came to tea, Freddie and the Fairy (by Julia Donaldson) and You Choose by Pippa Goodhard (a great book for encouraging lots of talking and discussion!) Let me know how you get on with them!!!

littlemo Sat 14-May-11 19:41:04

My little granddaughter is only 16 months but her favourite books are def the touchy/feely kind - That's not my baby, That's not my monkey etc. Will keep a note of the suggestions for 3 year olds tucked away for future use. Thanks ladies.

babyjack Sat 14-May-11 20:06:23

I find charity shops sell children's books very cheaply.

Each, Peach, Pear, Plumb is another one he loves.

glassortwo Sat 14-May-11 20:15:26

My Grandson loved all the Julia Donalsdon books, he is now 5 and loves his bedtime stories.

He has gone through the Dinosaur series, Roahl Dahl set, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe series, Iron Man and is now in the middle of the Mr Galliano series.

I remember one of my Daughter's early favourite books was peepo, it is lovely to see her copy in her childrens bookcase along side many other favourites.

Poppygran Sat 14-May-11 21:11:08

My youngest grandson is 7 and at home he's very into Horrid Henry and Roald Dhal but when he sleeps here he reverts back to What time is it Mr Wolf, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Aesops Fables and loves looking through his younger books which would lose him a lot of street cred in the playground if his friends could see him.

gma Mon 16-May-11 11:11:11

When our nearly 9 year old grandson was about 3, his favourite reading material was the 'Screwfix' catalogue! The story was not up to much but the illustratons were brilliant!!!!!

Rosiebee Tue 17-May-11 10:05:51

I was an Infant teacher for many years and reading stories was one of my favourite activities. 'A Necklace of Raindrops' by Joan Aitkin is a brilliant book for 6-7 year olds. It's a collection of stories with a magical theme. Children would ask for the stories over and over. My copy, illustrated by Jan Pienkowski - fantastic - was relaced many times as it fell apart from frequent use. When I wanted to read the stories to my grandaughter who's 6, I had to order it from Amazon as I couldn't find it in any bookshops. She really loves it. Try and get the hard backed edition with the Jan P illustrations. You won't be disappointed. smile

lucid Tue 17-May-11 10:28:29

My GD loved Dr Seuss books when she was younger - we would read them together. GS didn't really enjoy reading until he 'found' The Secret Seven, he loves reading now. Every xmas I buy all my grandchildren books and introduce them to books they might not otherwise read.....and I get to talk about my childhood favourite reads with them too.

Eleanorre Thu 19-May-11 22:59:22

Cannot agree more about charity shop books. I have a great collection and only wish they had been there when my book loving children were young. I pay as little as 25p and get out the cleaning spray and clean the pages if required.
I have just bought my grandchild ''The Story of Ferdinand the Bull'' and gave her dad his copy from 40 years ago and it was not new then. It is still in print and was written as a protest against the Spanish Civil war . It is about a bull who refused to fight and wants to just sit and smell the flowers. THe pictures are the same as in the original book and it is suitable from 2 onwards. It was much loved.

grannyactivist Fri 20-May-11 00:02:42

Although my GS is only 16 months old he loves being read to and we have five or six stories every night. When I've done that we have a little ritual where I tell him they're all finished and he insist on 'more', then I read him just one more before putting him in his cot. We both love our story time. (My daughter refers to me sometimes as 'Granny Book'.) We mostly are still reading board books and 'Ten in the bed' is a firm favourite. I can't wait until he's of an age for Burglar Bill.

Heather Fri 20-May-11 00:15:10

Ladies, don't forget Topsy and Tim books. I bought some for my grand-daughter and she loves them. They're a beautiful way to explore every day things, ie T & T go to the park / meet the fire fighters / learn to ride their bicycles, and to prepare for oh, I don't know ... for example, T & T go to hospital / the dentist / have itchy heads (nits!!!) May be they're not her favourites (but they're high on the list) but they are worth reminding you of.

artygran Sun 22-May-11 17:56:44

My GS is four and he loves to be read to. We have been through all the Judith Kerr and Julia Donaldson books. The Winnie the Witch stories are also a favourite. We go to the library once a fortnight and take out half a dozen or so books at a time; some will engage him and others won't. We recently got one called The Witch's Children which he thought was very funny. He likes the Alfie series and - oddly I thought - all the Katie Morag stories about a little girl who lives on a Scottish Island with her family. They are not super exciting, but very engaging. I sometimes think that children like something they can relate to real life as well as a bit of fantasy. For a bit of fun, try also Come to Tea on Planet Zum Zee.

dorsetpennt Mon 30-May-11 09:55:42

I bought several Janet and Allan Allberg [?spelt] for 49p each at a charity shop. I've kept all my childrens' books but some seem very old fashioned now, I haunt charity shops for toys and have had some great deals - huge bag of Duplo bricks for £1.50 for example. My son has done the same once I inspired him - as toys are so expensive and really their use is fleeting.

Eleanorre Mon 30-May-11 22:19:46

Oh yes I am collecting Topsy and Tim for my grandchildren as I loved reading them to my children. They have modernised them a bit but still nice.

GrannyTunnocks Mon 30-May-11 22:50:45

I loved reading Aliens love Underpants to my grandchildren. We laughed so much at it. Then they brought out Dinosaurs love Underpants and one about Santa. They recently enjoyed the Beano, especially Dennis the Menace.

grandmasue Mon 06-Jun-11 15:53:50

Bear Hunt is 2 year old Millies favourite too. We love cuddling up together and being scared!

MrsJamJam Mon 06-Jun-11 17:17:21

Charlie and Lola are favourites, and GS aged 4 likes anything which includes poo!

raggygranny Mon 06-Jun-11 18:56:38

All the Julia Donaldson books, but especially The Gruffalo; Janet and Allan Ahlberg, especially Peepo. The most popular of 'Granny's books' with all the grandchildren from the age of 2 upwards has been The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont, with lots of energetic knee-bouncing for the 'Rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta' bits! It dates from my son's childhood but I think it is still in print.

crimson Mon 06-Jun-11 22:51:25

Peace at Last by Jill Murphy.

artygran Tue 07-Jun-11 18:34:02

I recently got a book from the library for our 4 yr old called Gumdrop and the Elephant (gumdrop is a vintage car). I don't know who enjoyed it more - me or the little one. It was very funny. Also we like the Sir Charlie Stinkysocks books. The younger of my two step-gs's (then 12) said I should read "Mr Gumm and the Dancing Bear". It is totally ridiculous and absolutely hilarious (or is it just that I've got a juvenile sense of humour)!

Libradi Sat 18-Jun-11 17:57:14

One of the best books I ever got for my granddaughter when she was about 3 was a book called 'You Choose' by Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharratt .
It's actually a book without any words but lots of colourful pictures on each page. It's great for the imagination, the child chooses things like where she would like to live, palace, castle, tent etc. How she would like to travel, boat, plane etc. a great book to get children talking. My grandaughter is nearly five now and still loves looking at it, its one of those books where you find something different in the pictures each time. I actually bought two books, one to keep here with me and one to take home, she liked it that much.

It's still available on Amazon.

artygran Sun 19-Jun-11 13:18:28

My GS has this book and loves it too!

glassortwo Sun 19-Jun-11 14:48:10

Rosiebee I have just ordered A necklace of Raindrops from Amazon and managed to get the hardbacked edition with the Jan P illustrations.
gma I have also ordered Freddie and the fairy, cant wait for them arriving!!!!