Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Join Katarina Mazetti to talk about BENNY AND SHRIMP, our May book of the month on Tuesday 14 June, 7pm

(70 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-May-11 10:21:00

For our first Book Club webchat, we've got Katarina Mazetti coming on to talk about Benny and Shrimp. She'll be joining us on this thread on Tuesday 14 June at 7pm

The book was a runaway bestseller in Mazetti's native Sweden and over a million copies have been sold worldwide. Benny is a gentle, overworked farmer, who lives in a chaotically untended farmhouse; the woman he calls Shrimp has a minimalist apartment in the city and intellectual friends. Will love overcome their differences in temperament and the habits of half a lifetime? Or is it all too much a case of Mars and Venus, and are they doomed to stay in their separate orbits?

Put your thoughts about the book here, or any questions you have for Katarina - whether you're nosy about her writing habits and where she gets her inspiration, or about her her own experiences of love against the odds.

You can also read more about the book here or order it from Amazon if you haven't read it yet.

sneetch Tue 14-Jun-11 19:45:26

What do you do when you're not writing? Are all your children grown up?

KatarinaMazetti Tue 14-Jun-11 19:47:31

Good question, Hal! Humour is not considered to be really important or serious by critics "Good reading for summer holidays", they sneer. But I always try to mix comedy and tragedy - the only realistic way to describe life, I feel.
Efflinder - I used 3 or four of the endings, making them into one...it was a nice game.
Annie, I love reading new books all the time. And old favourites in between. Like anything by Ben Elton, Angela Carter or William Thackeray.

KatarinaMazetti Tue 14-Jun-11 19:49:13

Yes Snitch, my children are all grown up now. And I spend a lot of my time playing in bands, mostly folk music, but also bluegrass, ballads and jazz.

Harry123 Tue 14-Jun-11 19:51:41

Are you allowed to talk about what you're writing now?!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jun-11 19:55:34

OK, time's nearly up...so one last question from me. The "message" of your book seems to be that love alway has to involve compromise - and sometimes too much. Is that what you think?

KatarinaMazetti Tue 14-Jun-11 19:56:02

I see now that I missed the point in Hal´s question: interestingly enough, it seem there are subjects people laugh at all over the world. But of course you must understand the joke to appreciate it.
Well, if this chat suddenly comes to an end, I would like to thank you all and I hope we will meet on my home site (see above). I always have plans to go on blogging on it, though I have not posted anything since 2009...But one day I will! Thank you, and keep on reading!

KatarinaMazetti Tue 14-Jun-11 19:57:46

Last answer:
Yes! But it is usually worth it!

KatarinaMazetti Tue 14-Jun-11 20:00:02

Very last answer to Hal -
Iam ALLOWED to talk about it, no one could forbid me, I am planning to be a new and more modern Enid Blyton for a while!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jun-11 20:01:22

Katarina, thank you so much for coming on Gransnet and giving us such an interesting insight into your writing and your life.

It's been a great start to our book club. From state liquor stores to the demands of paper manufacturers to love and graveyards! - Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and views.

Genie Tue 14-Jun-11 20:44:32

Easy to read and enjoyed it, would have liked a more defined ending but suppose it leaves room for a follow up about them sharing a child.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jun-11 13:35:53

I'm sorry I couldn't make the chat. First, I hadn't managed to finish it (although I am so far really enjoying it), and second, the time of the chat clashed with my Chinese class - and I hadn't realised that. I didn't read the OP properly blush

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jun-11 16:25:08

No worries, BecauseImworthit: there will be more! It would be interesting to know if gransnetters think another time of day would be better.

Aurelia Wed 15-Jun-11 21:46:28

What is worrying me Geraldine, is did Katarina answer all of your questions? {wink}

Yiayia Fri 17-Jun-11 08:00:06

Sorry I missed the chat, I am only half way through the book, but am, surprisingly, enjoying it.
I find the insightful comments thrown in without any sense of ceremony really thought provoking and love the light hearted feel of the whole book, without finding it trashy.
What I like most though, is the insight into Swedish life - what they eat for Christmas and so on. I am keen to go and visit now to experience a bit of the culture first hand.

differentname Fri 17-Jun-11 09:36:00

Haven't received mine yet sad.

I was wondering if it was because I was in Australia?

VProudGranny Fri 17-Jun-11 15:18:18

I think she has already written the next chapter - we are waiting for the translation - I enjoyed the book and will be keeping my eye out for the release of the english version

Una Sat 18-Jun-11 20:12:28

Thank you for the book. Unfortunately it isn't my cup of tea. I don't think all that sex is necessary to a good story.

AshleyW Mon 20-Jun-11 21:48:59

Haven't read this book yet but may try it out. Just read amusing blog entry on similar topic. Check out Town mouse and country mouse at:

http://northof59-gloriesandpitfallsofageing.blogspot.com/2011/06/town-mouse-and-country-mouse.html

Made me smile.

AshleyW Mon 20-Jun-11 21:53:11

Have not read the book but will seek it out. I've just read a good blog entry on a similar theme. It's called Town mouse and country mouse and it made me smile.
Check it out at:
http://northof59-gloriesandpitfallsofageing.blogspot.com/2011/06/town-mouse-and-country-mouse.html